Formerly a Featherweight but new to maintenance

• Hi everyone!

I've been holding steady with my weight the last two months so I guess it's official: I'm in maintenance mode. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose but started my journey four years ago. Let me explain further.

My mom died of stage 4 lung cancer that went to her brain. That woke me up once and for all; I didn't want that to be me. I was always 'skinny fat' - slender-looking but with a higher-than-normal percentage of body fat. I was always a sporadic exerciser and so-so eater. My mom's passing four years ago and the number 40 looming were my my lightbulb moments, so to speak.

I wanted to get fit and healthy, once and for all and be done with it. Trying to get into shape and lose the same 20+ lbs. was exhausting me both physically and mentally. Plus, I wanted to set a good example to my two sons, ages 9 and 6.

I had a poor body image and felt like I never measured up. Besides being skinny fat, I'm built pretty much like a twelve-year old (straight like a ruler) with boobs, lol. That didn't exactly boost my self-image. I struggled for years to accept my body the way God made it until ultimately I realized that I'd always be me BUT I could be a better version. Another lightbulb moment.

So, I embarked on this journey four years ago. My journey back to wellness was fraught with twists and turns, plenty of starts and stops until this past June I had another lightbulb moment. My diet needed tweaking in a major way.

I'd lost inches and weight with exercising but my diet was always so-so. I started a strict, clean eating plan and added running to the mix and that was the magic formula to strip the fat, particularly around my belly, off me for good. And after birthing two babies, a flat belly always seemed like a pipe dream.

I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you. Thanks for having me.
  • Welcome and comgratulations !
  • Congratulations and welcome!

When is your high school reunion? I definitely wowed my classmates at my last one-- it was my 25th as well.
  • Quote: Congratulations and welcome!

When is your high school reunion? I definitely wowed my classmates at my last one-- it was my 25th as well.

In about 2 1/2 years. I know it sounds silly to think about it now but I've never quite gotten to "maintenance mode" before so I really am in uncharted territory, so to speak. I nixed going to the twentieth a few years back b/c I was so ashamed at how I'd let myself go. Losing was easy, maintaining is going to be a bit harder, I think. Thanks for the warm welcome too.