Old 03-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #1  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

Default ??? Low Carb Help?

If i want to do low cal low carb is that ok?

and how do i know how many carbs to eat???

im new and i need some info to low carbing. thank you!
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Are you looking to do a specific low carb diet? Have you seen a low carb diet that interests you?

Many of us find we lose better doing low carb then just calorie counting. I know it works very well for me. I currently do Atkins because I like how the diet is structured. I eat 20 net carbs a day (carbs - fiber content in food).

Most low carb diets consist of lots of meat and veggies and depending on the diet maybe some cheese or some dairy products as well. A few of them are meant to be high fat as well so your using things like olive oil and real butter (like with Atkins). Your questions are too broad for me to give you any specific advice. I would pick a diet and read up on it and be sure you can follow through first.

Just remember, fat doesn't make you fat Healthy fats are great for you!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #3  
HijabiMommaBear

well i just dont know how many carbs i should eat a day and i dont know where to go for info. do you know any websites with good info? and a little bit of structure for like my age body weight and stuff? i want to learn more about carb counting basically. thank you!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #4  
The Future is Bright!

Diets range from less than 20 grams a day to less than 60 grams a day.

Personally, I don't count carbs at all - I just abstain from Sugar, Wheat, Rice, Corn, Potatoes, Carrots, Beets, Fruit, Beans and other things that are high in carbs. I've still gotten all the benefits of low-carb without stressing over numbers and keeping logs.

If you do low-carb, make sure to eat whenever you are hungry and until you are no longer hungry - meat and vegetables are so filling it's very likely you'll end up eating far fewer calories than you would normally just doing that. Also, make sure you take in enough salt and fat. Red meat is good, so is bacon as long as you can get it without any added sugar.

Last edited by Chain; 03-21-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #5  
HijabiMommaBear

oh ok cool thank you!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

Good questions. I'm also learning and studying about low-carb. I've ordered the Atkins book, so I can read more about it. With the induction and with all carb-counting, do we count net carbs? And net carbs are carbs minus fiber? This is the part that's mixing me up. Do we take the carbs and subtract the amount of fiber? Thanks for any replies!
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriLeah View Post
Good questions. I'm also learning and studying about low-carb. I've ordered the Atkins book, so I can read more about it. With the induction and with all carb-counting, do we count net carbs? And net carbs are carbs minus fiber? This is the part that's mixing me up. Do we take the carbs and subtract the amount of fiber? Thanks for any replies!
Atkins Induction is 20 net carbs per day with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.
Net carbs are total carbs minus dietary fiber. For example, if a food has 4 total carbs and 2 grams of dietary fiber, it would be 2 net carbs.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

Thanks, that's what I thought but wanted to be sure.
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote