Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 185/162/148

Height: 5'6"

South Beach diet makes these little drink packets that are really close also. I think they are called Tide Me Over On-the-Go or something like that and they are not as expensive as the HNS.
1nfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 152.5/see ticker/128

Default how do you know...

how do we know if somehing like the south beach packets are similar enough? is it based on the 15 grams of protein...etc? just wondering, i see different things on websites and in stores, but am never sure enough to buy them!
SeminoleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 285/SEE TICKER/220?

Height: 6'4''

About the South Beach drinks - all the ones I have seen only have 3 grams of protein. The HNS have about 15g.

3g of protein is not really enough to get the 'engines' burning. They South Beach drinks do have 5g of fiber though, which, along with the protein, could be a good in between supplement, probably more along the lines of the MRC Fiber Fill.
SchoonCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #34  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoonCR View Post
About the South Beach drinks - all the ones I have seen only have 3 grams of protein. The HNS have about 15g.

3g of protein is not really enough to get the 'engines' burning. They South Beach drinks do have 5g of fiber though, which, along with the protein, could be a good in between supplement, probably more along the lines of the MRC Fiber Fill.
I thought that was right, but couldn't find the info online last night. Crystal Light mixed with egg whites is a good substitute for the HNS, tho - takes about 1/2 cup of egg whites (I use the ones in the carton).
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #35  

I was also told to drink 5 per day, but truth be told, I usually don't! I usually get 3 or MAYBE sometimes 4. I have a hard time eating ALL the 6 oz. of protein.
leadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 217/217/175

Height: 5'11"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I thought that was right, but couldn't find the info online last night. Crystal Light mixed with egg whites is a good substitute for the HNS, tho - takes about 1/2 cup of egg whites (I use the ones in the carton).
Meemo's drink is wonderful! I've started drinking those this week and haven't noticed any difference! Plus it's soooo much cheaper.
lv2ski2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #37  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2ski2004 View Post
Meemo's drink is wonderful! I've started drinking those this week and haven't noticed any difference! Plus it's soooo much cheaper.
You can also add 1/2 cup of egg whites to an egg to make a nice big pile of scrambled eggs or an omelet (with 1 oz of cheese) for breakfast or lunch. The egg whites again sub for an HNS.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 183/173/141

Height: 5'6

I got some of the whey protein today! They didn't have plain only vanilla bean flavor. I put it in a cup of decaf coffee and it was YUM!!

Does anyone have a problem mixing it? It had some lumps and some didn't want to mix.
Colleen2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen2008 View Post
I got some of the whey protein today! They didn't have plain only vanilla bean flavor. I put it in a cup of decaf coffee and it was YUM!!

Does anyone have a problem mixing it? It had some lumps and some didn't want to mix.
I had some whey powder added to my coffee at Starbucks and the barista said you have to mix/dissolve it in something cold first or it will clump really bad. Hope that helps...

I'm also looking to buy some whey powder to make my own HNS...Meemo, I don't know if I did something wrong, but I had a hard time finishing my egg white/crystal light drink! I bought the "original" egg beaters. Maybe the spices and other junk they add to the whites made it taste wierd in the drink?
WooPigSooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #40  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPigSooie View Post
I had some whey powder added to my coffee at Starbucks and the barista said you have to mix/dissolve it in something cold first or it will clump really bad. Hope that helps...

I'm also looking to buy some whey powder to make my own HNS...Meemo, I don't know if I did something wrong, but I had a hard time finishing my egg white/crystal light drink! I bought the "original" egg beaters. Maybe the spices and other junk they add to the whites made it taste wierd in the drink?
When I mixed whey protein into a hot drink, I put the powder in the cup, then add just a little coffee or tea at first, mix it up really well with a little whisk, then pour in the rest.

Egg whites - I don't use egg beaters - I use the plain egg whites - you can get pasteurized egg whites in a carton, usually right by the egg beaters.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #41  
Meiho

S/C/G: 165/134/130

Height: 5'5"

I miss my lattes and the creaminess. I took one package of the creamy hot chocolate and one of the cappucinos. I mixed them together (dry). I use about 2 tsp. of the mixture in my decaf coffee and it is quite similar to a nonfat mocha! I don't even count the mixture in my food diary because it's such a small amount.

Meiho
Meiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiho View Post
I miss my lattes and the creaminess. I took one package of the creamy hot chocolate and one of the cappucinos. I mixed them together (dry). I use about 2 tsp. of the mixture in my decaf coffee and it is quite similar to a nonfat mocha! I don't even count the mixture in my food diary because it's such a small amount.

Meiho
What a great idea! I'll bet the vanilla pudding would be good in that mix too.
WooPigSooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #43  
Em

Quote:

Meiho
I mix a whole packet of the creamy hot chocolate with my decaf coffee instead of hot water - it's my favorite way to have a creamy (and actually it's about the only creamy I buy). I make it with my Senseo coffee pod coffeemaker, which gives it a nice foamy top - SO good! (And I usually add a mocha, vanilla or caramel-flavored Splenda packet as well for a little extra touch.)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #44  
Meiho

S/C/G: 165/134/130

Height: 5'5"

Question Flavored Splenda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
I mix a whole packet of the creamy hot chocolate with my decaf coffee instead of hot water - it's my favorite way to have a creamy (and actually it's about the only creamy I buy). I make it with my Senseo coffee pod coffeemaker, which gives it a nice foamy top - SO good! (And I usually add a mocha, vanilla or caramel-flavored Splenda packet as well for a little extra touch.)
Where do you find flavored Splenda packets? Sounds yummy!
Meiho
Meiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #45  
Em

Quote:
Where do you find flavored Splenda packets? Sounds yummy!
Meiho
They're usually either by the coffee or with the other sweeteners - there's French Vanilla, Hazlenut, Mocha and Caramel.