3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions-79/)
-   -   Atkins Vs SouthBeach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions/29149-atkins-vs-southbeach.html)

KO 06-18-2003 05:25 PM

Atkins Vs SouthBeach

Hi
presently I'm on Atkins and I do feel good great even I have no qualms not eating bread but I'm missing having as much veggies and fruit at all
is there anyone who can contrast the 2 woes for me I saw the basics of SB on prevention but honestly I can't afford the book right now to check it out
Thanks
Kierie

Ruthxxx 06-18-2003 05:30 PM

Well, I don't have the book either BUT it seems that SB limits protein to lower fat meats, allows low gycemic Index carbs and does not put you into ketosis. SOme of the chicks on the South Beach thread will no doubt pop in later and straighten us both out.

Oh, and welcome to the Low Carb Forum. It's a good place to hang out.

TwiceBlessed 06-18-2003 05:42 PM

Some differences I noticed

I have the book. What I noticed:

Similarities - two week induction, no fruit, lots of water, plenty of veggies (certain list), no dairy, no sugar.

Differences - With SB, you eat lo-fat cheese, margarine, FF half and half. They feel the carb count is not high with lo-fat dairy. With Atkins, they have you eating butter, cream, whole milk. There is also 3 phases with SB (induction, weightloss - intro. some carbs, maintenance - more carbs). Atkins has 4 phases I believe. SB lets you have apsartame jello and pudding as well.

What is nice about SB is that they outline menus for each phase which I like for the first two weeks. With Atkins, I poked around to find menus people developed.

I like the lo-fat approach to SB although a nutritionist friend of mine told me to avoid margarine - stick to olive oil, butter in small measures. The book does not go as in dept to the why it works as Atkins does (he is more scientific).

I am doing Atkins now just because it seems to have been around longer. I am trying to watch my dairy - especially my cheese. I do eat part skim mozerella stix.

That is what I have found. There are websites for both. I bought SB at the book store because I had a credit but its also on half.com and I'll bet you can get some gently used ones on amazon (I typically buy books that way there).

Hope that helps - sorry this is so long....Cheers...Sue

KO 06-23-2003 03:32 PM

Thanks I think i'm goign to stick with Atkins and see if I'm reallycraving bread I can find a high fiber one that has low net carbs but for now color methe meat and veggie queen

skymom 06-23-2003 06:30 PM

Actually, SB stresses healthy fats (olive oil, canola oil) and healthy carbs (low GI).

In fact Sue, I don't think it endorses the use of margarine due to their composition of hydrogenated oils, which is discouraged.

SkyMom

dentrassi 06-24-2003 12:17 AM

Yup! The only margarine he okays is Smart Spread (I THINK that is the name!!) He is VERY anti-trans fat. He does say somewhere in the book that butter is better than Margarine but try to stick to olive or canola oils.

dyan_q 06-24-2003 09:40 AM

KO - DH and I eat low carb bread from Nature's Own. It's as good as regular bread, and only 5 gms of carbs. It has alot of fiber, and I think it might also have soy protien added. The best part is that we get it at Wal-mart for 1.68.

MN_chick 06-24-2003 11:04 AM

KO,

If you'd like to read a snippet of the SB plan, go to
http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...0,5345,00.html

Prevention Magazine had this article in the May, 2003 issue. It explains the plan, with a sample menu for each phase with recipes.

Best wishes,

herb1985 06-24-2003 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by KO
Thanks I think i'm goign to stick with Atkins and see if I'm reallycraving bread I can find a high fiber one that has low net carbs but for now color methe meat and veggie queen
I been on the Atkins diet now for 92 days.I missed the bread also,but now im not missing it as much.I think this is my diet plan for a long time to come.I got my physical last week Im a1 okie doakie lol.Keep up the great work.

Leenie 07-07-2003 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by skymom
Actually, SB stresses healthy fats (olive oil, canola oil) and healthy carbs (low GI).

In fact Sue, I don't think it endorses the use of margarine due to their composition of hydrogenated oils, which is discouraged.

SkyMom

I AGREE !! that stuff will do more harm than good, did you know it takes your body sooooooo much longer to break margarine down then it does butter because of the chemicals thats in it.

Its the same for fat free and reduced fat items, you really need to watch out for this stuff.

Have you ever noticed since the food industry came out with all these "diet" foods since the 1970's we are the heaviest we've ever been....... makes yah think huh.

meg 1+2 07-08-2003 06:48 PM

Hey Leenie!!!! Just wanted to say hello!!!

Hope you and the family and sweet little Gracie are well! I had stopped coming to fatchicks until I found that they started this SBD thread. So nice to have the support of everyone while I am reclaiming my life!!!

Take care!!!

Meg

P.S. Another son getting married next May!!! :yikes: here I go again with the dress hunt!!!!!!!!!

2BFIT1 07-08-2003 08:26 PM

I'm just curious~~~why was this thread made into a "sticky" and not a regular thread? :chin:

Suzanne 3FC 07-08-2003 10:02 PM

Ruth stuck it for a while because it's a common question, so this will make it easy to find :)

Ruthxxx 07-08-2003 10:09 PM

Sil, it was over in Low Carb so I copied it over as to answer a question. It's really not for posting. Just for info. Maybe it should be in FAQ?

2BFIT1 07-09-2003 08:52 AM

That makes sense, thanks :o