3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   The Maintenance Library (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library-169/)
-   -   Refuse to Regain (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/maintenance-library/155451-refuse-regain.html)

hashi 11-07-2008 06:12 PM

I'm thrilled to have read this thread:)

The auto immune link possibility really hits home with me. I have Hashimoto's

I eat grains on a very limited basis. I chose my grains wisely. I eat 1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal daily with yogurt. I rarely eat bread or crackers. I will have Ronzoni Pasta 2X a month. The benefit of Ronzoni Pasta is that it's loaded with fiber & calcium. Rarely eat rice.

I also run but I haven't felt the need for grains. My diet is loaded with fruits,veggies, and very lean proteins.

With thyroid disease I notice that eating very low fat really helps me.

Barbara Berkeley 11-08-2008 09:54 AM

For those who want to read a more extensive treatment of the potential issues with grain...I recommend the article titled, "Cereal Grains: Humanity's Double Edged Sword", by Loren Cordain. This reply format would not allow me to provide a link, but you can easily google the article and get the whole text (greater than 50 pages). This is a long paper on the positive and negative aspects of grain consumption. This science is still on the outskirts of general thinking, but it's well documented and interesting. I believe it is worth looking at. In general, it's my belief that lowering the load of insulin producing foods in the diet of POWs (previously overweight people) is prudent. That means not only modern sugars and starches, but the load of grain based foods as well. The amount that each individual can tolerate is determined by their ability to maintain weight within a healthy range.

fiberlover 11-16-2008 12:22 PM

Finished the book last night. There were a lot of things I really enjoyed about it. I think the fact that Barbara lays it on the line about how vigilant you have to be to maintain is really important.

And I think the action plan is great, with the 12 rules to follow. I am going to make a 3 ring binder with actual plans written in. So if I gain some weight, I have a concrete plan to follow, rather than those vague thoughts of "better be on track tomorrow".
I will make some menus up to put in there, so that I have no excuses.

The recipes sound quite yummy as well.

Barbara Berkeley 11-16-2008 12:35 PM

Thanks so much to you Lori. I am so gratified that you found something of value in the book. You know, when I set out to write a book, I didn't realize how scary it was going to be to have people actually read it! On the other hand, i fully believe in what I've written and I know there is information about maintenance that is difficult to hear but needs to be said. Once again, I thank you so much. For those of you who read the book and disagree with parts, i just want to reiterate that, for me, the most important message is the diligence,planning and vigilance. The method you use really depends on your personal needs and successes.

kaplods 11-16-2008 02:37 PM

I haven't received my copy of the book yet, but I think even if I were to disagree with almost everything in the book (which from the discussion here, I'm thinking is pretty unlikely), I still would consider it a "break through" book, because of the topic itself.

It's rather sad and shocking that maintenance isn't a more common topic. While there are thousands of books on the topic of weight loss, very few address even fleetingly, the unique challenges of keeping the weight off.

Mrs Snark 11-20-2008 08:33 AM

I've almost finished the book and I've really enjoyed it in general. I particularly like how you pull no punches when it comes to accepting that maintenance is hard and that you need to approach it with adult behavior and commitment while becoming more aware of and rejecting our culture of food and instant gratification. Amen, sister! Your descriptions of "food assaults" are dead on. And your discussion about ending our guilt for having this struggle with food and weight in the first place was very helpful, as well. I like most of your rules and had already adopted many of them on my own.

Regarding the "Primarian" diet: I do really like the concept of eating the foods our bodies are programmed to best recognize and use, as it does makes sense to me logically. My problem is that as an ethical vegan, I think my meals would probably be too limited to be healthy. But I'll do more research because as a concept, I really like it.

A couple areas of the book I didn't really relate to were:

Your rejection of calorie counting. I wouldn't have lost weight without it and I plan to continue to do it. As I already eat from a "limited menu", just as you suggest in your book, keeping track of calories is not hard at all. And if I don't count, I get food creep. I know you use the Scream Weight as a way to make adjustments on a daily basis (instead of calorie counting) but I'd rather control it up front instead of on the scale.

Your acceptance of packaged diet foods, diet sodas, sugar replacers, etc. I personally have made an effort to cut all of that junk out completely. I understand your position (you commented on this topic already in your previous post) it just has a certain... discord... when placed side-by-side with the encouragement to eat an more "ancient diet". It kind of feels like you're saying that the best way to go is the full Paleolithic diet -- but that we probably aren't strong enough for that, so you're going to make it easier for us by allowing some diary and other junk on a very limited basis. But see, I've already girded my loins because I am a WARRIOR! I am productively using my anger! I'm going to be tough NOT moderate! I'm ready to make the BEST choices, not a slightly downgraded, easier version. :)

By the way, if you think people aren't comfortable making rude comments to vegetarians/vegans about their "diet of conviction/conscience" you are WILDLY mistaken. People are often incredibly antagonistic (usually under a thin veil of "humor") towards vegetarians and vegans. People feel completely free to insult and disparage my food choices even when I've made absolutely no comment about theirs.

Tryingtostayskinny 05-15-2009 08:31 PM

Thanks for the post! I'll have to add it to my list of books to get out of the library.

Glory87 05-21-2009 09:51 PM

I finally got it from the library! It's pretty amazing - there are so few books for maintaining (as opposed to the thousands of weight loss books available) kudos Barbara Berkeley!!!

So far, I find myself nodding my head a lot, and shaking my head a few times.

As someone who is carb sensitive myself, I understand there must be levels of carb sensitivity and people who are more sensitive than me should avoid more carbs than I have to. Still, when the author outlines a typical day, she insists on the near exclusion of what I consider wonderful foods like oatmeal and sweet potatoes but says 150 calories of "non fat or low fat ice cream" is okay.

I lost the weight for a lot of reasons - vanity sure, but mainly for my health. If 150 calories of fake sugar ice cream is okay, why would 200 calories of sweet potato (and all the wonderful nutrients in a sweet potato) be verboten? I could understand if the person was so sensitive they couldn't even handle a sweet potato, but if someone can handle fakey ice cream, they should be okay with a sweet potato!

Some things are so wonderful though - about making a plan, the comparisons to climbing Everest, the difference in our bodies after significant weight loss. A great book and I am really loving it (even the parts I disagree with, because I loooove to get worked up over things and think and feel and argue! :))

I definitely follow most of the main ideas. I'm a once a week weigher, not a daily weigher, but I believe in that sort of consistency. I have a "scream" weight, except I think of it as my "redline weight." I eat from a limited menu, I do like to experiment with new dinners (I love cookbooks!) but I tend to rotate the same favorites as a rule. I eat after 8 (and always have).

Whereas the author says it's okay to eat 150 calories of "treat foods" like sugar free chocolate pudding, well, I don't eat stuff like that, so I guess my 200 calories of sweet potato or brown rice or whole wheat tortillas "counts" as my daily non primarian treat foods :) I do agree that some foods trigger intense cravings in me and I avoid those (luckily, it is not beans or chickpeas or lentils or whole grain bread or any of the foods I consider WONDEFUL for me). My trigger foods are stuff like bagels, cookies, white crackers.

I do count calories and don't find it a terrible burden (although I estimate instead of count exactly these days). I eat a bigger breakfast than the author recommends, but hey - I wake up hungry :)

And most importantly - I maintain with support and support OTHERS. I need this place and all of you!!!!

Definitely recommend this book to anyone approaching/in maintenance!!!!!

rockinrobin 05-21-2009 11:50 PM

Thanks for the thorough review Glory. I will see if I can get a hold of the book. I'm very excited. Our local library has been under repair and closed for almost three years now. It's re-opening on June 11. Can't wait.

I can't do sweet potatoes either. I know how healthy they are, but unfortunately, they're like candy to me and send me over the edge. I get that horrible "powerless" feeling when I eat them. I would never advise anyone to steer clear of them, as we're all different, but I would caution folks that it just may be a "trigger" food. For that matter, I can't do FF/SF ice cream either. Ice cream, of any sort, is another food that leaves me feeling powerless.

Thighs Be Gone 05-22-2009 12:00 AM

I am going to check with our library as well.

GLORY, I loved your post and agreed with it wholeheartedly. Calorie counting with a primary focus on whole foods is paramount for me. And yes, someone posted (may have been you or Robin) about ACCOUNTABILITY & COMMUNITY being paramount in losing weight and maintaining. Again, I couldn't agree more.

I applaud the authors efforts to bring attention to a subject we seem to forget. So many efforts in the weightloss process but so little thought (it seems to me) devoted to maintenance.

size8 05-24-2009 08:49 AM

very interesting book, I particularly like "4. Reverse small gains immediately ". I usually wait until I gained about 20lbs pounds before I do anything about it so from today onwards I will practise this.