3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Maintenance Library (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library-169/)
-   -   need fictional weightloss novels (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library/58050-need-fictional-weightloss-novels.html)

MrsDawsondn 05-16-2005 12:28 PM

need fictional weightloss novels

Can anyone recommend a fictional book about weightloss? I am loosing weight and an avid reader. I have come across some really funny books as well as touching ones. Someone on one of these threads said something about a book called diary of a fat housewife and I'm going to pick that up now but I was wondering if anyone else knew of any good reads that were more than just a self help book. Reading and inspiration for entertainment if you get my drift? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Meg 05-16-2005 12:42 PM

Hi MrsDawsondn! I'm an avid reader too, so can't wait to hear what everyone recommends. Diary of a Fat Housewife is non-fiction and you said you're looking for ficton, but it's well worth the read. The only novels coming to my mind right now are Jemima J by Jane Green and Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner.

Do you have any recommendations for us? :)

MrsDawsondn 05-16-2005 01:47 PM

Oh yes ofcourse I read a wonderfully humorous book called somethings wrong with your scale, I can't remember the author. It was the funniest book I'd read yet, I just got back from the library with a book by Helen Fielding call Bridget jones Diary that I'm anxious to read. There was a book entitled fruit by I think his name was Peter cailman I can't remember because I put it back Sorry. I found diary of a fat housewife so I'll be picking that up later today. Oh and the book called The me I knew that I Could be by Krystal Phillips is a good read. If I come up with more I'll be sure to update you guys on this.

Gladdy 05-16-2005 03:54 PM

I give thumbs up to Meg's suggestion Jemima J ; that was a fun read.

Mrs. D, is the book you're referring to Tales from the Scale ? The author is Erin J. Shea and she has an entertaining weight-loss blog called "Lose the Buddha". http://www.ejshea.com/buddha/index.html
(I haven't read the book yet.)

This is a fun thread; I hope we hear lots of good suggestions! If I think of any, I will post them.

Sashenka 05-16-2005 04:17 PM

Jennifer Weiner "In her shoes". Interesting and fun to read for both young and old, slim and not slim...

MrsJim 05-16-2005 04:29 PM

Jemima J is great. I've read Good in Bed it was good but a bit depressing for my tastes.

Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood is good!

No one else read Blubber by Judy Blume? Another book I read when I was a teen was One Fat Summer - it was about a fat boy who spends summer at a lake.

Gotta run but I'm sure I'll think of more :)

WaterRat 05-16-2005 06:10 PM

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, and Night Swimming by Robin Schwarz both deal with weight loss issues, and are good reads.

sapphire9 05-16-2005 06:30 PM

The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood. It's about anorexia but it's bitingly funny.

MrsDawsondn 05-18-2005 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladdy
I give thumbs up to Meg's suggestion Jemima J ; that was a fun read.

Mrs. D, is the book you're referring to Tales from the Scale ? The author is Erin J. Shea and she has an entertaining weight-loss blog called "Lose the Buddha". http://www.ejshea.com/buddha/index.html
(I haven't read the book yet.)

This is a fun thread; I hope we hear lots of good suggestions! If I think of any, I will post them.

It's called somethings wrong with your scale by van whitfield and it was by far the funniest book I've read on weightloss yet. Oh and just an update for all the bridget jones diary is a pretty good book. The author and narrative character is european so sometimes I am struggling with understanding the lingo but all in all it's pretty funny and I'm sure everyone that has ever struggled with juggling weight and life can relate. You'll get a chuckle here and there from it.

Gladdy 05-18-2005 06:48 PM

Totally OT, but I had to share the title of a newly-published book:

"Be Honest--You're Not That Into Him Either..."
by Ian Kerner

:lol: :cool:

Sophie2B 05-24-2005 10:47 PM

Some books that deal with weight loss issues are:

Fat Chance, by Deborah Blumenthal
Slim Chance, by Jackie Rose
In Her Shoes, by Jennifer Weiner (also deals with weight loss issue of one of the sisters)
Life in the fat lane, by Cherie Bennett (Young Adult fiction)

I can only recommend "In Her Shoes" though I will be reading "Slim Chance" any day now.

Happy Reading,
Sophie2B

Universityprincess 05-25-2005 05:13 AM

I read Something is Wrong with Your Scale, and I have to say that I did not like it.

Savin4Disney 06-11-2005 05:49 PM

Here are some books I have read:
I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure
The Weight Loss Diaries by Courtney Rubin

Trixie14 06-12-2005 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterRat
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, and Night Swimming by Robin Schwarz both deal with weight loss issues, and are good reads.

I'll Second She Comes Undone, what an AWESOME read that was!! I loved that book, I have read a few others called 'Fat Chance' by Leslea Newman, 'Insatiable' by Eve Eliot, 'Life in the Fat lane' by Cherie Bennett and some others I can't think of, try going to Chapters.ca and searching for 'weight fiction' or 'weight loss fiction' that is what I do...

Mel 06-12-2005 09:41 PM

I'll "third" She's Come Undone and second The Edible Woman. Both fantastic books!

Mel