Old 11-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #61  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste View Post
Where are good places to eat out, and good selections? I'm supposed to go out to eat for lunch and I'm sure I can make a good decision about what to eat but any advice you all have would be supportive to me.
For fast food: One of my favorite fast food places to eat out for lunch on the green menu was Arby's - their Martha's Vineyard salad has grilled chicken, apples & dried cranberries in it. A tad high on the fruit because of the cranberries, but I'd try to eat around them (without getting obsessive about getting them all out).
You can get a salad at MacDonalds & the pack of apple slices on the side, but I just don't like their salads. I keep trying, but it hasn't worked out yet.
Wendy's tho has a chicken caesar salad that I like. Throw an apple in your purse for your fruit (always a good plan if you're eating lunch out - you can't always get fresh fruit).
At most any place a salad with grilled chicken in it will work. I like going to
Ruby Tuesday, they have a buffalo (they might call it bison) burger, I order it without the bun & substitute broccoli for the fries. I always look for bison burgers now, wish more places had them...
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 246/199/160

Height: 5'4"

Smgyorkie - wow...you look great!

Cargirl...glad to provide some inspiration back in tha' day...now it's me coming back for some! I know this plan works...and nothing tastes as good as being thinner feels! I'm glad you all are here for me! I told my DH last night that I am not going to make him anymore rice or pasta...if he wants it, he has to cook it and eat it. It is too much temptation for me...once I'm back in the game 110% I can deal with it. My problem is that I got a little off track and my cravings came back. It's time to kick them out to the curb again!
WindyMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 246/199/160

Height: 5'4"

Oh...and on the fast food post - Namaste - the mandarin chicken salad may be a good choice (although it freaks me out to eat chicken and oranges together). I eat all the oranges first and then eat the salad LOL! The only problem is Wendy's doesn't give you 4oz of chicken...it's more like 2oz. You might want to add a little cheese or get more chicken.
WindyMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #64  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyMK View Post
Oh...and on the fast food post - Namaste - the mandarin chicken salad may be a good choice (although it freaks me out to eat chicken and oranges together). I eat all the oranges first and then eat the salad LOL! The only problem is Wendy's doesn't give you 4oz of chicken...it's more like 2oz. You might want to add a little cheese or get more chicken.
LOL - the one time I actually weighed out my chicken (from a Wendy's chicken caesar salad) it was right at 4 oz. But it probably depends on which kid is making your salad. I do like their mandarin orange salad - of course my center said no to it because the oranges are canned. But hey, I figure that's probably better than no fruit at all in a pinch. (I actually make a salad for potlucks that has grilled chicken, mandarin oranges and fresh strawberries in it).
But like I said (regarding the fruit) - an apple in the purse (or in the car) will often come in handy.
Also, when I was heading out the door & knew I'd be eating lunch out, I'd make my HNS drink & put it in an empty water bottle & take it with me. I love the little 8 oz bottles you get on airplanes for that. I don't like my HNS lumpy!
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #65  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

smgyorkie.. great before and afters! What a great job you have done!
Goal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #66  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 177/167/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste View Post
Where are good places to eat out, and good selections? I'm supposed to go out to eat for lunch and I'm sure I can make a good decision about what to eat but any advice you all have would be supportive to me.
I actually eat out allot. At least 3-4 times a week. May not be the best example here - but I have managed to work it.

I personally never go to the fast food places because I just can't sit there with someone eating a Big Mac & Fries (he won't eat their salads)while I eat my salad - it's just not going to happen! So sorry DH - we are gonna spend a little more money if we go out.

Most every place I go I skip the carbs & eat the protein. And I try to watch the sodium intake, especially a few days before weigh in.

Mexican - I get the taco salad no bowl with grilled chicken & specify what toppings I do not want on it, use lots of salsa and hot sauce. Or I get Fajita with no sides & no tortillas, they look at me kinda strange but I can take it, just eat the meat & the veggies!

Italian - Meatballs with mozzarella cheese or a grilled chicken salad

Japanese - My personal favorite - Seaweed salad, squid salad, sashimi, edamame - I could eat that EVEYDAY. And its LOADED with protein.
smgyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #67  

Meemo
Hey sorry I haven't posted in awhile I have been really busy. I know that exercise is the key. I have been doing exercise for close to 2 years though. So exercise is not new to me. I do think that the hard aerobics I was doing along with the weight lifting was causing me to go into starvation mode. I will never again not exercise but I have decreased the number of times to 4 times this week with cardio and weight lifting. I have lost 4 lbs. So I do think there is something to the fact that I was working out at a level that was too intense probably for my age for sure.
I appreciate all the input from everybody. Meemo you have helped tremendously. I am continuing to move toward my goal. I also agree with someone that mentioned a previously set point. That is the weight that I was stalled around. I say around because I stayed within about 3 lbs of that for about 4 weeks. I have lost the weight at WAY below what they said I would. However, I am just thankful that the weight is coming off. My exercise was already good so there was not struggle there. I just needed to learn to eat healthy and balance. I did not eat enough prior to this thinking that would help me lose...probably again is what caused the problem with my plateau.
Thanks again for all the input. Any more suggestions I am always open.

Congrats to all that are on the path to improving themselves. Losing weight not only improves your health it gives you hope back in a situation that FELT hopeless. Hang in there everyone...it is working!
Casperfriendlyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #68  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Default Tartar Sauce?

Back during the fish challenge, someone asked about tartar sauce. Today when I was making a fresh batch of ranch dressing (16oz cottage cheese, ranch packet and water to desired consistency) they had a recipe on the back for tartar sauce. Basically it was mayo, sour cream & sweet relish. So, I have never made home made pickles before, but I was thinking if you did the cottage cheese and ranch packet, chopped up cucumber really small and added some vinegar, dill seasoning and a packet or two of splenda, it might taste like tartar sauce. Any thoughts on this from some "real cooks"?

smgyorkie - WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW - You look amazing!!!

My favorite Wendy's salad is the blt chicken salad. The bacon is usually in a little clump on the side that I avoid. The cheese makes up for the chicken portion.
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #69  
Denise

S/C/G: 354/ticker/183

Height: 5'11"

ShineOn
Congrats on the 4lb weight loss!

Smgyorkie
You look great! Thank you for sharing the before and after pics with us!
Also, I love Taco Salad and that sounds really good! I also love edamame so thanks! Great suggestions!

Meemo
We have a lot of places here that offer Buffalo and they know how to cook it so it comes out just perfectly! Also, I've had Wendy's salads in the past (pre-MRC) and have always liked them so I'll be trying them for sure. I really enjoyed the one with the cranberries and apples!!! And! I did bring an apple in my purse today, just because I knew that I might have trouble with the fruit at lunch! Came in handy!! Oh. and yes, McDonalds.... not for me either.

WendyMK
I have had that same issue with eating oranges and chicken together! I guess we'll have to work through it!!

Everyone
The ideas for eating out were perfect! I made it through. With an apple in my purse, I went to applebees. I ordered the Seasoned grilled chicken breast spinich salad, tossed with red onions, roasted red peppers, sliced fresh mushrooms (no cheese). It was served with a chili-lime vinaigrette dressing but I wasn't sure about it so I didn't have dressing. It was very tasty.

Hvnlymzic
I like your idea about the wedding ring. My wedding ring doesn't fit because I'm too big for it right now, but I have a cheapy one that I wear until it does! You've had great progress and I expect we will see you posting a before and after shot just like smgyorkie! with several sizes of cubic z rings to get rid of!
namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #70  
oreoparent

S/C/G: 269/ticker/150

When on the run ...
I use a quart size zip-lock bag and put my supplement packet, a 9 oz paper cup, a plastic spoon and my pills all in the bag. I always have water bottles in my car so I take those in the restaurant with me or mix it up in my car. Of course, me being weird with all my food restrictions (no colon) I eat Beechnut stage one green beans and stage 2 applesauce /blueberries to substitute veggie and fruit for lunch. This was OK'd by my MRC on San Jose. I sometimes just stop and order a grilled chicken sandwich w/o the bread at a drive through and wolf it down with my "baby" food. The green beans do not taste too bad, but the apples/blueberry mixture is great! You should see some of the stares I get at restaurants! BUT I have to do what I have to do to lose the weight and it works for me.
I like Applebees and Ruby Tuesday. I can always get what I need through substitutions. They have always been good to help me keep within my menu.
I also like Sonny's BBQ. I order the lunch size turkey or pork, eat most of my green beans (they give you a bunch!) and then bring my own bread.
oreoparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 232/232/160

Default newbie here

Hello everyone. I've just joined today - or rejoined rather. I started on the vegetarian plan a few months ago and it just didn't work for me, so I decided to start up on the regular plan. I've been reading some of the old threads and I love seeing the successes out here, and the support! So, I thought I'd join in because I am not disciplined, am easily discouraged, and need all the help I can get!
MidwestChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 232.6/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Hello!

I am new to the boards here, and I have my consultation appointment on Tuesday to learn more about MRC. I have been reading your MRC boards all afternoon and learning a lot from all of you - and you all sound very supportive and encouraging!

I do have a question that I don't really see you all talk much about. Do you feed your family the same foods that you are eating or are you cooking two separate meals?

My DH does not want or need to eat lower fat foods, and my DH and Son both love pasta.

I obviously don't have all the details of the meal plans yet, but from what I can gather, you don't eat any rice or pasta on this plan, correct?

Anyway - I'm pretty sure I want to do this, and appreciate seeing your posts.
Raemi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #73  
texdoc2001

S/C/G: 207/207/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi, guys. This is my first post although I've been reading you guys for a few weeks now. I'm on day 16 with a 6 1/2 pound loss so far. I'm surprised at how easy this really is and how helpful it is to read the things y'all post. I have a question I should have asked at WI today but forgot. Please don't be grossed out but, has anyone else had green poop? Seriously. I'm thinking it must be the minerals or something but would be relieved if someone else has had this experience.
texdoc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi All,

I'm so glad you're here. I was hoping to find an MRC support group. I signed up last week and just started the program today. I'm so excited because after almost 20 years and countless diets/programs, I think I've found "the One" for me. I'm pre-diabetic (have fasting blood sugar levels between 100-124) and after less than a week on pre-conditioning, I've lost 3.5 lbs, and my fasting blood sugar was down to 83 this morning. It hasn't been below 100 in years.

I'm married and have a 10 yr old son and 6.5 yr old boy/girl twins. I'm very motivated to lose and get healthy so that I can teach good habits to my kids and be an example for them so that hopefully they won't have the struggles that I've had.

I've been reading the last few days of posts and love how active and supportive this group is. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys. It's really nice to see not only lots of newbies, but I noticed many of you have lost 1/2 your weight or more and are still going strong - that is SO encouraging to me!

Hugs,
Mindy

Last edited by Moliver; 11-03-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Moliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #75  

WI today and lost another 3 lbs. Also got measured and I've lost 8.5". To date, since signing up on the 16th, I've lost 8 lbs. I'm certainly pleased with the losses, but have a one concern. I hope you all don't mind me sharing it and I certainly don't want to be negative. In reference to my question earlier about the amount of calories, Meemo responded that the green menu is probably less than 1000. I did ask the counselor today, and she wasn't sure, but she said maintenance is 1200 so this would be less. I guess I've done so much reading about weight loss and I was under the assumption that if you go below 1200 calories it will throw you into starvation mode and mess up your metabolism. I didn't know when I signed up that the diet was so low in calories. Like I said, its great to see the inches drop off. I did get the tanita reading today and what she found interesting is that my fat percentage was up slightly from my first reading. She said we'd watch it, might be cause I'm about to start or I'm not getting enough protein. I'm eating according to plan, so I'm not skipping any protein. Just want to make sure the lean mass doesn't start to drop.

Sorry for the long post. Hope you all don't think I'm being a party pooper!!!
tmich56 is offline   Reply With Quote