3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Maintenance Library (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library-169/)
-   -   Books that have helped motivate you or helped you lose weight (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library/175016-books-have-helped-motivate-you-helped-you-lose-weight.html)

Smiling_Sara 07-08-2009 09:52 PM

So, I'm about 50 pages into Skinny B*tch. It's entertaining so far. Not sure I agree with everything they have said, but it is interesting, and will most certainly make me think more about what I"m putting into my mouth.

Smiling_Sara 08-05-2009 10:25 PM

Bumping for more books!

I was listening to a radio show, they had a Dr Kessler on who talked about his book, The End Of Overeating. It seems very interesting and has been added to my list. Anyone read it here? What did you think of it? Link below should follow you to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/End-Overeating...9525512&sr=8-1

HungryHungryHippo 08-05-2009 11:00 PM

I just finished a memoir called The Hungry Years: Confessions of a Food Addict. Pretty good.

HotWings 08-05-2009 11:39 PM

I didn't see anyone mention:

The Body Sculpting Bible for Women by James Villepigue

The others I have read have been mentioned! :)

LisaF 08-06-2009 09:37 AM

Wow, I'm really surprised that no one's mentioned Geneen Roth. Her books aren't about dieting per se, but about approaching food and eating in a healthy way. "Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating" and "Feeding the Hungry Heart" really helped me to start changing the way I handle food and emotional eating. It's been a while since I've read them, and I do remember that they had annoying bits, but there were enough gems that I would absolutely recommend them. The other book of hers that I've read, and the one I pull out more often, is, "When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy (When You Feel Anything But)". Because she's been there, her advice is realistic and down-to-earth, and I usually find something in there to put a smile on my face. I don't agree with everything she says, but the way she writes makes me feel like I don't have to. I don't get an "all or nothing" feeling from her books the way I do from some other diet/eating books.

Lisa

wanting2b140 08-06-2009 10:00 AM

Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs.... She lost 200 pounds using her Brain Change theory! Awesome self reflective book!

wanting2b140 08-06-2009 10:01 AM

...not sure if someone said that or not as I didn't go thru all the passed posts.

wanting2b140 08-06-2009 10:02 AM

Also... Need to Know Basics on Dieting was good. It helped me learn more about reading labels and how the body actually works with food. Understanding all that really helped realize what I was doing wrong and what I could do to help!

wanting2b140 08-06-2009 10:04 AM

Any other insight on Skinny B**ch?? I have heard tons about this book and am wondering if I should read it....hmmm?

caliyah 08-06-2009 12:39 PM

retrain your brain reshape your body
the gabriel method

great read!

jayjay77 08-06-2009 11:29 PM

I have Skinny B**ch in the Kitch which is more of a cookbook. I am not a vegan but wanted to incorporate more vegan recipes into my diet.

I also like the Bill Phillips Body for Life and Eating for Life books.

I did not like the French Women ... book because I made one of the recipes and it was horrible and I'm usually a pretty good cook.

Devsmama 08-07-2009 09:08 AM

the bible.

Smiling_Sara 08-07-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanting2b140 (Post 2862296)
Any other insight on Skinny B**ch?? I have heard tons about this book and am wondering if I should read it....hmmm?

it's actually a pretty quick read. It's interesting. Makes you think. I do think they are kinda "over the top" but it's still an interesting read. And I think the girls are funny.

bubbins11 08-08-2009 12:00 AM

I just want to thank everyone for these great book ideas! Perfect way to use a Barnes & Noble gift card! :)

NiteNicole 08-08-2009 12:16 AM

I loved Neris and India's Idiot Proof Diet. I'll never be a very successful low carb dieter due to the whole aversion to meat (and cooking it) thing but it was such a fun book and I really makes me feel like weight loss is possible and attainable everytime I pick it up. I keep it in my desk for a little boost. It's fun and it makes the me feel really really positive about dieting...like it's a choice and not this big horrible hardship. There's a good deal of very basic mental stuff and motivational stuff too that, for whatever reason, really just speaks to me.