Maintainer Introductions our stories and photos

Old 12-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #1  

Default I'm new here

Hello all--

I'm new to 3 fat chicks, but not new to maintenance. I lost 120 pounds in 2002, and have been struggling with "those last 10 pounds" since. I've read some of very enlightening and insightful posts here, and realized that I'm actually in maintenence mode. OK, it took two years to figure this out.... yeah, really swift. : ))

The thing that really spoke to me, was the realization that we are different than other people with respect to caloric consumption. I read those posts and it was like a bell went off, ie the "aha" moment. It's a mental shift from constantly feeling frustrated with myself to the realization that it's just my reality that I'm unable to eat like other people. It gave me permission to still be vigilant about my food and exercise, and to not feel like a freak when I walk away from the dessert buffet with my plate loaded with fruit (and OK a SMALL cookie treat). I've also realized that it will never be otherwise, and that it's a lifelong commitment.

Anyhow, this was a long intro for a person just trying to say HI and thanks for the insightful thoughts posted here. I admire all of you for your dedication and concern for others. I'll try and contribute whenever I feel like I can help someone else.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Boarderchick and and Maintainers! Congratulations on the 120 pounds - sounds like you and I are a lot alike! You bet that you're a maintainer, even though you'd like to lose another ten pounds (wouldn't we all? ) What really counts is keeping off those 120 pounds and if ten more pounds happen, great, but that's not really what's most important.

Here in Maintainers, we talk a lot about how we're different - how we HAVE to be different - and how it doesn't matter at all what anyone else thinks of what we do. We know what we need to do to keep the weight off for life and so we just ignore the misguided souls who so love to tell us that what we're doing is 'wrong' or (my favorite) 'obsessed'.

Please join in whenever you can or feel free to start a topic - we've got an amazing group here and always have lively and insightful discussions.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #3  

Thanks, I will.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote