3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions-79/)
-   -   Tofu Question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-frequently-asked-questions/23863-tofu-question.html)

Leenie 01-16-2003 10:17 AM

Tofu Question

Is tofu (soy) considered a protein ? carb ? both ?
If you are on a low carb diet, is tofu a good thing to eat (carb wise) or should you really avoid it ?

Leens :chef:

Ruthxxx 01-16-2003 11:19 AM

If you MUST eat the terrible stuff :lol:, it is OK on low carb. A slice of firm tofu has 1.6 carbs and 6.22 protein according to fitday.
Personally, I'd rather eat kitty litter. :D

Leenie 01-16-2003 01:31 PM

It can be pretty nasty stuff if your not careful, kinda like wall paper paste (not that I go around tasting wall paper paste).

I was watching the cooking channel and the show 911 was on. He made eggless eggsalad w/that stuff, its a good idea for people on low carb who are watching their egg intake BUT there is egg's in mayo.

Hubby said ohhh lets try that, I told him if HE wants to make it then I'll get out of the kitchen :lol:

Egg salad w/out the eggs, I just don't know (barf).

Jenn4Jesus 01-24-2003 11:54 PM

Okay.. I have to come to the defense of soy... If it is cooked right..which really isn't that hard to do... it will absorb whatever flavors you cook it with. For example... while I am low carbing I want to eat some Lasagna... Who wouldn't right? Instead of using the noodles you can slice the tofu long ways and made a "noodle" out of it. If you use Groundbeef, a little seasoning and a bit of onion (not too much cause it does have carbs) add your cheese and a low carb tomato sauce... and whalla.... it tastes just like the blend of other ingredients. If you are looking for eating it raw in a salad... you may want to "stir fry" it in some soy sauce, butter, sesame oil or with some onion and then douse the salad with it...

Sean 04-10-2003 01:28 PM

Dredging up an old thread here, but I'll chime in. You can find zero carb tofu in the Earthie crunchie section of your grocery store. As pointed out above, tofu by itself tastes like paste and, when uncooked, has the consistency of it as well. ;)

If you're a hot sauce fanatic, I've found that cooking up ground beef with zero carb (no sugar added) hot sauce makes great taco meat. Drain the excess fat, then cook up thin sliced zero carb tofu in the same pan, add even more hot sauce and spices and then use the tofu as the "chips" for your taco salad.

Add cheese and the allowed amount of lettuce and onions and you're set!

RobinW 04-10-2003 05:53 PM

Sean, does the tofu get crunchy?? or just firm?

Sean 04-10-2003 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RobinH
Sean, does the tofu get crunchy?? or just firm?
Of the few times I've prepared it it's just gotten firm...I want it to get crunchy, so I'll try a few other ways to prepare it. :D

RobinW 04-11-2003 09:05 AM

Ok, thanks........I'll give it a try!