3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions-79/)
-   -   ATkins Low Carb bars (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions/27548-atkins-low-carb-bars.html)

JudoMom 05-11-2003 09:50 PM

ATkins Low Carb bars

Hi everyone,

My daughter and I are going to begin Atkins on Tuesday (this mom needs to go low carb shopping first). I saw some ATkins bars in the health food store, but I can't figure something out. I wonder if someone can help me.

It says on the front of the bar (in big letters) 2G (which I'm assuming means 2 grams of carbs). BUT, on the back, where the nutritional info is, it says 19-22 grams (depending on the flavour). I also looked up the info at the Atkins site, and it's saying the same thing!

Can someone please help me figure out what's going on? Induction only allows 20 grams of carbs all day, so I don't want to mess the two of us up!

Thanks!

Ruthxxx 05-12-2003 08:08 AM

Well, on induction, the bars are not a good idea! They may seem handy bot do slow weightloss for some people.

The bars are showing NET carbs on the front - that is the actual carbs after the fiber has been subtracted.

You will get your 20 carbs on induction from veggies and from cheese and eggs. Remember that even a single egg has carbs. Also remember that something labelled 0 carbs can actually have .9 so 10 of that item could be sneaking 9 carbs into your plan.

Good luck on Induction. Personally I would not bother with the Atkins bars or shakes. Real and simple food is better.

nasus40 05-12-2003 08:52 AM

Hi fellow fluffy memeber!! :lol: I will say that using the low carb bars IN AN EMERGENCY is not a bad thing, but best not to depend on them it can keep the cravings for sweet things going so when you are at a difficult time you will cave.

JudoMom 05-12-2003 05:56 PM

Thanks ladies. We leave the house about 7:30 am and don't often get home til near 6 pm. I have read that the bars are not good for Induction, nor for some people even afterward. But, I want them handy for emergencies.

I do plan to pack good snacks for us both. Our busy lifestyle will be a challenge alone, but we're both very optimistic and enthusiastic at the moment.

Thanks again :)

herb1985 06-13-2003 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ruthxxx
Well, on induction, the bars are not a good idea! They may seem handy bot do slow weightloss for some people.

The bars are showing NET carbs on the front - that is the actual carbs after the fiber has been subtracted.

You will get your 20 carbs on induction from veggies and from cheese and eggs. Remember that even a single egg has carbs. Also remember that something labelled 0 carbs can actually have .9 so 10 of that item could be sneaking 9 carbs into your plan.

Good luck on Induction. Personally I would not bother with the Atkins bars or shakes. Real and simple food is better.

How many carbs in an egg .I thought eggs hjad zero not that i eat alot of em but would like to know im real strict i write down all i eat and keep track to the t.

Ruthxxx 06-13-2003 03:18 PM

Sorry I missed this on my cruise through this morning.

An egg is just under a carb. Fitday counts it as a whole carb It's a great place for tracking stuff and it's free.

www.fitday.com

ScooterDeb 06-26-2003 02:36 PM

Why would they stall induction if they are supposed to be 2 g of carbs. Just curious.

nasus40 06-26-2003 05:37 PM

Several reasons the same ones that when you walk past a bakery your mouth starts watering, or you start to crave the sweets. it is a responce that you really have no control over. your body tastes the sweets and it can stall you by releasing aa surge of insulin. It is also known that some people are very sensative to them and even though it states only 2 grams of carbs it is actually many more but it is the impact carbs (the ones that cause insuln surges) but what about the ohters??? some people are sensative enough that even though for most people they do not cause a surge, on those sensative ones it will.