Article from April "O" Magazine

• There is an article in the April edition of "O" that made me really annoyed. It's called "Think Like a Thin Person" and the author is Barbara Graham.

The article's premise is that "in order to keep weight off, you have to learn that hunger is not an emergency." Graham talks to psychologist Judith Beck, who is pioneering this new form of cognitive behavior therapy. Beck's idea is that we all have to overcome the idea that "we cannot withstand hunger." How? By skipping a meal -- one time -- and "learning that hunger comes and goes"... which (according to Beck) will lead us to the revelation that "we never have to worry about feeling hungry again" (presumably, the reason we fat people have got weight problems is that we interpret our feelings of wild hunger to mean that we are going to die within 15 minutes).

To be honest, the connection between this revelation and losing weight or keeping it off is never spelled out even this clearly. But Beck is indubitably an expert, as Graham informs us that "...[Beck] was a veteran yo-yo dieter who lost 15 pounds ten years ago and has kept it off ever since."

OK, I'm sorry, I think I am sounding a little angry here. But this article actually did make me angry. I think it's incredibly irresponsible of the magazine to print this as if it were sound, rational advice for people struggling with an actual weight problem. It goes contrary to everything I know (from hard-won experience) about how to lose weight and keep it off -- namely, that allowing myself to get to the point of famished hunger is about the single most self-sabotaging thing I can do, whether I am losing or maintaining my weight. And it feels incredibly patronizing to me to be told that I need to "learn" that "hunger is not an emergency." As if the reason my body goes berserk when I get to that point is because I am uneducated (or, reading between the lines, because I am really just a weak/lazy person looking for any excuse to overeat) -- not because of physical forces and differences between my body and that of a woman whose credentials are that she's "lost 15 pounds." Wow.

I normally love the O magazine, but I think they made a big mistake with this one. I'm not naive enough to think that Oprah personally reads/approves every story that goes into the publication, but she of all people should be wary of foisting such obviously suspect advice on her readers who hang on her every pronouncement.
  • To Holly Annie

Beck's theory doesn't sound very scientific. Over the years, I've had many a night when I've gone to bed very hungry after eating 'normal' amounts at each meal and feeling satisfied then. But when the hunger starts up late at night - the big stomach girgling type, not the mind game wouldn't it be nice to eat kind - I have a very, very hard time getting to sleep without eating a piece of bread to calm it down.

By her theory, I should lie away to all hours of the night ignoring what my body is telling me it needs.

That's just stupid!

PS I'm really impressed with your weight loss and am looking forward to when you post your before and after photos in the Goal section. I'm hoping to do so this month.
  • Hollyannie, I hope you have sent a letter to O magazine, expressing what you have here.
  • You obviosly have more "experience" than her I think most of us here do. I agree wtih bargoo you should write a letter to the magazine expressing your opinion.
  • A whole 15 lbs! I'm glad she did manage to lose it and keep it off. However, I'd be more impressed if it had a "1" in front of that 15.

I haven't read the article. In fact, I don't buy "O" because I feel Oprah has gone in a whole nother direction and I don't feel like giving her my money.

Bargoo is right. You should send a letter. You stated it quite well.

I, too, am looking forward to you "GOAL"!!!!!! post.
  • Thanks ladies. I feel better after venting here and hearing from others who agree this premise is offensive to those of us doing the hard work of weight loss/maintenance.

As far as my pix and goal -- I need to post my story over in the maintainers introductions thread. I actually lost my 100 lbs over 10 years ago and have been maintaining ever since, but am currently back on weight loss plan to re-lose 14 lbs that I've put on in the past 18 months. (Down 5 so far!!!) As far as pix go, I do want to post some, but it is going to take a while as I need to scan some hard-copy photos in order to do this. My weight loss pre-dated digital cameras!
  • I see your point, but I would also add this. Recently I was doing a lot of flying. Usually I take healthy snacks to eat in airports & on the plane, but circumstances were such that I couldn't on this particular occasion. So there I was in the airport, everyone around me immediately heading for the BK or whatever. I was getting a bit hungry but I can't eat that sort of food, it makes me feel sick. So I was looking around, didn't want to pay a million dollars for a bag of nuts. And then I had the thought - I'll be home in four hours. I'm not going to drop dead if I don't eat during that time. So I drank a lot of water and when I got home I thawed some soup & that was fine. Maybe part of her point was to do with us being so conditioned to eat so much of the time, and getting to the point where you know if you have to wait an hour or two it'll be okay.

cheers,
    Sue
  • I agree with Bargoo, I would send them a letter.