3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   "Sticking" Weight (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/250782-sticking-weight.html)

rachels77 01-17-2012 10:32 AM

"Sticking" Weight

Good morning, all!

I just had a quick question - did any of you have a particular weight that you seem to be stuck at? :( I've been losing pretty regularly since beginning the program in August, but it has slowed wwwaaaayyyy down when I hit the 180s... (50 pounds lost!) I went from 3-4 pounds per week to 1-2.5 pounds. I know I should be grateful for those pounds, but I don't know if it is considered a plateau when you're actually losing?

My consultant said that sometimes you have a harder time losing once you reach a weight that your body was used to for a while... have you heard that? I'm not sure about it, as my body hasn't been this size since before I had my daughter... ten years ago!

Anyway, any thoughts/advice would be sooo appreciated...

Tamikl 01-17-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachels77 (Post 4175981)
Good morning, all!

I just had a quick question - did any of you have a particular weight that you seem to be stuck at? :( I've been losing pretty regularly since beginning the program in August, but it has slowed wwwaaaayyyy down when I hit the 180s... (50 pounds lost!) I went from 3-4 pounds per week to 1-2.5 pounds. I know I should be grateful for those pounds, but I don't know if it is considered a plateau when you're actually losing?

My consultant said that sometimes you have a harder time losing once you reach a weight that your body was used to for a while... have you heard that? I'm not sure about it, as my body hasn't been this size since before I had my daughter... ten years ago!

Anyway, any thoughts/advice would be sooo appreciated...

Idk...but the more weight one starts out with tend to lose larger numbers in the beginning. Once you get closer to a weight your body is comfortable at, it does slow down. Could be a plateau...but usually with those, there is a period of no loss. Certainly no cause for concern, as you are still losing :) It has taken me 6 months to lose 50lbs...whereas there are others that obviously lose much faster. We are all different :) Be sooo proud of what you have accomplished...and be patient. Those that lose at a slower rate tend to keep it off...is what I am told!

pattyhues 01-18-2012 12:29 AM

Your body is getting use to this new way of life. I came to the conclusion that my body must be now going through the adjustment period but after that period it just falls off. So be patient.

Good luck.

stimkovs 01-18-2012 08:02 AM

hey! your body is adjusting.

i started at 269, and i have had issues with any number ending with an 8. i get stuck there for 2 or so months, and then i DROP faster then hot cakes to the next number ending with an 8.

it's wierd what tricks are bodies are up to right?

runningfromfat 01-18-2012 08:09 AM

Yeah.. 1-2.5lbs a week is definitely NOT a plateau! It's just that you're getting closer to your ideal weight and your body can't reach as large of a calorie deficit. Also, as we get closer to our ideal weights our bodies are more and more reluctant to give up the extra weight.

FWIW, I lose on a scale of more like 2lbs/month (sometimes up to 4/bs, sometimes none at all) so your weight loss sounds absolutely speed to me! ;)

Oh... and I was both 175lbs and 185lbs for quite a while before this journey and never had that issue. It did take a bit of time to reach 175lbs BUT that has more to do with my cycle (I hit 175lbs before TOM and then I often have to wait until after I ovulate to loose again). After reaching 175lbs I barely even saw it because I dropped a few other pounds in quick succession. Our bodies don't lose in a nice, neat linear pattern because there are just too many factors going on in our bodies that contribute to the number that we see on the scale. :dizzy: The weights I did get stuck at for longer periods of time (190lbs, 169lbs) were not weights that I had ever been for any significant amount of time before this journey and both made sense (the first I started weight lifting then and the second I took a mini-maintenance break for the holidays and I think I was retaining water for awhile afterwards too).

RRB2 01-18-2012 10:12 AM

Yes, I have the same thing happening. I always get stuck on 213, 207, 201 for weeks at a time (I just noticed that these numbers are 6 lbs apart).
Last 3 times I became pregnant at 213; 207; 207, respectively.
I was researching "cell memory", but in the end just gave up and decided to do my best.
I go for weeks at a time without a loss and then wooosh! 3-4 lbs gone overnight and then I stay at this weight for 2-4 weeks.

rachels77 01-18-2012 12:53 PM

Thanks, guys. Running - I appreciate your insight on the non-linear weight loss... such a neat way to put it!

It helps so much that I know I'm not alone - I hope to keep going and not get discouraged with the numbers head game... you know?

I guess it doesn't help with my TOM being all messed up since losing weight... yikes.