The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #1  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Default 2010 article about diet experimentation by fit athlete

Hi all,
This is an older article but I just stumbled across it today on a blog and found it interesting. The author is not trying to lose weight but is concerned with maintaining muscle mass and athletic performance, keeping body fat low, and having good lipid test results.
Coincidentally (and sadly), there is a quote from Robin Williams in it.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness...-vs--Food.html
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Thank you for posting this. It was an interesting read. You have to take into consideration that he was not an overweight person looking to lose weight. He already had good eating and exercise habits, didn't have any issues with food....used it for fuel. Most people become obese because they have some type of eating disorder. Also, most people want to lose weight, and quickly. They don't really care about their lab results.

JMO
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #3  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

Interesting that he tried all those diets. It's not something I'd want to do. I'm happy eating the way I am now.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I was skeptical going into this article but he is spot on, namely you have to find what works for you. Which is why I dislike branded diets (unless you are very lucky enough to find that one of them works for you!).

Like him, I eat Lean protein, good fats, healthy carbs. But my choice of these is very different to his. I eat tons of fish, lots of omega 3s and steel cut oats and honey.

These work for me. His would not work for me. Again, it took a lot of trial and error as it did for him. But hey, weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.

I also eat very large portions. He has to stick to modest ones. Poor guy. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

You also don't have to do blood tests all the time like he suggests. Use the scale. Look in the mirror. Bowel movements. Look at your hair, eyes, skin. They should all be getting better. Your mood should be elevated/less anxiety. Workouts should get easier. When my diet gets better, these things get better.

Last edited by IanG; 08-16-2014 at 07:27 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I guess he wanted to see how the different diets were affecting his lipids. That's something you cannot see without blood work.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #6  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

IanG - that was exactly what I liked about this article too, that he built his diet based on these various experiences, until he had created the ideal customized diet for his body and his needs.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

Well, it's worked for me JayZeeJay! So far at least.

I added balsamic vinegar today. Let's see how that works out.

Truth be told, my unhealthy obsession with food has been converted into a healthly obsession with food. So being a food addict hasn't turned out that bad. I just needed to find the healthy stuff to obsess about rather than the cr@p.

That should ruffle some feathers...

Last edited by IanG; 08-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #8  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

I obsess over food too particularly trying to be healthy. For years I thought it was a bad thing but these days I simply accept it and enjoy it.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Truth be told, my unhealthy obsession with food has been converted into a healthly obsession with food. So being a food addict hasn't turned out that bad. I just needed to find the healthy stuff to obsess about rather than the cr@p.
This is a great perspective! I don't want to be shackled to food obsession in any form, but I do believe my focus on food can be harnessed for good!
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

Nice!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #11  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post

Truth be told, my unhealthy obsession with food has been converted into a healthly obsession with food. So being a food addict hasn't turned out that bad. I just needed to find the healthy stuff to obsess about rather than the cr@p.)
Well said.
Sage2 is offline   Reply With Quote