Totally Random (But Significant To Me) NSV

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So back when I was heavy, one thing I always wanted was messy, wavy, short hair (perfect for my fairly thick, pretty wavy/curly hair type). With the multiple chins, it wasn't working for me. I kept trying and it looked awful and I'd grow it out. I finally said, "You know, when I reach Goal, I'm going to cut my hair short and messy/bedhead-y"

Then I got to goal, and I kept freaking out about doing it...worried I'd look fat in the face or like a boy (the two issues I had with this hair when I was bigger). I'd decide to do it, then go back, then decide again.

So it took me three years, but now? Short hair! And I think it's pretty darned adorable myself!

• Beautiful!
  • The hair cut looks amazing! It really goes well with the shape of your face. I wish I could pull off a hair style like that.
  • gorgeous! definitely a good choice! : )
  • I love it! You don't look fat or like a boy. It actually suits you quite well. Congrats!
  • very cute!
  • LOVE IT! It looks, cute, fun and really suits you. It's awesome!
  • Aww, thanks everyone

I definitely COULD NOT pull it off before (and I tried) so it's an exciting little win for me.
  • Oh, Amanda, I can so relate.

I cut my hair much shorter too after I lost a lot of weight.

Or rather, because I do not wholly trust my own judgment in aesthetic matters, my well-loved hairdresser, Patrick, whom I have been with longer than some people are married, celebrated my weight loss by exclaiming to the ceiling in the salon: "Thank you, Jesus! Now we can cut your hair short, the way it's meant to be."

Had he done so years ago, I would have felt like a pin-head, or like a kid's disproportionate snowman, made of two big stacked mounds with a tiny snowball up top.

After I lost weight, as happens with many women, my neck & collarbones emerged, my cheekbones appeared, my chin disappeared & as my chipmunk cheeks deflated, my eyes got bigger. So I had the "good bones" to carry it off. A bit of the gamine emerged. I'll never be Audrey Hepburn. (Now THERE'S a woman who always looked best with short hair or with her hair up.) Or young Mia Farrow. But I finally found my look, which was always meant to be short, short, short. It was such a relief to figure that out. Like finally cluing into part of my essential identity.

I wish you much joy with the short & sassy, the finger-combing & the rumpling, the styling products with interesting names & etc. You earned it, girl.
  • Love it! I wanna do the same thing when I get to goal!
  • You look gorgeous !
  • It looks great and you look younger!!
  • So pretty! Your face shape really suits the cut; enjoy it Amanda!
  • Super-cute. Congrats!
  • Thank you all so much for the compliments. I worked out and had no time to shower, so I ran a blowdryer and fluffed it for a few minutes (less than 3) and it was magically cute again! MAGIC POST WORKOUT HAIR!

Saef - you just made me feel SO much more normal. Both for my NSV and for the fact that I leave the aesthetic decisions to my wife and my hairdresser, both of whom are much better at that sort of thing than I am.