Have any books helped on your weight loss journey?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Hello

When I start to mess up with my weight loss, I found it helps me to read a good book or article to get my mind back in the game.

So I was wondering what book or books have helped you in your journey?

Feel free to list multiple, but definitely let us know what one book you feel has hoped the most.

It could be a random book that just happened to help, a weight loss book, motivational book, dieting book, cook book etc.

Thanks everyone for your help.
  • Try this thread for starters. There are one or two books I'd add now, and I'll update later, but it is a good start on my recommendations.

Anne
  • Thanks Anne! I'm going to look through them now.

My books:

Skinny B*tch- Life changing for me.

I just ordered The Secrets of a Former Fat Girl:
    http://www.formerfatgirl.com/index.html

Also ordered 2 of Dr.McDougall's books, one cook book and one diet book. He supports vegan eating and dieting, so if that is not something you are interested in the book is probably not for you
    http://www.drmcdougall.com/

I'll update you all on these 3 books after I look at them!
  • Okay so a few of those books on the other forum did sound great. Would still like to hear more!
  • I really like Initutive Eating...about half way through it now. There is a thread on this website if you are interested!
  • Secrets of a Former Fat Girl, just picked it up, I'm about half way threw and it's super helpful!
  • Actually I just ordered Secrets of a former fat girl yesterday! Glad you like it Hopefully I do too!
  • "Fat is a Feminist Issue" and books by Geneen Roth were especially helpful.
  • Winning by Losing - Jillian Michaels
    Are You Ready! - Bob Harper

Those two are my favorites by far. Jillian's book moreso than Bob's.
  • Bowden DVDs and books , man is a king , books from Charles Poliquin , The paleo diet , the omega diet
  • Thanks for your ideas, I appreciate it.
  • "french women don't get fat" was really eye opening to me. and made a lot of sense. i never realized but here in our diet book/program culture in America we have stopped enjoying food and always worrying about the bad foods but never take the time to think of all the good foods we can have.
  • helwa, I've been influenced by that book too, even though I don't love everything about it. And my actual food is different, because I'm vegetarian, and I don't actually love that much cream & cheese, and I don't need French bread every day! But it really helps you to change your mindset.
  • I love "Confessions of a Reformed Dieter" and " A Lazy Girl's Guide To Losing Weight and Getting Fit", both by A.J. Rochester. They are very inspiring and full of useful ideas. I have re-read both several times.
  • 1. "Half-A**ed" by by Jennette Fulda
    2. "Thin Is the New Happy" by Valerie Frankel (deals with weight, weight loss & body image)
    3. "The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl" by Shauna Reid
    4. "The Next Big Thing" by Johanna Edwards (a chick lit romance a la "The Biggest Loser" reality tv show in which the heroine of the story clocks in at 227 lbs.)
    5. "Bridget Jones's Diary" by Helen Fielding
    6. "Hungry: Lessons Learned on the Journey from Fat to Thin" by Allen Zadoff
    7. "Joining the Thin Club: Tips for Toning Your Mind after You've Trimmed Your Body" by Judith Lederman (A GREAT read for those who lose a huge number of lbs but don't know how to prepare themselves for living a "thin" life after reaching their goal weight. Co-author lost 80 lbs.)
    8. "the secrets of skinny chicks" by karen bridson
    9. "The rosedale diet" (the diet plan I'm currently on)
    10. "Do I look Fat in This?" by Jessica weiner
    11. "Such a Pretty Fat" by Jen Lancaster (***HIGHLY recommended weight-loss-in-progress memoir!***)