3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   Ground Turkey Greasy Taste (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/198177-ground-turkey-greasy-taste.html)

Mary1011 03-31-2010 04:23 PM

Ground Turkey Greasy Taste

I've used ground turkey in some recipes but it seems like everything I make with it just has a greasy taste from the ground turkey. I'm using 93/7 and draining it but I can't seem to get the greasy taste out of it. Does anyone have any helpful ideas on this?

Nadine 03-31-2010 04:37 PM

I rinse mine after cooking, but I'm not sure how much that will help with the greasy taste, I don't know if I've noticed it.
I'll be checking it out next time I cook it though

RonnieAdl 03-31-2010 05:28 PM

The last thing I would think is that ground turkey would be greasy. I usually have to add some grape seed oil to it so it isn't so dry. If I don't I have to listen to my husband whine about how dry turkey is.. I only use the breast 99% fat free one though so maybe that is why. Try the 99% lean one and you may find it is not greasy..

Cheers!

Ronnie

angelskeep 03-31-2010 05:39 PM

I dont usually post int his forum, but I think maybe I can help with your question. The 93/7 has dark meat in it as well as white meat. Try the kind that is white meat only, it's so much better, has a better texture, much firmer than the other and is not so "pasty". I despise the kind that has the dark meat in it. EWWW! I gave up years ago because I didn't know there was a difference...no idea that there was the white meat or breast only too. I tried it again a few weeks ago when I started counting calories, and got the "right" kind this time and we are really liking it for burgers, meatloaf and I even made some salisbirdie (salsibury) steak the other day that was AWESOME!

Barb

karla 03-31-2010 07:37 PM

Make sure you are using ground turkey breast. It will make a huge difference. Like Ronnie said it is 99% fat free and is a bit dry, but it has a nice flavor and is an extremely lean meat.

Mary1011 04-01-2010 09:49 AM

Very nice advice everyone. I didn't realize there was a difference either. When I asked about the ground turkey at MRC they said as long as it's 90 or above it'd be fine. The pasty factor is a turn off as well. Where do you find the 99% FF all white meat? Should it be in the same area?

lora m 04-01-2010 10:55 AM

I don't always use ground turkey for recipes like burgers. Sometimes I'll just whizz up turkey breasts in a food processor (for a very short time, you should see small pieces rather than a complete mush). If I'm adding something like herbs or spices I'll blend it together. It works well and generally tastes nicer, but the ground turkey I can get here doesn't usually specify its origin so it probably isn't made solely from breast meat anyway.

angelskeep 04-01-2010 12:02 PM

In my area, both the super walmart and albertsons carry the breeast only white meat ground turkey stuff. It's by the other turkey products. Our brand is honeysuckle white, but I think Jenni-o also makes it. You just have to make sure it says turkey breast, not ground turkey, and it will def. be more than 93% lean.

Barb

Shannon in ATL 04-01-2010 12:50 PM

Watch out for the ground turkey brand "Honeysuckle White" - it isn't actually all white meat turkey. :)

I get mine at Target, Publix, Kroger, Wal Mart. Jennie-O makes one that is often cobranded with coupons for The Biggest Loser that I find at Target. Kroger & Publix sell their own packaged and usually also have a Perdue or Jennie-O version.

Getting the all white turkey breast will definitely cut the greasy taste and feel. I don't get any of it with mine.

MGunz 04-01-2010 12:53 PM

Turkey Burgers

I have made Turkey Breast Burgers once so far. They were so dry that i could hardly eat. What solution can i use for this?

karla 04-01-2010 10:00 PM

Have any of you tried the turkey meatballs from the cookbook? I changed the ingredients a bit to my liking & removed the chili powder but added Mrs. Dash Italian Medley seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, chopped bell peppers & green onions. They are delicious. If you bake spaghetti squash & then "scrape it out" (you get a pasta like consistency). This meal has replaced our weekly spaghetti & meatball dinner. :)

MGunz 04-02-2010 09:30 AM

Spaghetti Squash

Ok i am not much of a cook but am quickly learning. Can you buy Spaghettie Squash in the frozen food selection or do you have to slice it your self... Going to try it this weekend:o

karla 04-02-2010 07:48 PM

I buy it whole in the produce section. Cut it in half. Take out all of the seeds & loose "guts". lol. Put it in the oven on a cookie sheet for an hour, but spray it with Pam first. After it has cooked for an hour then scrape it out with a fork. Enjoy :)

champagneblond 04-03-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karla (Post 3230054)
I buy it whole in the produce section. Cut it in half. Take out all of the seeds & loose "guts". lol. Put it in the oven on a cookie sheet for an hour, but spray it with Pam first. After it has cooked for an hour then scrape it out with a fork. Enjoy :)

Hi Karla. When I was a kid, I hated yellow squash and yams and sweet potatoes. They actually made me barf! So, my question is about the spaghetti squash...Does it taste like yellow squash? I am afraid to try it! Silly, I know, but childhood memories are VERY powerful! I have not seen it in the produce section where I live. Just wondering...
Marianne

motengirl 04-05-2010 10:32 PM

I cant stand the smell of spaghettis squash!!!! I just manage to use zucchini cut in thin strips