Old 10-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #1  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Opinions on Walden Farms products

My center recommends Walden Farms for stuff like syrup, salad dressing, or marinara sauce, but when I looked at it in the store, it looked a little gross (especially the marinara sauce). If you've tried one of their products, what did you think of it? So far I've been using my normal sugar free syrup (only a teaspoon per serving, so not much), but they say that's not good to use, so I was thinking about giving Walden Farms a shot.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

im a calorie counter i dont do MRC but from my personal opinion the stuff that i have tried is not so yummy. I would rather have less of the real stuff. I bet if you post this over in the general chatter or the foods section would prolly be better you would get a lot of responses.

Last edited by CandyKisses0204; 10-04-2008 at 09:30 AM.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238.5/155.5/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtara84 View Post
My center recommends Walden Farms for stuff like syrup, salad dressing, or marinara sauce, but when I looked at it in the store, it looked a little gross (especially the marinara sauce). If you've tried one of their products, what did you think of it? So far I've been using my normal sugar free syrup (only a teaspoon per serving, so not much), but they say that's not good to use, so I was thinking about giving Walden Farms a shot.
Hi Tara,

I really like the Walden Farms syrup. I use it just about every morning on my pancake. It tastes pretty similar to my other sugar free syrup. I've got 3 other friends on the program and they all like it too. I haven't tried the marinara sauce so I can't help you there. I know my mom loves the dressings. I'm not a dressing person so I haven't tried them.
KeepinOnandOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #4  
MRC Repeat Offender

S/C/G: 251/151/151

Height: 5'9"

I love the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. That's really the only product I use regularly. A friend of mine makes a good dipping sauce for boiled shrimp using the thousand island dressing + dijon mustard.
Finz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My mom always wanted to try them (frankly they looked pretty yucky to me, but I like so few calorie-reduced products, especially reduced that low; that I've never been tempted to try them).

One Christmas, I put together a basket for her of diet-friendly products, including several Walden Farm products. I only remember one, the scampi sauce.

When I asked mom how the products were, she said they were not very good at all (which if she didn't like them, I concluded they were hideous, because she has a much higher tolerance for reduced-calorie products and artificial tasting ingredients than I do).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/154/135

Height: 5'3''

I'm not a huge fan of the salad dressing..But.. it's convenient and it's edible..Has anyone tried the marinara? Because I don't like the tomato soup .
cowgirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #7  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Quote:
I've only tried the salad dressings & the chocolate sauce. I like the Honey Dijon & the Creamy Bacon. The Bleu Cheese is okay. Not crazy about the Ranch on a salad, but it mades a good substitute for mayo in chicken salad or tuna salad. The chocolate syrup is okay. I haven't seen the marinara. But I was just looking on their website - now they have calorie free whipped peanut spread?? And calorie free mayo. Haven't seen them in stores yet, but I haven't looked for awhile.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #8  

Quote:
I haven't tried them in years. I remember using the dressings & didn't care for them. I think I might try them again though. I've found that most all the dressings are pretty good when I mix in my teaspoon of flax oil.

The peanut spread sounds interesting. I noticed on their calorie comparison chart though that they 'estimate' a typical pnb sandwich to have six tablespoons of pb--then they don't give quantities for their own product--I bet it's NOT six tablespoons with no calories!
pbolton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #9  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbolton1 View Post
I noticed on their calorie comparison chart though that they 'estimate' a typical pnb sandwich to have six tablespoons of pb--then they don't give quantities for their own product--I bet it's NOT six tablespoons with no calories!
I noticed that too - I LOVE peanut butter, but even I don't put 6 tablespoons of it on a sandwich!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #10  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl76 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the salad dressing..But.. it's convenient and it's edible..Has anyone tried the marinara? Because I don't like the tomato soup .
I'm not a fan of the tomato supplement, either. It has too much of a metal taste or something. I bought it for chili, and I ate the whole bowl that I made (mainly because I had to get in my protein), but I won't make it again. In fact, I should probably take them back to the trade basket.

I still don't really understand how this stuff is calorie free-- I mean, what IS in it? A little scary, IMO, but I, too, love peanut butter, and that might just be worth a try if it shows up on my grocery store shelf. Also, thanks for the maple syrup suggestion. I will give that a try. For now, I just use the spray dressings, so I'm not desperate for salad dressing yet.

Thanks for all the input!
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I noticed that too - I LOVE peanut butter, but even I don't put 6 tablespoons of it on a sandwich!
I could easily eat that much on a spoon though

I wonder how it would work in recipes that call for tahini or some kind of peanut sauce? It might be good with some stir fry veggies.
pbolton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 234/seetracker/170

Height: 5'7

I have tried some of the walden farms dressings, however am not a big fan of them as dressings, i would prefer the sprays..
HOWEVER, the 1000 Island is amazing for making a "mock" ruben. I take Sourkrout ( SP)? half of a seving of chicken( 4 or 6 oz) and half of a seving of swiss cheese (1-2 oz)and then put it all in the microwave with a couple TBL of the 1000 Island. It is wonderful!! I want to try the blue cheese one i got on my buffalo seasoned pre cooked chicken...
LauraSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #13  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbolton1 View Post
I could easily eat that much on a spoon though

I wonder how it would work in recipes that call for tahini or some kind of peanut sauce? It might be good with some stir fry veggies.
I'm with you - on a spoon is one of my favorite ways to eat peanut butter!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepinOnandOn View Post
Hi Tara,

I really like the Walden Farms syrup. I use it just about every morning on my pancake. It tastes pretty similar to my other sugar free syrup. I've got 3 other friends on the program and they all like it too. I haven't tried the marinara sauce so I can't help you there. I know my mom loves the dressings. I'm not a dressing person so I haven't tried them.
KeepinOnandOn, I think I go to the same center as you. Where do you find the Walden Farms products?
fattgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 238.5/155.5/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattgirl View Post
KeepinOnandOn, I think I go to the same center as you. Where do you find the Walden Farms products?
Hi Fattgirl, I go to the Bellevue center. I didn't realize you were in Nebraska! When did you start? I started pre-conditioning 9/9 and the beige menu 9/13.

I find the Walden Farms products at HyVee or Bakers. I think HyVee (Shadow Lake) has a bigger selection. They are in the health food section at HyVee and they are in with the regular dressings at Bakers. They have syrup, dressings, chocolate syrup, chocolate dip and a couple of other things at HyVee. I get my bison there too in case you are interested.
KeepinOnandOn is offline   Reply With Quote