Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #1  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Help!!! Please Tmi Warning

Hey all!! Ive been on MRC since May...reached goal, etc etc Yay me.
Ok
So, i recently quit smoking (once again, YAY me!) It has been 13 days. The problem, is that it has ALSO been 13 days since ive been REGULAR, ie had regal bowel movement. 2 days ago, i managed to have a SMALL one, and one other time as well. Basically, ive been constipated for 13 days.

Has anyone tried the old Prunes method to relieve constipation? I just bought a box of dried prunes, and ate one serving ( a quarter cup). Is that going to be enough to get things going? Did i eat too much?? How soon can i expect relief?? I have literally gained 6 pounds in 13 days, and it is ENTIRELY gas and you know what. my tummy is firm, and i look like im 4 months preggo! VERY UNCOMFY

Please help, if anyone has any experience with this. Ive also been taking MRC's internal cleanser, the fiber packets, and this weekend took a stool softner. Dont want to HAVE to resort to harsh laxatives, but will if it comes to that
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/159/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Ok
So, i recently quit smoking (once again, YAY me!) It has been 13 days. The problem, is that it has ALSO been 13 days since ive been REGULAR, ie had regal bowel movement. 2 days ago, i managed to have a SMALL one, and one other time as well. Basically, ive been constipated for 13 days.

Has anyone tried the old Prunes method to relieve constipation? I just bought a box of dried prunes, and ate one serving ( a quarter cup). Is that going to be enough to get things going? Did i eat too much?? How soon can i expect relief?? I have literally gained 6 pounds in 13 days, and it is ENTIRELY gas and you know what. my tummy is firm, and i look like im 4 months preggo! VERY UNCOMFY

Please help, if anyone has any experience with this. Ive also been taking MRC's internal cleanser, the fiber packets, and this weekend took a stool softner. Dont want to HAVE to resort to harsh laxatives, but will if it comes to that

Have you tried Dieter's Tea? You can get it at health food stores. You might want to try that. The tummy being firm thing combined w/that much bloating like you're 4 mos pregnant makes me nervous. You might want to call your doctor, too, and see if he/she has any recommendations. The center has recommended Dieter's Tea if I get "backed up" but I've never had to resort to it.
shopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #3  

I used to work at a CBRF and we would give constipated residents prune or apple juice. Sometimes, even a cup of coffee did the trick. A small cup and it almost always worked within 6 hours. If you want to wait it out try massaging you abdomen. It can help blood flow and digestion. Don't wait too long though! If you are worried, at least call a doctor.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Ok

Are you passing gas? If yes, trust me and use Miralax, start with one capful in 8 oz of fluid tonight - go to the store and get it, if no relief repeat in am and up to three times a day. This is safe to be used daily, is not a harsh laxative and is not absorbed/does not effect diet either. If this does not relieve you by tomorrow try MOM (Milk of Magnesia - which will clearly do the job!). Be sure you're getting in plenty of water and be sure to f/u with your PCP if this becomes a pattern. If not passing gas, call PCP. Send me a PM if you have more q's.

p.s. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SMOKING CESSATION!! SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!!

Last edited by Karen1234; 09-28-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/169/130

Height: 5'2"

Ditto what Karen said. Another nurse trick is to take prune juice with a pat of butter in it. Warm it up until butter melts. Drink warm. Test to make sure it is not too hot first! Congrats on the smoking cessation!
Lori123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

Thnks everyone, for all your help and information!!
I finally got a hold of my doctor last night, and, due to the amount of TIME it had been, he had me resort to drastic measures! Im sure i dont have to explain?? Needless to say it provided immediate relief! Im going to continue taking extra fiber and the softners, until regularity resumes....i feel better today!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #7  
Shelby

S/C/G: 153/151/130

Awe congrats on meeting your goal and on quiting smoking!! I quit smoking about 6 years ago now...with only a few druken relapses...

Ok so onto the question at hand...I would resort to a over the counter laxative...13 days is quite sometime...

Now I'm not sure how that could correlate into quiting smoking...but I guess if you're losing a stress relief method that it could translate into your body tensing up...

Now not to compare apples to oranges...or cats to people...but when my cat got backed up severly it ended up blocking his urine flow and lead to more complications...so in the event that we're similarly created I wouldn't wait long to get help...
dietingagain22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

DietingAgain- it correlates to smoking for 2 reasons (and apparently this is a very common problem/side effect when you quit)... #1) smoking is a Stimulant, and therefore "stimulates" to go, for a lot of smokers. #2) Psychological... i wake up in the am, have my morning cup of coffee, and my morning cigarrette, and then its time to go!

Thanks for the congrats!! Now im waiting for my mind to catch up to the fact that im SKINNY.... i just dont see it yet. it so weird!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #9  
Shelby

S/C/G: 153/151/130

Great news to hear you're better!! Looks like you were posting your update just as I was posting my reply!!

Well you look soooo skinny in your picture so eventually your mind will catch up to you...someday my body will catch up to my mind and be skinny again too...doing good during the day but the pint of ice cream last night may have been a bit excessive LOl today's a new day!!

Congrats again on the weight loss!!
dietingagain22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

thank you!!!! Ive been having a rough week too, as far as being able to keep my little sausage fingers out of crap i know im not supposed to eat!! Good luck!!!