The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #16  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I would add Mindless Eating and Faithfully Fit.
Both have helped me along this journey!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #17  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and Mindless Eating all changed the way I view my relationship with food and thus changed my eating habits. And, of course, Thin for Life is the book I go back to over and over again.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #18  
15th year in maintenance

S/C/G: 285/172/170

Height: 5'11"

Although not a book about weight loss, Dr. Roy Walford's, Beyond the 120 Year Diet, had a big influence on me. It's a good reference book of nutritional requirement for anyone on a reduced calorie plan.
JohnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #19  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

"French women don't get fat" was interesting for me as well. Not that we're all uber-thin in my country, I'm proof of that :P, but I found it a good read, and one that indeed helps in recasting the idea of eating on another angle.

(I also liked "Japanese women don't get fat or old", but I confess that what I really liked in it were the recipes, and the testimony that you *can* cook even if all you have is a 1-metre large kitchenette. ^^)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 150/145/110

Height: 4 ft 11

Hands down, my food diary!
kari1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #21  
forgetting the past

Height: 5'3

I agree! my food diary too! LOL.
xchampagnedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #22  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Ooh I love when people add more books :-)

Here is a fun romance novel I read that was very cute...

"He Loves Lucy," by Susan Donovan.
Ad-exec Lucy Cunningham signs on as the guinea pig for a health club - she has to lose 100 pounds within a year with the help of a trainer. To give her more incentive, both she and the trainer will receive $1000 per lost pound. She could use the money to start her own agency; Theo Redmond, her trainer can use the money to return to medical school.

The first meeting is priceless - let's just say who thought that walking and eating Milk Duds could be a fatal act. As Lucy and Theo spend more time together working out and getting to know each other, they start to develop feelings for each other. As she starts to lose pounds, they both find they are losing their hearts. But both have been burned by love, and neither is sure if they are ready to enter the ring again.

Interspersed with funny food diary entries (and hysterical affirmations), the story is both humorous and endearing. While not nearly as steamy as Donovan's previous novels, the poignant relationship between the two keeps your attention glued.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 265/242/135

Height: 5'7"

i liked-

fat is a feminist issue
skinny *****
and i listened to the audio version of "you on a diet" while driving,
and got a lot out of that.

i also bought some vegan cookbooks. i like the "veganomicon" quite
a bit. "vegan cupcakes take over the world" is also nice.

currently im reading "the portable personal trainer." i can see that
i am going to get a lot out of this one, too.
kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #24  

I'm still losing but the very best book, by far, that I've read on the subject (and like every big girl I've read A LOT of them) is Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. It's an e-book but contains a TON of information on fat loss which may or may not include weight loss. He now has a mainstream book but I hear it isn't quite as good (or long) as BFFM.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #25  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

A romance-comedy book I'm currently reading is "Bet Me" by Jessica Crusie. The main character is a curvy girl, and a mom who always tries to put her on a diet, but the man she meets love sher curves, and it really makes you feel good about yourself just the way you are.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Hehehe, Jennifer Crusie is a guilty pleasure. She is such a funny writer, really a difference from the typical romance novel.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 231/156/150

Height: 5'8''

I bought and read "French Women Don't Get Fat" and it kick-started my recent weight-loss after gaining back 10-15 of my 60 pound loss (75 now, hee hee).

It helped me to see food and eating differently. I enjoy food a lot more now than I ever did--food is not the enemy!

My faves by far were the recipes. I loved the desserts that were basically fruit. It made me realize that my idea of dessert has been largely created by restaurant menus and popular entertainment. I NEVER, before reading this book, would have considered cooked pears a dessert. When i made them--Oh my goodness were they perfectly sweet and satisfying.

I thought that I was not one of those people that ate excessively. But I regularly spooned more than I should into my bowl, if you know what I mean. I just didn't know it. I actually decided to measure my cereal after reading that book--just measure out the serving size and eat that only--and I lost 4 pounds in one month doing nothing else differently. She made a big deal out of the practice that they have of eating 5 course meals--but each course is small. you can eat so much more if you eat less....

Also--can I just say--glamour or Allure or marie Claire....one of those has an EAT THIS, NOT THAT section every issue where it shows, like...one really crazily bad for you-but commonly eaten among women- food against a whole plate full of other perfectly yummy foods for the same calories/nutrition content. That bit of recreational reading always give me a kick in the pants!

I refuse to waste my calories on ONE thing when I can eat 5 things!!!

I also have Healthy Eating--Using the Glycemic Index for optimal health. Lots of recipes and also information about carbohydrates and the GI index.
littletortugalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

You: On a Diet opened my eyes to the glycemic index, which has had a huge impact on how I approach food now; however, I found the cutesy way it is written highly annoying. Nevertheless, the info it contains has been invaluable to me.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 150/136/120

Height: 5'5"

I really enjoyed Mindless Eating; Brian Wansink is probably THE most trustworthy author on this subject out there, period (he also has my DREAM JOB!). I love to hear science *from people who actually conduct the studies* and not just people who've read an article somewhere and decide to quote it with conviction in their book.

Michael Pollen (bless his brilliant, brilliant heart)'s articles and especially his genius In Defense of Food has done more to inspire, motivate, and change my eating habits then everything else I've read during the last several months. I adore how pragmatic and surprisingly unpreachy he is, and I'm convinced that his now-famous motto -- "Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -- is THE perfect blueprint for a diet, period
JoJoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #30  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I bought The Gabriel Method last week. VERY interesting approach...mostly how to work on your mind to convince your body to let go of the "safe" fat.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote