3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Medifast (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/medifast-223/)
-   -   Help: 5-1 Or 4-2? Medifast Meal Plans (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/medifast/277258-help-5-1-4-2-medifast-meal-plans.html)

Teaa 03-09-2013 01:15 AM

Help: 5-1 Or 4-2? Medifast Meal Plans

Good evening all,

Hi, I need help, I've tried signing up for TSFL and contacting a coach but no one has responded to me... so I'm searching these forums... To start, I've had a problem with being overweight my entire life. I am diagnosed with IBS and Hypothyroid.

My journey started in 2010, I started eating healthier, exercising and being a lot more active - I've only been able to shed off 5 lbs within 3 years - The lightest I've ever weighed was 123lbs - this was during my wisdom tooth removal (2011), I had nothing but liquids. The best I've ever looked was the summer of 2012, I started P90X/INSANITY, leaned out and developed muscle but still weighed 135 lbs. With my height being under 5 foot, I am borderline obese. I tried to lose weight the healthy way but 3 years passed and 5 lbs loss just isn't doing it for me. So I will be starting Medifast this month. I'm just wondering how the 4-2 meal plan works? I exercise twice a day, which include home workouts - Insanity (45 mins) or P90X (1 hour) then go to the gym later at night for about an hour - I try to do both cardio and weight lifting in a day - so if I had a P90X workout, I'd do cardio at the gym with squats. I enjoy exercising - it helps with my IBS being that it relieves stress. My work life has minimal activity as it is a desk job. I wake up around 6AM and sleep around 10-11PM.

My overall question is will the Medifast 4-2 plan work with my exercises? Thank you so much for your help!!! Very much appreciated.

YvonneH 03-09-2013 11:53 AM

I know medifast doesn't recommend exercise for the first three weeks or if you are currently exercising they ask that you reduce your level until your body adjusts. I'm in week 2 and before starting I walked 4 miles a day. I did reduce my walk to 1 per day and am looking forward to finishing off week three to work my way back up.

I have a coach you could connect with and I know she would respond look on the TSFL site and look for Jennifer Freeland - she is my coach and she is VERY responsive.

alitorry 03-10-2013 01:58 AM

I kept up my 2 hour workouts when I started. The first week was great, I guess my body was in shock, but the second week changed. My coach pretty much begged me to take the following week off completely, but I couldn't do it. I agreed to 50%. Once I changed, my fat loss was more efficient, I lost faster and the icing on the cake was that I felt great again :-) so I would definitely recommend shortening your workout, or it could and up working against you like it did me. Good luck!

Teaa 03-10-2013 02:22 PM

Thanks for all your advice!!! I'll decrease my exercise routine. When could I get back on it? After 3 weeks being on Medifast? What would be the better exercise to be on medifast? Cardio or weight lifting? Thanks!!

crazycatlady33 03-10-2013 02:26 PM

I stopped exercising for 3 weeks now I am back to it. You will feel somewhat weak the first few weeks.

I am on the 4 and 2 plan, recommended by my doctor because she worried 5-1 would be too little calories for me to start with...I have a LOT to loose and I like to also do weight training so I like having the extra protein. I may eventually switch to 5-1 when I plateau ...

Teaa 03-10-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycatlady33 (Post 4662456)
I stopped exercising for 3 weeks now I am back to it. You will feel somewhat weak the first few weeks.

I am on the 4 and 2 plan, recommended by my doctor because she worried 5-1 would be too little calories for me to start with...I have a LOT to loose and I like to also do weight training so I like having the extra protein. I may eventually switch to 5-1 when I plateau ...

Were you on the 5-1 on your first 3 weeks? Or 4-2? Thank you so much for you input!! I think I may start on the 5-1 for the first 3 weeks - then move onto the 4-2 and add exercise in and when I plateau - switch to the 5-1.

Thank you so much, all this info have been a load of help!!! I'm excited to take this journey.

crazycatlady33 03-12-2013 12:59 AM

I started on 4-2 on Feb 7 and I am still on the 4-2. Every once in a while when my schedule is hectic I do the 5-1...but most days I make sure to get both my lean and greens in.

I would definitely consult with a coach about which plan to join...Starting out at 5-1 and then going to 4-2 will be an increase in calories it might make the weight loss screwy but I am not sure.

Teaa 03-12-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycatlady33 (Post 4664492)
I started on 4-2 on Feb 7 and I am still on the 4-2. Every once in a while when my schedule is hectic I do the 5-1...but most days I make sure to get both my lean and greens in.

I would definitely consult with a coach about which plan to join...Starting out at 5-1 and then going to 4-2 will be an increase in calories it might make the weight loss screwy but I am not sure.

I definitely need to find a coach, I'll email my non-responsive coach and see if she's still interested in coaching me. If not, I'll find one. Thanks so much for your input. Did you find that 5-1 has enough food to last the entire day?

crazycatlady33 03-12-2013 11:16 PM

If you follow the rules of eating every 2-3 hours and get enough sleep you should be able to do the 5 - 1 and be satisfied. It will take a few days to adjust but I am never starving.

YvonneH 03-13-2013 09:11 AM

I've been doing the 5 and 1 for three weeks now - a down 13 pounds and am completely satisfied with the amount of food. The only time I have found a feeling of hunger is when I am late for a meal. I have my phone programmed to remind me every 2.5 hours to eat giving me 1/2 hour play time. If I go past that - I definitely feel hungry but other than that I'm good to go.

If you are having issues with coaches - I LOVE mine - she is so responsive look up jennifer freeland.

Teaa 03-13-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YvonneH (Post 4666228)
I've been doing the 5 and 1 for three weeks now - a down 13 pounds and am completely satisfied with the amount of food. The only time I have found a feeling of hunger is when I am late for a meal. I have my phone programmed to remind me every 2.5 hours to eat giving me 1/2 hour play time. If I go past that - I definitely feel hungry but other than that I'm good to go.

If you are having issues with coaches - I LOVE mine - she is so responsive look up jennifer freeland.

Sounds good! I'm giving my current coach an open week.. haha if she doesn't respond I will most likely contact your coach. I have so many unanswered questions. But 13 lbs for 3 weeks?! That's amazing! Congratulations, I could only dream of losing that much. Are you adding exercise in as well? If so, what are you doing specifically? Thanks!

Teaa 03-13-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycatlady33 (Post 4665961)
If you follow the rules of eating every 2-3 hours and get enough sleep you should be able to do the 5 - 1 and be satisfied. It will take a few days to adjust but I am never starving.

That sounds great! How were the first few days? Thank you so much for your help! You've been tremendous with answering a lot of my questions. I really appreciate it.

YvonneH 03-13-2013 11:01 AM

I will be adding the treadmill in this week. I used to walk 4-miles a day but when I started MF my doctor and coach both said to reduce that. So, I went down to 1 mile at a leisure pace. I'm so excited about getting my 4-miles back. I will also be adding Yoga on DVD at the end of this week and the beginning of week 4. Once I get 40 pounds down, I have a friend at work who is a trainer and he will work with me in strength training - I can't wait for that -told him to yell at me as much as he wants.

But, I have lost without anything more than 1 mile a day at about 2 mph.

Teaa 03-13-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YvonneH (Post 4666418)
I will be adding the treadmill in this week. I used to walk 4-miles a day but when I started MF my doctor and coach both said to reduce that. So, I went down to 1 mile at a leisure pace. I'm so excited about getting my 4-miles back. I will also be adding Yoga on DVD at the end of this week and the beginning of week 4. Once I get 40 pounds down, I have a friend at work who is a trainer and he will work with me in strength training - I can't wait for that -told him to yell at me as much as he wants.

But, I have lost without anything more than 1 mile a day at about 2 mph.

That's amazing!! Okay, I'll definitely contact your coach by the end of the week - I need some direction with exercise - I don't know whether to decrease on cardio or weight training. That's great to hear! All your hard work will be well worth it in the end.