3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Maintenance Library (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library-169/)
-   -   Primal Law#3 move frequently at a slow pace (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library/197147-primal-law-3-move-frequently-slow-pace.html)

srmb60 03-19-2010 02:56 PM

Primal Law#3 move frequently at a slow pace

Walking, swimming, biking ... I understand the notion to be that we build a base of fitness. The ability to use our bodies gently in an active manner. Walkers are already partially primal!

Thoughts on this? What do you do and why? How has this benefitted you?

Sandi 03-19-2010 02:58 PM

I asked the most respected trainer at the gym the other day to help me with my program. He said, go longer. Don't worry about your speed, just worry about putting in as many minutes as you can. So I would say...I agree!

Ilene 03-20-2010 11:08 AM

I like longer and slower but sometimes, or most of the time, I don't have time to go longer, so I go faster to shorten the time... I also find that when I go slower and longer I don't sweat, and I love a good sweat...

This law may be right for some and not for others...

JulieJ08 03-20-2010 01:58 PM

I like the idea that we stress ourselves with our "workout regimens." I like the idea of a gentler, daily active life. I imagine different activities and intensities suit different people.

I think these "laws" are written so briefly that some people may not really understand what he's advising. For example, he also advises lifting and sprinting, so he has intensity too.

calluna 03-21-2010 02:22 PM

I like to mix it up, in fact need to. day 1 = upper body weights/abs/intense cardio; day 2 = lower body weights/abs/intense cardio; day 3 = long, slow cardio; day 4=rest.

Friday was my long/slow cardio - a day at the pool with my boys. I was in the pool swimming and playing off and on for 5 hours. It was outstanding. Other times I take the dogs for a long ramble. That said, I still need the discipline and rigor of weights and more intense workouts. I wouldn't do without either.

nelie 03-22-2010 11:03 AM

In my daily life, I also don't have a lot of time for slower activities. I do park my car so that I am not 'close' when I'm going places and I do try to walk here and there. Ideally, I wouldn't have a car and would be able to get stuff done without one but it doesn't quite work like that.

One reason I love going on vacation is generally there is a lot of walking involved. I went to NYC recently to visit a friend and I wore my bodybugg. I burned as much/more calories each day while in NYC as I did during my high exercise days (2.5 hours of exercise).

Nada 03-22-2010 11:57 AM

My running qualifies as slow, so I guess I'm OK with this.