3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Medifast (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/medifast-223/)
-   -   October Medifast Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/medifast/152912-october-medifast-chat.html)

BlueRoses12 10-05-2008 06:55 PM

Hi all - I am new. So new to MF that I haven't even ordered yet. LOL. I want to do it through a bariatric physician (and office). I can't just blindly order via the web site. I have tried to "do things on my own" many times and failed miserably. Hopefully I will see a doc this Tuesday. I've done my research and believe MF is the way to go.

I have some other problems to address also - I am presently on a strong course of antibiotics for a skin problem - they are doing a number on my stomach at the moment. Then there's depression, and chronic pain, too. I will be addressing my obesity, depression, and chronic pain this Fall. Too many eggs in one basket? Yes, but they all go hand in hand.

My goal is to be a fit 130 lbs. by Summer 2009 and celebrate with a great vacation. Looking forward to posting with all of you. =)

Blue

TwoBThinAgain 10-05-2008 08:19 PM

Hi Blue,
I am new also, so new that today is only my second day. I thought about going to a DR here in my area for the plan, but there wasn't one very close. I will see my own internist for checkups and use these boards for the additional help & support. There is a lot of great recipe ideas & great motivation to be found here. For me, I can already feel the blues or depression lifting a bit just because being on this plan I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will be thin again. You can do it to! Let us all know how you make out when you go to the DR's. Good Luck.

djay 10-06-2008 08:04 AM

Good Morning Ladies!
Missy! So Nice to see your smiling face! Your planning for social occasions is great. That is what I do also...except that I don't drink tea. So I make sure to have a big bottle of water with me and I carry a MF bar in my purse...just in case.

ThinAgain, You are doing great! 2 days down. You will be through the dreaded first week before you know it! I can't wait to hear your weigh in. If you stay OP, that first week weigh in is usually quite impressive! I'm rooting for you!

Welcome BlueRoses. I wish you luck with the Doctor. Loosing the weight can certainly help with the problems you are experiencing!

CatWuv, Are you still with us? Would love to hear how you are doing now that you have a couple of weeks behind you.

I'm doing ok. Staying OP for now. They didn't deliver my meals last week as I expected so I am having to eat stuff I put back that I didn't like...Yep time to finish up those eggs and crab soup and lets not forget the Yummy Creme of Tomato soup...That stuff is the worst! It tastes like they mixed tomato and concrete then set it on fire till it turned into a fine powder then added a plastic coating so that it would never disolve in water! YUCK! Can't I just smash a tomato on the sidewalk and lick it up?

Guess I'm a little cranky today...but hey, It's Monday...I have an excuse!

Have a great OP day!

D

TwoBThinAgain 10-06-2008 03:27 PM

djay you are too funny.... I love the way you describe your least favorite foods:D. I actualy had the eggs again this morning, I had to put some lo carb ketchup on them to eat them but I will admit that my dogs, Brody & Tori each finished them for me this morning. The last few bites were not looking to good.
I hope your delivery gets to you soon.

Rickd 10-06-2008 03:58 PM

We it seems that I am out numbered here but am glad I found the forum as active as this for Medfast users. I have been on the plan for a month and lost 25 lbs. So far it seems like it is too easy, almost scary lol.

I approached this plan with a firm determination that I could lose the weight, make the lifestyle changes and keep it off. I have struggled over the last couple years with my weight, my blood pressure and it was begining to effect my body in many other ways.

I hope there is still and active group. I am curious to talk to those that have been on it for longer periods. Also to those that set out to loose more then 100+ lbs. So thanks for being here to learn from.

djay 10-06-2008 06:18 PM

Welcome Rick!

We aren't used to have a man around here! We will have to remember to put a robe on before posting now!:o

Congratulations on the 25 lb first month! That is fantastic!

I have been on Medifast for 3 months now. I actually started on a 2 week plateau because I was comming off of a plan that was even lower in calories and carbs. But I have still managed to loose 30 lbs. in about 10 weeks time. I still averaging 2-3 lbs. per week! Medifast is a dream come true to me since I am at that age where nothing was working to get pounds off!

Not sure how the weight loss will go with a man...but I think you can expect it to slow somewhat from what you saw the first month...But still expect much better than average results.

Hope you will stick around and chat with us!

D

BlueRoses12 10-07-2008 08:27 AM

Thank you for the warm welcomes, all! What a nice group. Turns out that it's a lot harder to find a Medifast practicioner or doctor than I thought, just as you found TwoB. The doctor I was going to see "does not write prescriptions", is not a medifast physician, and only dispenses Phentermine. No thanks to amphetamine type medications.

I was hoping to find a doctor/clinic that would guide me with Medifast (I am the type who really needs that) and prescribe Meridia. The Medifast web site is totally outdated when it comes to doctors in my state and CS only has the same info that we have on the site in this regard.

A casual friend who is much heavier and had gastric bypass done this past June (she's doing really well and down about 50 lbs.) has been obese all her life. She told me that with the only other time in her life that she lost weight was with a Medifast/Meridia combo. I am trying to get ahold of her about the doctor she went to.

I am not giving up and looking forward to starting the program.

TTYA soon.
Blue

TwoBThinAgain 10-07-2008 11:21 AM

Hi Blue,:)
I started MF this past Saturday, at this moment I'm quite shocked at how I'm NOT hungry. There must be something in the foods that are filling. If you are looking for support, I think MF does provide you with a support person who will check in on you. I have not heard from anybody, but again it has only been a few days for me. My sister in law has been on program for almost 3 months and she says she has somebody who calls & checks in on her. For me to not be hungry is an absoulte miracle. For a few months prior to doing MF I craved nothing but fast food, all day. That is really bad! I can honestly say that I feel full & satisfied after eating either a shake, soup, bar, etc. The L&G meal allows for more protein than I would have had at a meal at home before doing MF. One other thing that I like about being on this program so far is the feeling of not being bloated & overstuffed. You can actully tell your gut & intestines are not holding on to food that takes too long to digest. Give yourself a little credit maybe you can do this without Meredia. Maybe you can try the 2 week program just for starters to see if you can do this without the RX. It just may be possible. Let us know what you decide to do. :hug:

CatWuv 10-07-2008 02:52 PM

Hi everyone!
It is great to see so many posts in the thread. I am in the midst of re-doing the 3-day initiation period because I swerved off MF on my mother's B-Day and overdid some of the treats=:(. But now, I am super psyched to be back on and won't let anything derail me for the long haul! Hopefully, I don't have too many carbs to burn off before I get into the fat-burning zone.
How many carbs do y'all eat daily? Do you try to eat around 80 grms or do you vary between 80-100? I find that on most days I don't hit even 80 which worries me because I have heard that the brain needs a certain of carbs to function fully.

I just bought my first spaghetti squash and would appreciate any tips because I have no idea how to turn it into "spaghetti". Thanks everyone and I hope y'all enjoy a great MediFast day!!

lovediet 10-07-2008 05:39 PM

Hi Ladies!

Long time lurker here. I've lost 20 lbs so far using nutrisystem and working out at Curves 3x a week. Recently, though, I went to go and see my grandfather who lives in another state and of course in all of the activity, I strayed from my plan.

Since getting back, I've hit a plateau. It is hard to stay faithful to NS. I miss REAL food and my craving for carbs is insatiable, even after eating NS food. Even when I am faithful I have still reached a point where the scale isn't moving and after 3mo of the same ol' food, I am getting bored.

Since I had some extra paypal cash from a return transaction, I decided to order medifast from someone selling it on ebay and give it a try.

I have some concerns however, so maybe a few of you can help me address them.

1- I like working out at Curves and I have been doing it for the last 3 mo. Will I need to stop working out when I start MF? The workouts aren't too high impact from what I've experienced.

2- My mother was hesitant to let me try this because she said all of her friends developed gallbladder issues after trying this. Is this the case if I want to only try it for a month to 2 months??

3- I really only have about 25-30 lbs to lose, so is this a good plan for me to try, or is it intended for people who need to lose more?

4- Will I feel hungry on the plan or will I feel weak?

Please let me know your experiences. I wanted to give it a shot!

djay 10-07-2008 06:14 PM

:hug: Catwuv! Glad you came back! that is the important part. Never give up! My carbs generally fluctuate between 70-100. Usually in the high eighties. I tend toward the higher carb veggies. I just don't eat salad all that much. I love to grill my veggies. Especially squash and mushrooms! Somehow it seems like more of a meal to me than a salad...I know...I'm kinda weird...

ThinAgain-I agree with you. I'm not sure what a doctor can add to the Medifast experience. In the end it is up to you to decide you are going to do it. Support is important...You can certainly get that here. I don't know about Medifast having someone check on you...I have been doing it for 3 months and have never heard from them. Except that they do send e-mails to encourage and support you.

lovediet- Welcome. I'll try to answer some of your questions as best I can.

1. Medifast recomends that you do not excersise for the first 2 weeks while you body adjusts to the lower calorie intake. After that they encourage you to get 30 mins. per day or up to 45 mins. if you were used to excersising before you started Medifast. Because of the low calorie intake, If you do more than 45 mins. per day, you risk burning muscle instead of fat.

2. I have not heard of any gallblatter problems...but that is a serious medical concern that you and/or you and your mother should talk to your doctor about and be comfortable with before starting the program.

3. I personally think Medifast is a great program no matter how much you have to loose! 5 lbs. to 1000 lbs. If it is the right diet for your lifestyle it works for everyone.

4. The first few days are difficult for some people...but not all. Your body will adjust quickly to the lower calorie intake. But until then some people feel tired, weak, or hungry. That is another reason they recomend that you don't excersise for the first 2 weeks.
After the first few days, you will be amazed at how much energy you have and how full the meals keep you all day long. For some reason, you also loose the craving for "bad" foods. One of my personal favorite perks of the plan is that after a couple of weeks you will notice an improvement in your skin! It's like you glow from within! I would have never believed it!

Medifast has an excellent Q&A on their web site if you need more information on these and other topics. But I hope I answered your questions.

Good Luck! Check back and let us know what you decide!

missygith 10-07-2008 06:50 PM

Hey hey everyone...
I had a major thought reading your post Lovediet. Your insatiable carb cravings... I cured my carb/sugar cravings with probiotics. I would just want something bread or pasta or chippy or chocolate or sugar or, well you get the pic. ANYTHING carb. and I would chow on it! So, I did this before i did the program. I got some mega doses of probiotics (acidophilus) for about 45 days (the product was called threlac) now, I do regular amounts of it everyother day. It turns out that yeast taking up shop in your intestines can cause such intense cravings in there quest to feed their own hungers. Check into it, it rocked my world. I can go days without a sweet;)

missygith 10-07-2008 06:59 PM

oops, accidently hit post instead of go advanced.... anyhooo
Djay, I love your supportive spirit! Your rock'n it hard!
I went on a 4 day fast last janurary and let me tell you, I had no tiredness. I felt clarity and energy beyond any coffee or stimulant. That being said, lowering your caloric intake is not nessecarily a reason for fatigue. WATER and vitamins are key.
Welcome Rick, love to see a man here... Hi Catwuv (sorry, I hate spagetti squash)
... gotta go run up to the bus stop to get my DH #1. (blab too much missy?) Be so very good all, missy

lovediet 10-07-2008 08:16 PM

missygith- threlac huh? That sounds great, I had never heard of that before. Can I just get that at a local health food store?

djay- Thanks for your info and support! I am going to try it and see how it goes! I will let everyone know how it is going when it arrives at my doorstep :).

missygith 10-07-2008 09:57 PM

Hey Love, Threelac is really just mega doses of probiotics. Its in a freezedried powder form and from what little I know shouldnt be used for longer than 3 months. I used it to just kick all the yeast out in a big way and quick. I got it online at amazon.com and paid problebly the best price there, (what can i say, Im on a budget) it was 47.00 for 45 day supply. I had die off very soon and almost immediatly lost my sweet tooth so Id say for me it was totally worth it and i would do it again in a heartbeat. but some dont do so well with the mega doses. Maybe you could go to the health store and ask what their strongest, or most effective product in the probiotic arena is. Just know, that once you knock the yeast out, (or actually down, for I dont think you can ever knck it completly out) you dont need to keep up the big guns, you can just take regular probiotics to maintain. Jesh, I am too long winded!
Im gonna be Princess Leia for halloween! was gonna be Snow white but the boys are going to be Darth vadar and Clone tropper Rex, so I jumped in on the theme of it all. LOL
Anyone else dressing for halloween?
Later, Missy