MRC in the Fast Lane

• Does anyone have any ideas for lunches and dinners for a person with a crazy schedule. We are sooo busy and it gets hard to stay on program sometimes. I'm kind of burned out on salads because I ate them all summer.
  • Quote: Does anyone have any ideas for lunches and dinners for a person with a crazy schedule. We are sooo busy and it gets hard to stay on program sometimes. I'm kind of burned out on salads because I ate them all summer.
    I try to make a few things ahead of time for my protein (baked/seasoned chicken, buffaloaf, or texas chili from the MRC cookbook) and eat the steamer veggies from the frozen section. All of it can be heated up in the microwave within a few minutes.
  • I have also found that lunchables without the crackers are a good quick to grab, carry-able protein. Just only each the cheese for lunch a few times a week. Pair those with frozen veggies....and I've been loving a container of frozen fruit for lunch...it thaws before lunch and is cool and thawed by lunch time.

Also, they aren't my favorite thing, but the blueberry muffins from the cookbook are not too bad for lunch. Its protein and fruit and a creamy HNS. Just add veggies.
  • and don't forget the nutra bars and shakes can be used up to 3x's a week, those will be handy in for a long day as well, I tried the chocolate cereal bar yesterday and it was delicious!
  • I cook up about 8 chicken breasts at a time and weigh and freeze them. I keep the regular and hot and spicy bbq sauce by Walden Farms and Hot & spicy Mustard to give my chicken flavor. I also love the Waldorf Salad recipie. It can be made up the night before and is very filling. I am also super busy but have found if I make a few things ahead of time it really helps.

I also have a great recipie for Tuna Quiche that you can make ahead and get 3 meals from it. I make it and freeze it Here it is

1 oz shredded sharp cheddar
    1 whole egg
    8 oz of tunafish (drained)
    one 12 oz pkg of birdseye steamfresh brocoli, thawed and chopped

mix all ingredients together, add what ever spices you like, bake at 350 in a pie pan for about 30 minutes (be sure to spray pan well with cooking spray) . Makes 3 servings.

This is a great one to heat in micro, but I have eaten it cold and it is yummy.

• Quote: Does anyone have any ideas for lunches and dinners for a person with a crazy schedule. We are sooo busy and it gets hard to stay on program sometimes. I'm kind of burned out on salads because I ate them all summer.
    Joanie -

I'm in Lincoln too. Have you ever attended the cooking classes they have at the center? I've been able to get some great recipes from there including several lunch ideas. In fact, I believe the October class was on portable lunches. If you ask a consultant they will email you the recipes.
  • Oh wow! can you post or email? My center only has cooking classes on weekday evenings when my schedule is packed with running the kiddos around. I could do with some portable lunches too. The bars and shakes are fine in theory but in reality I find it exceptionally hard to stay on program when I use them because I'm absolutely starving by dinner.
  • They even have tuna in packets so there is virtually no draining & of course you don't need a can opener!!! I would like to see the portable lunch menus your class had. That is such a great idea!!
  • Thanks for all of the ideas from everyone. These are all really great ideas. My problem with going to the classes at the center are that I take two night college classes so it seems like the classes at the center are always the same nights I have my other classes.
  • Joanie, tell your center about the dilemma with the classes. When there is a class I want to go to that I can't attend, my center usually prints me out the information and talks through it quickly with me during my meetings. They want to help you learn. Just explain your situation with them.
  • I wish they'd do daytime classes.. I probably won't ever get to join a class because they are all at 5:30 at night and that's impossible for me with 4 kids in the evenings.. but if they had some during the day while they were in school I'd take a long lunch break from work and attend for sure..