Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #16  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

So why aren't there so many boys here Jez?
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #17  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I visit a lot of message boards on many different tooics. All of them are mostly female posters. Could be because the things I am interested in are typically female things. Or maybe forums and message boards themself attract females more than males. Not trying stereotype too much but women do tend to be more communicative and more into talking out our problems. Combine that with society being more acceptive of bigger guys than women and that probably accounts for some of it, too.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #18  
Trying to be in the 160s

It's be said twice now, so I will pipe up. Society just isn't more acceptive of men being fat than women. It's the same deal, except that men may care less what others think of them. I certainly never used to give a **** (translation available upon request).

But nobody sits next to the fat girl on the train. They don't sit next to the fat guy either. And both are the subject of jokes.

I was even poked fun at at the last work dinner I went to. Fortunately I am able to roll with the punches but a very sweet, slim girl (not my wife) also stuck up for me... That's a way to a man's heart. Ouch!

Last edited by IanG; 03-31-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #19  
Trying to be in the 160s

Sounds reasonable. But statistically, average build/height men do better at attracting women than above average tall or musclely ones so winner for the three chicks on a diet site for those single guys that do frequent here.

PS Don't tell the weight-lifters that.

Last edited by IanG; 03-31-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

There are men here scattered around among different forums, they don't all post in the Men's Corner. Look around lurk a little you will find them.

Last edited by bargoo; 03-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #21  
Trying to be in the 160s

OK, so it's the only fad statistic I can remember from the 90s!

And bargoo I am seeking out those guys. But it's not always easy as a lot of posters are gender neutral. Some even have a picture of a male as an avatar but who knows? It's dangerous to make assumptions. Wouldn't always want to advise a dude in the same way as a dudette.

Last edited by IanG; 03-31-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
OK, so it's the only fad statistic I can remember from the 90s!

And bargoo I am seeking out those guys. But it's not always easy as a lot of posters are gender neutral. Some even have a picture of a male as an avatar but who knows? It's dangerous to make assumptions. Wouldn't always want to advise a dude in the same way as a dudette.
Have you met JohnP yet ? I think he posts a lot in Weight Loss Support
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #23  
Trying to be in the 160s

Yes I have, and he is an excellent poster.

It's just a shame I clicked on his signature link to what is working for him 17 years too late.

Every fat guy needs to read that.

Last edited by IanG; 03-31-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #24  

Quote:
Yes I have, and he is an excellent poster.

It's just a shame I clicked on his signature link to what is working for him 17 years too late.

Every fat guy needs to read that.
Have you met ChrisMohr ? Try Living Maintenance Weekly chat.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #25  
Trying to be in the 160s

Nope. But I will look him up!

If you keep posting names you will magically summon these gents to the men's corner!

Last edited by IanG; 03-31-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #26  

Quote:
It's be said twice now, so I will pipe up. Society just isn't more acceptive of men being fat than women. It's the same deal, except that men may care less what others think of them. I certainly never used to give a **** (translation available upon request).

But nobody sits next to the fat girl on the train. They don't sit next to the fat guy either. And both are the subject of jokes.

I was even poked fun at at the last work dinner I went to. Fortunately I am able to roll with the punches but a very sweet, slim girl (not my wife) also stuck up for me... That's a way to a man's heart. Ouch!
No offense at all, Ian...but I don't completely agree and I'll try to explain why respectfully, of course. A little bit of a tangent, but I'm going to describe what I mean in terms of TV couples.

Think Mike & Molly and Roseann & John Goodman. All of them fairly obese and in their shows, married to each other. I see this type of couple frequently in real life. Now, think of King of Queens, Rules of Engagement, Still Standing....fairly large guys with pretty, thin hot girls. Also, pretty common in real life. Think of the popular, but slightly large football lineman who gets the cheerleader. But, you almost never see the reverse of that, the Roseann/Rosie O'Donnell/Delta Burke/Melissa McCarthy kind of girl with a hot guy. Not too common in TV, not common among dating couples, but occasionally in married couples where the woman gained a lot after having kids. Hot guys want hot girls and the guys with not so hot bodies usually want hot girls, too. Now, if we are talking super obese; it doesn't really matter guy or girl, neither are accepted well.

It isn't all about dating, getting married, etc. If you are talking about employment, for example, it is pretty much the same thing. The slightly overweight (think football lineman again) type of guy has a better chance of finding employment and getting paid better than the equivalent type of woman.

Last edited by mariposssa; 03-31-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #27  
Trying to be in the 160s

No offense taken Mariposssa and thank you for your thoughtful and respectful insights.

But the reality is that thin guys feel comfortable with fat guys because they are not a challenge to them. That's why guys like King of Queens.

Ever since I have started to lose weight, all the guys in my office have stepped it up ever such a little. Some are dressing smarter. Others going to the gym more. All guys like the fat guy because it makes them look better. But that's not good for the fat guy is it?

Last edited by IanG; 04-01-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #28  

Quote:
No offense taken Mariposssa and thank you for your thoughtful and respectful insights.

But the reality is that thin guys feel comfortable with fat guys because they are not a challenge to them. That's why guys like King of Queens.

Ever since I have started to lose weight, all the guys in my office have stepped it up ever such a little. Some are dressing smarter. Others going to the gym more. All guys like the fat guy because it makes them look better. But that's not good for the fat guy is it?
I LOVE King of Queens and was that type of girl (pre-marriage, pre-kids) who looked for that kind of big guy.

That happens with women, too. But, the thing about women is--I think-- they are meaner to each other than guys. Think of the movie Mean Girls only when they grow up it is just called catty or "witchy." Life pretty much sucks for the heavy chicks, too. LOL
Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Kevin James is hot.
Yep, I totallly agree. Exactly the kind of guy I go for and thanks for helping me prove my point. It is kind of common for women to like that in a guy. Unfortunately for us...nobody really likes it on a chick.

Where is the guy who will say one of those women I mentioned is hot? Well, I will say it... Delta Burke is hot. But, I have to admit she looks a lot better at her pageant weight than at her mid-Designing Women show weight. It just doesn't look as good on a woman.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #30  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

I think there's a lot more social pressure for men to (outwardly, at least) objectify women and find a conventionally attractive partner. My husband recalls pretending to be attracted to women that he wasn't actually sexually attracted to in his late teens because that was what was socially expected of him and what was applauded by his peer group. Even now, at 30, my husband is called a "chubby chaser" on occasion because his wife (me!) weighs 100 pounds more than he does, when in reality he's attracted to a large variety of women - some very slim, some larger, but most within a healthy weight range and with a wide variety of other features and physical attributes.

Women's social circles, in my experience, seem to be more concerned with whether or not their friends' partners are providing financially. I've received a lot of flak from my female friends about the fact that my husband doesn't make much money and that I've often been the breadwinner over the years, but they've never given me grief over his physical appearance (and my husband is VERY slim - slim enough to keep him from being considered conventionally attractive)
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote