Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #466  

S/C/G: 205/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Shine On, There is a really nice tailor in Tara Plaza at 84th and Hogan, across from Target. I bet you could have some of your favorites altered.

I just wi- lost another 1.5!! I am very excited because I just weighed in on Wed. I also ran into KrazyK and had a great conversation! Have to run - must get daughter to volleyball! More later! Have a good night!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #467  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Hflannigan - I know I will sound lilke a broken record, but it's worth repeating. Drink at least half your body weight in water, measure everything you eat, check your food sheet and record everything you eat. And make sure to avoid your BLTS - Bites, licks, tastes and sips. This could be enough to stall you. And get some form of exercise in. I do 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week at curves. Then hang in there. All of us have plateau's, some longer than others. But if you don't go off plan, your body will give in eventually - and usually with a really big loss! :

4my2ltl1s - Thank you for the suggestion! Once upon a time, I sewed a lot, even made sevral brides maids dresses. I guess I should brush the dust off my alteration book and sewing machine and get busy! I really don't want to spend a lot on clothes until I'm close to goal weight and I just don't have the patience for the goodwill - even though they have some great buys there!

Pacific1DH - I've only been with MRC since Labor Day, so I'm not sure if I'm the person you would want to hear from. I have struggled with my weight all of my adult life. Tried a lot of diets, a couple of them extreme! The worst was recommended by my doctor (when I worked at a clinic) where I ate 300 - 600 calories of protein a day and exercised 60 minutes a day. I lost an average of 2lbs a day. Lost 60 lbs in just over 2 months. Then I went to a regimented 1200 calorie a day diet - everything was measured and weighed and still kept up the exercise schedule and gained it back at the same rate. We now know that a protein only diet destroys your muscle tissue! Weight Watchers was probably my most "successful diet" but I was hungry all the time and was frustrated by all the point counting and converting. Then, with much hesitation and desperation, I did Atkins. I've tried a lot of others, but those were the major ones. What's different about the MRC diet for me, is I feel like I can comfortably eat like this for the rest of my life. I feel like I've been searching for the right combination of foods that I can eat for my body (my whole family was heavy growing up too). I'm finding it's pretty easy to satisfy any craving with a substitution from the MRC cookbook, and I'm getting into a good routine. The key to any way of eating is planning ahead. I don't feel like this is a diet for me, but a lifestyle change. MRC not only works with you on meal plans but they offer classes for the psychological aspect too. This forum has been the best for me! It gives me the daily support. I just love the connections and knowing there are others going through the same thing. Checking it daily keeps me motivated!!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #468  

S/C/G: 191/172.5/145

Height: 5'6"

Hello~Just readin' all the motivating posts and I wanted to say to anyone looking into MRC-if you are ready and are willing to follow through it works and with all the support you get-it is more than a diet. I am new to the program, but I have two different friends that have gone throught this program in last 5 years and they struggled their whole lives with their weight. They are thinner than they have ever been in their life and are still thin 5 yrs later!! That is the gift of a long healthy life!!! I ran across a recent picture of one of those friends and remembered that she went to MRC! I checked and we had a center a block away from me!! I went in that day and listened and signed-I decided why weight?? I have wanted to lose the weight long enough, another day will just add another pound and I definately did not want that. Just do it!! I went in on October 12th and was in preconditioning until this past Saturday-I WI today and lost another 2 lbs!!! That is 6 lbs total and I have only been on the menus 7 days!! Is it worth it?? YES!!YES!!YES!! On January 1st when everyone else is just making the resolution to lose weight and joining that gym-I will be at my goal and if YOU start today YOU WILL TOO!!!! Instead of gaining over the holidays we are losing!!! I am excited and motivated and so glad we have this forum to talk about it all!!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #469  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 275/ticker/175

Believeinme, what a wonderful post...you brought this all into prospective for me. You are right by the new year, keep on plan, I will be close to my first goal weight! That is awesome! I to am new to MRC, but am loving it. My hubby and family are very supportive now that they have seen how motivated I am , and I am totally in this for the long haul! I think we started around the same week at MRC, I started pre-conditioning on Oct 14th, I have been on my first meal plan now for just 5 days, and have lost 6 pounds also! Yeah for us!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #470  

Hi everyone! I have been reading these posts for about a month now, and about three weeks ago I decided to join MRC. I want to lose 48 pounds (baby fat from my 11 mth old!), and so far I have lost 8 pounds!

Just a quick question, has anyone been nauseated on this plan? I did great for the first two weeks (precondition and 1-10 day), but for the past 6 days I have been nauseated and a bit of blurred vision. Just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this issue. Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #471  

S/C/G: 191/172.5/145

[B]goal4life[B]
Thank you! It is so true!! We did start around the same time!! For 2 years I have been saying to myself one of my favorite quotes "Nothing changes until something changes" and I kept saying I want to and I'll start tomorrow!! I then realized nobody feeds me-BUT ME!! So I am that something that had to change!! I also asked myself "Where do I want to be this same time next year??" and the answer was not here!! I also knew that if I didn't just start that by this time next year I would probably be bigger. So YEAH for all of us!! Doesn't it feel good to have lost 6 lbs??

lesscott
I have only been on the plan 7 days and I have been nauseated for about 3 days and I have to force my food sometimes. i talked to my center and they said that definately could happen because of the drastic change in what we are doing to our bodies. I have not had blurred vision-I would definately watch that and definately call and ask-good luck-
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #472  

Believinme: Thanks for your input. I am going in tomorrow. I want to continue on this plan! I really do love it. I have struggled with trying to do this on my own for the past eight months....Nutrisystem, atkins, you name it! I always failed. I have lost 8 lbs since I started 20 days ago. YEA!

My main reason for starting this program was reading these posts. They are so inspirational! Congrats to all!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:20 PM   #473  

S/C/G: 344.5/tracker/144.5

Height: 5'4"

Hey all!

to all the newbies. You will love MRC and this wonderful group only makes it better!

graduatethinYou beat me online! Man o man you are fast!!!! Hope your dinner went well! How funny it is that you knew who I was all this time and I have been wondering who "graduate" was. It is so nice to have a face with your "name"

I had my weigh in tonight. Lost another 1.5 pounds! Whoo Hoo!!! I was thrilled. I am not feeling well and had just had two long days of parent-teacher conferences with a full day of school today! Because of late nights and late eating, I let myself slip and OD'd on mini rice cakes. I can have them on my menu, but.....I cannot have them in my house. I found that I eat them like potato chips! This is not a good thing!!!! The parent bring in supper both nights of conferences with lots of breads and sweets! I packed plenty of HNS and my own meals and made it through only to come home and commit diet suicide on rice cakes for goodness sakes! Guess I need a good dose of willpower!

I have a challenge coming up next week. I will be driving to TX on Tuesday to attend a convention and then will be driving home on Sunday. We will be staying at my in-laws. I will be on my own at the convention so will need extra willpower to stay on program! Everybody's recent travels have given me a lot of encouragement and I believe I feel challenged to do as well as they did! I will be taking my computer so I should be able to get all the support I need from you all!

ShineOnThanks for the cake recipe! I was unable to attend the class and don't think I will make it there tomorrow since I do not feel well. They had run out of recipe sheets so I hope they will be able to make more! The family will be gone this weekend so I may have to make it for myself tomorrow! You are doing so well! I can't wait until I can get into my jeans again.

Well, have gone on with my usual verbosity! Thanks to all for so much support!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #474  

S/C/G: 233/233/160

Height: 5'10"

Hi everyone! It has been a long time since I have been able to read this thread. It appears that there are a lot of newbies. Things seem to be going really well on this plan. So far I have lost 45.5 lbs. Still want to lose about 35 more, but it doesn't seem like much now that I am over the half way mark. I think what is helping me is that I have been trying out a lot of the recipes in the cookbook in order to get some variety. A little tired of plan chicken and turkey. The cheesecake recipes are awesome. Cheesecake for breakfast, alright!

Well, I started something new with my excercise plan. I hadn't been working out that much and new that if I wanted to keep the momentum that I would need to do something. So instead of walking or jogging, I decided to sign myself up for a bootcamp. What have I gotten myself into. After the first workout I have never been so tired and sore. The next couple of days were very painful. Even though it is a lot of work, I really enjoy it. I am just hoping that it starts to get a little easier and a little less painful.

Well, everyone keep up the good work. You all are doing great. Surprisingly this journey has been very easy this time around. I am not sure if it is because I am in a different mindset that I have ever been in when trying to lose weight. Yippe!

Does anyone remember what that website was that offered some of the same supplements that the centers sell?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 PM   #475  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs up Halloween Recipes

Hi Everyone,

Here are the recipes from my food class this week. It's a good way to have "sweets" without cheats

Spooky Spiders
1 pkg Double Chocolate Pudding
1-2 oz water

Mix Double Chocolate Pudding with one or two ounces of water until thick. Roll into balls and place on wax paper, then refrigerate. Use black and orange pipe cleaners as legs to form the balls into spiders!

Optional: roll chocolate balls in cinnamon and splenda. You may also substitute Lemon Chiffon or Vanilla Creme Pudding.

Servings: 1 Replaces 1 creamy

Baked Apples
1 small apple
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 pkg artificial sweetener
allspice to taste

Core apple and sprinkle with cinnamon, sweetener and allspice. Wrap in foil, bake in small dish for 30 min at 350 degrees

Optional: spray the bottom of a small pan with butter flavored pam. Cover and heat on low heat for 15 - 20 min until apples are soft. The steam will create it's own juice and it makes your house smell great! I tried it today in a covered dish in the microwave - about 3 minutes on high. Equally good. I use the Pampered Chef cinnamon plus and sprinkle the apples lightly.

"Handy" Punch

16 oz diet orange soda
4 packets Orange Concentrate
optional: orange slices at lunch only
crushed ice

Combine ingredients in blender, mix to smoothie-like consistency. Pour into punch bowl. Top with "creepy hand". To make, freeze latex glove filled with water and orange concentrate or orange food coloring and freeze.

Servings: 4 Replaces supplement, optional fruit serving

Ghoulishly Good Hot Cocoa

3 packets Creamy Hot Cocoa
1 packet Vanilla Creme Pudding
1/2 tsp. unflavored gelatin
1/2 pkg articifical sweetener
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
orange food coloring as desired.

Whipped topping: Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and sweetener until firm, set aside. Dissolve gelatin and supplement in water in small pan, heat but do not boil. Slowly pour hot mixture into egg whites while beating to stiff peaks. Add food coloring. Chill to set firm. Prepare Creamy Hot Cocoa per package directions. Spoon whipped topping over the cocoa.

Servings: 3 Replaces 2 oz. protein, 1 creamy - Breakfast only

Cinnamon Cookies

1 packet Vanilla Creme Pudding
1 egg beaten
1 slice 40 - 45 calorie bread or 1/4 cup oatmeal
2 pkg artificial sweetener
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (or more to taste)

Tear bread into very small pieces and mix with other ingredients in food processor or blender. Drop onto cookie sheet with spoon. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Watch them close - they don't get too brown but they will burn pretty quick.

Servings: 1 Replaces: 1 bread, 2 oz protein, 1 creamy - Breakfast only

And of course, the Halloweenie "Cake" - worth repeating

2 packets Double Chocolate Pudding
2 packets Vanilla Creme Pudding
4 slices 40 - 45 calorie bread, torn into small pieces
5 packets artificial sweetener
1 1/2 tsp. orange extract
orange food coloring as desired

With fork, add Double Chocolate Pudding packets, bread, 3 packets sweetener and slowly add water. mash all together until it forms a cake like consistency. May not use all the water. Place into the bottom of an 8" or 9" dish and pack down into dish. Chill for 20 min. in refrigerator.

Mix Vanilla Creme Pudding packets with food coloring, 2 packets sweetener and extract. Add water slowly until it makes a "frosting" like consistency - may not use all water. Spread over chocolate layer.

Servings: 4 Replaces 1 starch, 1 creamy - Breakfast or dinner only

Enjoy!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:10 AM   #476  

Having a slowwwwwwwww week this week! Tuesday WI and NO loss....Thursday WI and only 1/2 pound loss. I know the 1/2 pounds add up but I'm wanting them to add up FASTER! Since the pool is too cold to swim, I'm getting very little exercise and I need to work on that. My RA is active right now (hands & knees swollen) ! But I will remain on plan! Yes, I'm whining! This too will pass!

ShineOn ~ Thanks for the recipes!!! I totally agree with the suggestions to alter your clothes! Find a good shop and they will work with you! I took my Sunday clothes for alterations, lucked up on a good seamtress and she was very honest in telling me which peices could be altered and which I should just replace. Saved me a lot of $$$.

Donuts ~ Thanks for the lesson on Chromium Picolinate! Have we told you how handy you are to have on this forum?!?! I've missed your post lately! Sorry about your gain....but you know it will be GONE in a day or 2!

Hvnlymzic ~ Congrats on your upcoming goal! I know exactly how you feel, sad day when I realized I weighed more than Dr T ...that's why I don't have a ticker on my weight! What if he SAW it and KNEW???? (Like he can't look at me and tell!?! ) There's just something about putting it in writing! ....am I in denial? But I have about 25lbs to reach that goal!

Lots of chatter on this forum.....I'm loving it!

Last edited by jantdieting; 10-27-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #477  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific1DH View Post
I'm very disappointed in all the years of yo-yo'ing so we're trying to approach the next "diet" cautiously.

Does anybody have long-term (i.e. 2+ years) experience after losing weight with the MRC?
I'm approaching the end of my first year of maintenance (I actually got to goal a little over a year ago). I don't think there's anyone on the board who's a 2-year maintenance veteran. But here's my 2 cents...
When you go into the maintenance mode, MRC gives you a basic meal plan to follow. It's balanced, the calories are basically counted for you (much like the weight loss phase), and you get a year of free maintenance included with your weight loss contract. (I didn't go in as frequently as I could've/should've - I think I was just burned out on weighing in.) I've done pretty well, like you I've had a couple of significant weight losses over the past 15 years or so, this was my 3rd, and going in I knew it had to be my last, I just don't have another one in me. I've been the typical "lose the weight, gain it back plus a little more" dieter the past couple of times.
Here's what I've finally (hopefully) figured out: Whatever plan you follow, it has to become a permanent change in your eating habits. If you go back to eating the way you did, you'll go back to weighing what you did. In one of the People magazine articles about people who'd lost a significant amount of weight, one of the "losers" featured said something along the lines of "There's no "there" in this, where you get "there" and you're done & don't have to worry about it any more." It's an ongoing lifetime process to keep it off & stay fit & healthy.
MRC isn't cheap, but in my case I needed structure & accountability, and along with the weigh-ins, the expense was and is a big part of my accountability. I didn't lay out that money to end up regaining the weight. And ultimately, whether I maintain my weight loss is up to me, not MRC. They've given me the tools, they've given me the plan. I just have to continue to implement them. And so far, I've done better maintaining my loss than I ever have previously. Not perfect, after a couple of vacations in the last couple of months you can see by my signature I'm about 5-7 lbs over where I'd like to be. But I'm back on track now, on my way back down & doing well.
Bottom line - MRC works for weight loss. The maintenance part is up to me.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do. And now I'll climb down...
Old 10-27-2007, 12:59 AM   #478  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific1DH View Post
Has anybody had some successes with long-term life changes? I'm very curious what are the top motivations or the key things that help make that life change. If anybody has some suggestions or things they do that help, I'd be interested in hearing about them.
Your question reminded me - right about the same time I was starting MRC I saw Dr. Phil's original weight loss book at a Goodwill store. It was cheap, so I figured it couldn't hurt to read the book (ignoring the diet plan part, of course) to maybe figure out WHY I'd yo-yo'ed before. The biggest thing I think I took away from it was figuring out after my last weight loss (which I was SO sure was permanent) I was a LOT more stressed than I'd ever realized. So I needed to find a way to deal with stress besides food. For me, it's exercise. And staying away from refined sugars & starches, I'm a true carb addict - give me a little & I can't stop. In fact I was concerned about the carbs required with the MRC plan, but they're low glycemic & not enough to trigger my out-of-control cravings.
It doesn't have to be his book, there are other similar books - our MRC center did a series of classes based on another book (which I'll never remember the name of, maybe someone here who goes to the Shalimar MRC will know the name of it) that's meant to be a kind of psychological companion to any weight loss plan.
Oh - and get rid of all your "fat clothes" as you lose the weight. Right now my biggest motivation to get these few lbs off & keep my weight consistent is that I got rid of the fat clothes like Dr Phil suggested - and like ShineOn said, some of them I was sad to part with - and I REFUSE to buy bigger clothes now! Like I said - $$ = motivation for me!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 AM   #479  

S/C/G: 178.5/168/140

Meemo- You're right, getting rid of "fat" clothes is a huge motivation! At each stage I've bough new clothes and immediately gotten rid of the old ones, even a couple of items that still had tags on them. One of my motivators to start this plan was that I was outgrowing my size 20's and wasn't willing to buy a larger size. Now I'm a size 10 so you can imagine how many things I've had to get rid of - 20's, 18's, 16's, 14's, 12's.... It's unbelievable. I still have some 12's that are cut small and which fit well, but the rest --- GONE! I'm just now starting to go through my winter clothes, which fit last year and will be too big this winter. I hate to think of all that money spent on clothes that I won't wear again but it's not something that's going to stop me.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:32 AM   #480  
Super Maintainer

S/C/G: 357/197/maintaining

Height: 6'0"

Hi everyone here in MRC land

I lost 4.5 pounds and signed the 80 pound board for Friday's WI!!! This program ROCKS!!! Either I'm in super fat burnin mode or I should see my doctor for an overactive thyroid

I appreciate everyone here on this board You guys motivate me so much. You have no idea. I would pay extra if this forum cost money to join. The support I receive here and the MRC program are an unbeatable weight loss combination!
Closed Thread