Protein shake/powder

• As some of you know, I have only just started to work out at the gym (and, no, I will not be moving to one of the bodybuilders sites).

I am sore.

My best friend, who also goes to the gym but in another country, suggests that if I keep feeling sore a few weeks in then a protein shake or powder might help my muscles to recover.

For those of you that do work out, do they help? I would be looking for a low calorie one since my main aim is to continue losing weight but to try to tone up a little.

My diet is also a bit sensitive on the protein side since I mostly eat salads. I try my best to get protein (e.g. eggs, tuna, cockles, beans) in there but I must be close to the minimum recommended daily amount for a man.

I'm worried the gym might tip me into the red without a little extra boost.

It's a shame beer does not have much protein in it. Else I'd be sorted.

I would also like to add that if you had asked me three months ago whether I would ever be asking about a protein shake/powder then I would have lmfao.
  • A good quality protein shake absolutely makes a difference in my recovery, especially after resistance training. I have been using GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme for a few years and definitely recommend it.
  • Thanks Stella.
  • I've had good luck with tart cherry juice on hard exercise days to cut down on the soreness too.
  • I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but have you ever tried Greek yogurt? If you're just looking for a protein source, it has a really high amount of protein for the calories (my favorite is Chobani, especially the blueberry; I think it's something like 140 calories and 16 grams of protein). I'm not a huge protein shake person, just out of sheer laziness, but when I feel like I need a protein boost, greek yogurt really does make me feel a difference. (again, I know that's not what exactly what you were talking about-sorry!)
  • Hmm. Thanks summerkate, that is useful info. A protein boost might be good anyway I can get it. And Greek Yogurt sounds like a yummy way to go!
  • I do a protein shake after a resistance workout - with a dash of creatine added. I started because I felt it would help build the muscles.

Does it work? I'm not calendar material but, since I didn't do a double-blind placebo experiment to test against not taking it, perhaps I'd be a jelly-fish if I hadn't.

It's a fun ritual.