Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #1  

Default Ketosis?!?!

I know, I know, this question has probably been brought up alot. But I was wondering if someone could give me some advice...please be gentle!

Anyhooo ~ a little history here, I started Atkins in Sept, and did really well until Thanksgiving, and then was a downward spiral through the holidays, with a weight gain of 25 #s....GAG!!!!!

When I first started in Sept, and I was using the stix, I would find that I was able to get into the darkest level of Ketosis, quite easily. Now it seems like my metabolism is all whacked....I am only getting into the medium level at this time. It is discouraging and disheartening. Have a totally messed up my metabolism by going "on and off" Atkins? Is there anyway that I can restart my metabolism back up? Any advice would really be appreciated.

And then just today I ate a no-no carb....now I feel guilty, like I am never going to get the hang of this!

Ok, someone kick me in the rear and grab me from the "pit of despair".

Back to your regularly scheduled program

Caroline
Old 01-25-2004, 04:22 PM   #2  
Baby Steps

I'm not sure how to jump start your metabolism. Maybe it takes time? I've been reading that people go "off" Atkins and have carbs and then jump right back into that WOE. And according to the Atkins book it tells you not to worry about it-just start right back up again

(I know---I wasn't much help). lol
Old 01-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #3  

Lady ~ Thank you for replying! I read that also, I guess I am just so hard on myself.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:20 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

I hear you on that one. I'm so afraid of messing up on this new WOE!!! I've been gaining steadily for some reason this past year (and seems the longer time goes on the more the weight increase goes on!) and I really want to look good and feel healthy again. It's one reason this site is so great. The people on here are so supportive. Have a problem or feel like slacking--they'll give you reasons NOT to and even try their best to help find a way around things (like my chocolate cravings). Try not to be so hard on yourself and give yourself a pat on the back for doing so well so far
Old 01-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #5  
Head Princess

Issue #1: Ketones and those strips! Here's a link to a great article on understanding the how those sticks really work and how to interpret what you find. Looking for Purple - A Guide to Ketosis Testing

Issue #2: Abject fear of screwing up. I completely understand! I was terrified that I'd do something to totally lose all the hard work I'd done. However, if we are to be successful in our battles with food, we have to learn not to fear it. Every 3 months, I go to Outback and order a baked potato with my meal. I never manage to eat even half of it, but I do eat what I want of it. I don't stuff myself and it's very enjoyable. It has not sent me into a carb binge. I have not gained back any weight. It doesn't throw me into a stall.

It would probably be a different story if I gave in to a random Cinnabon craving. There's just no healthy option there.

My point is, we have to learn a different kind of relationship with what we eat. We have to make good choices. We have to control our portions. But we do not have to live in starvation or fear.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:49 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

i was always confused about the ketosis thing and how to get it going. So basically the slow burning fat is ketosis. And just by watching the carb thing it should happen?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:56 PM   #7  
Head Princess

Yeah. Your body primarily burns carbohydrate for energy. So, when you drastically reduce the amount of carbohydrate available, your body is forced to find a new fuel source (aka - fat!) A side effect of the fat burning process is that these little ketone bodies show up in your urine and that's what you're testing for.

The darkness of the stick is really irrelevant because there are a lot of influencing factors. One of the major ones is hydration. If you're dehydrated, it will appear darker. If you're drinking lots of water, your system is getting more flushed out and so the stick may appear lighter.
Closed Thread