3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions-79/)
-   -   Question...Protein/carb ratio? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions/27431-question-protein-carb-ratio.html)

katrinabgood 05-07-2003 12:09 PM

Question...Protein/carb ratio?

Can someone tell me...what is the ratio of protein to carbs to strive for? I'm keeping track of my food on fitday.com, and BOY!...it doesn't take long for that carb part of the pie chart to fill up!!! (Love that visual aid!)

I'm trying to go low carb (again). I love how I feel when i do...so you may be seeing me popping in from time to time, seeking advice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ruthxxx 05-07-2003 03:51 PM

I believe fitday does a recommended carb to protein ratio. Of course, it's based on the Food Rules so really doesn't work for low carbers!

katrinabgood 05-07-2003 04:32 PM

I guess my question would then be, for low carbers, how many grams of carbs/day do you limit yourself to?

nasus40 05-08-2003 09:23 PM

I strive for less than 50. you may just go wow andthink I am crazy but when you eat meats and vegies and stiff like that there are little carbs to add.

katrinabgood 05-08-2003 11:59 PM

Thanks, Sue! No, I don't think you're crazy! Judging by your stats, you're doing something right!!

I just double checked my food for the day on fitday...Here i thought I was doing reasonably well and I've got 100 gms of carbs in!! (Well, I knew that those mashed potatoes would be trouble!) No taters tomorrow!

I have always either followed WW or some kind of "low fat" type diet. It's a bit of a challenge switching over, but after two relatively good days of low carbing, I feel good. I'm not hungry and not craving.

So, thank you again~

See ya, I'll be lurking!

BittenKitten 06-11-2003 12:36 PM

I'm on a kind of a low-carb diet - it's the 40/30/30 formula, where you get 40% of your calories from protein (NOT an easy thing to do), 30% from carbs and 30% from fat. I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet, but I'm trying!

nasus40 06-11-2003 04:41 PM

Tuna and lean meats will add up nicely!!! get a salad and add extra meats to it and YUMMM and great filler too.

Froufy 06-11-2003 08:17 PM

ATKINS?

If you are following Atkins you should only consume 20 grams per day for the first two weeks (induction period). The ratios to strive for are 65%fat/35% protein/5% carbs (and you can get this info on fitday).

More info on atkins can be found at: www.atkinscenter.com

Good luck!

Froufy:cool:

katrinabgood 06-12-2003 08:57 AM

Thanks, kids! I appreciate your help!

...now, can anyone just do this for me?

heh heh...

:)