Metabolic Research Center - Take XI

You're on Page 4 of 42
Go to
  • ShineOn - Thanks for welcoming me to the family. I truly love it here. Those tips on Vegas are PERFECT and just what I needed. I am always so afraid of asking for things special but I guess I need to get over that!

Rocki - You can have coffee, just make sure it's decaf. I know it's tough but once you get past the first week or so, you should be ok. And I believe the chocolate crispy things replace a creamy and one of your snacks. They are actually an HNS, I believe.
  • I've got a question--what is the metaquick menu? I've never seen it (yet)at my MRC.
  • Nameste - I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I can relate to those bad eating patterns from before. I regularly would skip breakfast, sometimes lunch and then would eat horrible for dinner. My biggest downfall was eating out. I did it literally 7-10 times a week. And I never made good choices even when I was on my own plan before joining MRC.

I'm the opposite of an emotional eater. When I'm depressed or down, I don't eat. I actually went three days with nothing but Coke Zero several months ago. Of course, the minute I ate again it was something terrible (probably McDonald's).

I fear going off the plan so badly that I actually obsess about my food. I sit here and watch my boss, who doesn't have that much to lose, eat 2 burritos last week and be inconsistent with his HNS's and supplements and STILL lose 4 lbs while I only had a single tortilla chip dipped in cheese and I lost 1/2 a lb.

It's all about training yourself and keeping yourself on a routine. It's hard and it's easy to slip but just try and look at how far you have come. 70 lbs! That's a whole person (albeit a young one). Try just focusing on one thing at a time. Make it a priority to eat breakfast every day. One of the things I do is try and prepare my breakfast early. I've really fallen for the cottage cheese with lemon chiffon pudding mix so I make it up at night and put it in a ziploc container so I can grab it on my way out the door. Or I'll boil up some eggs and have them peeled and ready to grab. And I try to make sure I have some meal replacement bars handy just in case I'm really running late (LOVE the caramel peanut ones, btw).

You can do this!
  • Quote: I've got a question--what is the metaquick menu? I've never seen it (yet)at my MRC.
    They have an actual menu for it, and you'd have to request it for the all the info but basically it's a meal replacement (bar or shake) at breakfast/lunch then dinner (but the dinner has a reduction in choices). You can do it for a minimum of 3 days and maximum of 7 days.
  • Quote: Nameste - I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I can relate to those bad eating patterns from before. I regularly would skip breakfast, sometimes lunch and then would eat horrible for dinner. My biggest downfall was eating out. I did it literally 7-10 times a week. And I never made good choices even when I was on my own plan before joining MRC.

I'm the opposite of an emotional eater. When I'm depressed or down, I don't eat. I actually went three days with nothing but Coke Zero several months ago. Of course, the minute I ate again it was something terrible (probably McDonald's).

I fear going off the plan so badly that I actually obsess about my food. I sit here and watch my boss, who doesn't have that much to lose, eat 2 burritos last week and be inconsistent with his HNS's and supplements and STILL lose 4 lbs while I only had a single tortilla chip dipped in cheese and I lost 1/2 a lb.

It's all about training yourself and keeping yourself on a routine. It's hard and it's easy to slip but just try and look at how far you have come. 70 lbs! That's a whole person (albeit a young one). Try just focusing on one thing at a time. Make it a priority to eat breakfast every day. One of the things I do is try and prepare my breakfast early. I've really fallen for the cottage cheese with lemon chiffon pudding mix so I make it up at night and put it in a ziploc container so I can grab it on my way out the door. Or I'll boil up some eggs and have them peeled and ready to grab. And I try to make sure I have some meal replacement bars handy just in case I'm really running late (LOVE the caramel peanut ones, btw).

You can do this!
    You and I are more alike than different. As I was reading your response, it sounded just like me. I too, obsess about my food also and do not eat when I get stressed.... I sleep! Thank you for your advice. Today, I have all of my food (prepared, like you) and am ready for my day. I just am truly fearful right now, and I can do this (as you said). I think I'm at a new point in my weight loss, and I'm coming to terms with it.... I'm accepting that I don't have all the answers (my ego), but it sure is nice to have somewhere like this forum. It's somewhere that you can be completely honest, and have people that understand exactly where you are coming from!
  • Small World
    Blueeyedangel &3monkeysmomma,
    My husband and I lived in Floydada for 4 years and then we moved to Plainview for 3 years. We now live outside of Abilene, but we both feel like that area is home. It is good to hear from "neighbors".
    I go for my first wi today. I know that everyone likes to wi in the am, but I have to go after work and it is about a 45 min drive. So it is about 5 when i get there. I hope I have lost. I have made myself stay away from the scales. So what ever it is will be a complete suprise. I was watching what I ate and walking before I came to MRC, so I don't know if I will see BIG #s. But I know that I feel better. thanks for all your help over the past week.
    I just started the blue menu. Does anybody know if you can have sandwich meat for your protein? I know they said no processed food. Does that count as processed?
    Wish me luck. I will let ya know how it goes.
  • Hey everyone just got reading done reading all the posta and wow there is so much catching up to do ! Well i started back on plan yesterday after being off since jan 27 of this year , my 2nd surgery last friday went well and i am soooo much better i cant believe i had so much problems with the gallbladder surgery but i am so glad its all over and i feel great!! I am so glad to be back and see so many newbies that is awsome! I do have to admit i was supposed to start back on monday but i ate off plan , it has not been easy getting back on plan but i know i can, i really want to be healthier so i know i will do this i will weigh in on sat after being on medical hold all this time so i am not sure what they will do? My contract is up on the 5 of april but since i have been sick all this time i am not sure if they will extend my contract? Well i will check in later and again its great to be back!!
  • Quote: They have an actual menu for it, and you'd have to request it for the all the info but basically it's a meal replacement (bar or shake) at breakfast/lunch then dinner (but the dinner has a reduction in choices). You can do it for a minimum of 3 days and maximum of 7 days.
    Thanks for explaining that - do you do it for a special reason, like to break a plateau?
  • Quote: Thanks for explaining that - do you do it for a special reason, like to break a plateau?
    I just wanted to try it, and see how it was. I think, yes... it would definitely be used to break a plateau though. They said you could do it for 1 week every month.
  • namaste - I think we all have issues - which is how we got to be overweight in the first place. IMHO, I think food is a replacement for something else that is missing our lives. Just as an alcoholic, or a drug addict, or a gambling addict, or a shopaholic (my newest addiction) has issues, I have always hated it that food is my addiction. As food has now become fuel (which several of us are finding out), then that drive to fill empty places has to be transferred UNLESS we figure out what got us here in the first place. I am still having health issues, so when I got some bad news about my health last week, I went shopping (rather than stuffing myself with everything in my pantry) which I would have previously done. I spent money that I didn't have, and the guilt is overpowering (as eating everything I could used to be.) I talked with my counselor at MRC yesterday about just this issue, and she asked me if I had a hobby that I could immerse myself into. I do have a new hobby, and am doing just that (much healthier than spending money or eating everything I can.) We are worth the time and effort it takes to get to the root cause of our overeating - one of the reasons that I have loved every footstep taken in pursuit of a healthier me with MRC. I think naming the "elephant in the room" is definitely the first step, and I think just your writing down how you are feeling is SOOO healthy! My hat is off to you - you are so much healthier on your journey to welldom...and it is just that - a journey.
  • Namste..This might sound stupid or not even make sense. However, my neighbor is very overweight and has been struggling for some time. She lost 60+ lbs doing a MediZone weight loss plan (shots, pills, diet). What she told me that I have to keep telling myself is this. This "diet" is not a temporary thing. It's FOREVER! We know we have to continue on some sort of regimented meal plan for the rest of our lives in order to maintain a good, healthy weight and not revert back to our old ways. So, no matter how well you think you're doing and how successful we are on the program, there will always be another day to start over and do it all again. Some days you'll have it licked and others will be like starting over from the beginning. It's hard to not beat yourself up over the self presumed failures we may have. We just have to stick to the positive self-talk and know that this can be done. Look at what you've done so far! You're amazing! I'm so proud of you and happy for the weight loss you've achieved (even though I'm fairly new here and don't really know much about you).

Hopefully this made some sense. I'm pretty new to the diet (one month today) and have only lost 10 lbs. I know it's better than gaining or even staying the same, but I thought I knew what I was doing and now I've been stagnant for over a week. I'm starting to be more hungry and have more cravings and not drink the water, etc, etc, etc....I just have to make myself get back on track and know this is permanent.
  • Quote: namaste - I think we all have issues - which is how we got to be overweight in the first place. IMHO, I think food is a replacement for something else that is missing our lives. I think naming the "elephant in the room" is definitely the first step, and I think just your writing down how you are feeling is SOOO healthy! My hat is off to you - you are so much healthier on your journey to welldom...and it is just that - a journey.
    I agree, we all do have issues. I even understand where and when mine came into play. I've been really thinking about it a lot lately, journalling about it, talking with the counselors, and going to the classes... even talking to my parents about it (the hard part). I think honestly, because I "named the elephant in the room" it might be what I'm dealing with the most right now, and that is possibly why I'm having the issues I am. I'm not positive but it seems like I'm preoccupied with how this "food" issue came about, why it manifested the way it did, how I'm overcoming it, etc.... I think it's a good thing, and a bad thing sometimes. It's almost too much to handle at times. But I also realize that dealing with this stuff is how and why I will be successful this time, and why I wasn't previously.

I love you guys.
  • Quote: Hopefully this made some sense. I'm pretty new to the diet (one month today) and have only lost 10 lbs. I know it's better than gaining or even staying the same, but I thought I knew what I was doing and not I've been stagnant for over a week. I'm starting to be more hungry and have more cravings and not drink the water, etc, etc, etc....I just have to make mysefl get back on track and know this is permanent.
    Interesting post! I too have been on the the diet for just a little over a month - on day 32 I had lost 9.5 pounds but then gained 2 back early this week. I too believe that we have to think long term and forever in order to get at a healthy weight and maintain that. What I get most frustrated about is the amount of money that I spend and don't seem to be losing any faster than if just eating the same amounts without all of the pills and supplement drinks. I am definately in a dillema as to if I continue or try to do it just counting calories.:
  • Quote: Namste..This might sound stupid or not even make sense. However, my neighbor is very overweight and has been struggling for some time. She lost 60+ lbs doing a MediZone weight loss plan (shots, pills, diet). What she told me that I have to keep telling myself is this. This "diet" is not a temporary thing. It's FOREVER! We know we have to continue on some sort of regimented meal plan for the rest of our lives in order to maintain a good, healthy weight and not revert back to our old ways. So, no matter how well you think you're doing and how successful we are on the program, there will always be another day to start over and do it all again. Some days you'll have it licked and others will be like staring over from the beginning. It's hard to not beat yourself up over the self presumed failures we may have. We just have to stick to the positive self-talk and know that this can be done. Look at what you've done so far! You're amazing! I'm so proud of you and happy for the weight loss you've achieved (even though I'm fairly new here and don't really know much about you).

Hopefully this made some sense. I'm pretty new to the diet (one month today) and have only lost 10 lbs. I know it's better than gaining or even staying the same, but I thought I knew what I was doing and not I've been stagnant for over a week. I'm starting to be more hungry and have more cravings and not drink the water, etc, etc, etc....I just have to make mysefl get back on track and know this is permanent.
    No, it doesn't sound stupid and it all makes sense. Thank you! It is a complete change in the way you live, and eat. It's like that book title.... "life is hard, food is easy" and it's absolutely true. It can't ever just be a "diet" or it won't work. Thank you for being proud of me. I'm proud of you!!! You are doing a terrific job! You've not "only" lost 10 lbs, YOU'VE LOST 10 LBS!!!! 20 FISTFULS OF FAT! Gone forever! We are all here for eachother.... through the good and the bad, right!
  • rockijames and gottagetfit - Every single one of us on here has hit a plateau - my first one was about a month after I started. (Well, I don't know that donuts ever hit a plateau, but I think all us girls have! ) (And I think I speak for us all - because I was avidly reading about everyone else's plateaus on here at that time.) Your body is taking all of those fat cells and filling them up with water right now - then will just deflate and off will fall the pounds. The guarantee with MRC is that if you follow the plan, they guarantee that you will lose the weight - and that's exactly what they mean!!! They will stick with you and help you figure out exactly what to do to maximize your weight loss! I remember the frustration when I plateaued (and I think I had three big ones along the way), but you guys just stick with it! It really does work.