Old 07-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #1  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 299.6/200.6/140

Height: 5ft 2in

Default Anyone have a hysterectomy and on hormones?

I am wondering how many other people that are doing MRC have had a hysterectomy and taking hormones. If so has the counselors at MRC ever said anything about it being harder to lose weight since taking the hormones etc?
Trying2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

I was told last Monday I needed a hysterectomy ASAP. But I'm going to put it off until I hit my goal weight. I'll ask my gyne next time about the affects of hormones and weight.

I think hormones can make it harder to lose, but I'm not sure.
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/130/135

Height: 5'3

The weight will come off, but it may be slower than the progress other people see. I have a hormonal imbalance and am taking hormones and I put on quite a bit of weight with the added hormones. At MRC I was able to get off my weight even though it was a little slower I was seeing progress almost every week.
jewelz535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/172/140

Height: 5'5''

I was thinking of starting a thread asking if post-hysterectomy women w/o ovaries w/o hormones were doing ok w/ weight loss. I'm in surgical menopause for almost 8 months now and not on hormones on account of cancer, but I lost 13 lbs. post-surgery and have maintained the loss for the past 7 months. I'm surprised at that actually , because I heard menpause causes difficulty w/ weight loss. I do wish could get the weight loss ball rolling again (and I will), but I have been lax in cutting the amount of food I'm eating and I need to increase my activity. I have heard people complain of weight gain on hormones, but it is hard to say if the hormones are the cause or if they are eating more and moving less. Is it necessary for you to use hormones?
shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #5  

I have been in surgical menopause for over 25 years and was on estrogen for about 20 years. I found it very hard to lose weight during that time, but did lose 40 pounds after I retired 3 years ago. That was by exercise and watching what I ate. Then my weight loss stopped no matter how much I exercised and I still had 25 pounds to lose. I am now on day 20 of MRC and have lost 7 pounds. That is slower than most people (I think) but I am happy to start losing again.
ali g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm not on MRC but had a hysterectomy at age 45. I still have my ovaries though and went into menopause about age 50. My first round of hormones made me gain about 8# which my doctor said was because the dose was too high. She cut it in half and I haven't had any problems since.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote