Article - Twinkies Get Slimmed Down

• Has the world completely lost its mind? On what planet is a 100-calorie Twinkie "a sensible snack"? How about an apple? Carton of yogurt? String cheese? Cottage cheese?

Twinkies Get Slimmed Down

Quote:
    Hostess Twinkies are becoming the latest product remade and repackaged into 100-calorie snack packs, a product some analysts say could do well given that more people are packing their own lunches in the slumping economy.

The maker of the golden yellow, creme-filled cake is launching "Twinkie Bites" nationwide in stores on Monday. It's also introducing a snack pack featuring strawberry cupcakes as it extends the 100-calorie pack line originally aimed at women who wanted to snack more sensibly.
    (my emphasis added)

Keep in mind that a regular Twinkie is 150 calories and you could buy one and cut it into your own 100-calorie pack for a whole lot less money. Of course, then it might not seem like quite as much of a "sensible snack"!
  • Not even tasty junk food.

Anne
  • Ok, so a 100 calorie twinkie is how big? Half a bite? Although I did like those as a kid, nothing comes between me and a HoHo these days (thank GOODNESS I can never find them in the stores!!!!!!!).
  • Well... to be fair... it does say MORE sensibily... a 100 calorie twinkie is more sensible than a full size one. Of course, not more sensible than a piece of fruit or anything else you suggested but... it is what it is.
  • The difference between 100 calories and 150 calories isn't much.

I went and looked and a 'light' twinkie has 130 calories so the calorie difference is even less.

What you can get for 100 calories or even 130 calories seems a lot better (and cheaper) than 100/130 calories worth of twinkies.

My favorite snacks -
    Medium sized banana - 105 calories (fiber, potassium, a bit of protein as well)
    Large apple - 110 calories (fiber, potassium and calcium)
    1/4 cup of shelled edamame - 94 calories (fiber, lots of calcium, lots of potassium and good source of protein)
    1/4 cup of raw almonds - 133 calories (good fats, fiber, protein, calcium and potassium)

What does a twinkie give you besides a sugar rush and insulin spike which causes more sugar cravings?

I do think the world has gone mad if 100 calories of junk is considered a sensible snack
  • Aren't twinkies the food that never get stale, moldy, or go bad? Or was that just in Wall-E?
  • Twinkies will never age. Many years ago, there used to be a website that had twinkies versus other foods and how well the other foods aged compared to the twinkies. Twinkies never aged. The others got moldy/went bad/etc.
  • Quote: Twinkies will never age. Many years ago, there used to be a website that had twinkies versus other foods and how well the other foods aged compared to the twinkies. Twinkies never aged. The others got moldy/went bad/etc.
    One time I had a box of Twinkies for the kids. I forgot about the box of them. They didn't mold or anything, but they were hard as a rock!