Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #1  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Default low carb yogourt?

I read that yogourt is ok for lowcarb diets because of the way they calculate carbs (they take everything thats not a carb and subtract it and whats ever left is counted as carbs) but in yogourt the bacteria uses the carbs to grow so the actual carb count is less than what is listed on the package. Has anyone else heard this? Think it's true? Any one else eat yogourt on atkins? I bought some organic yogourt it has milk ingr. and bacterial culture. Non of the gellatine and other thing in regular yogourt.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Most yogurts...including plain...is high in sugar. I eat the Dannon Light & Fit Low Sugar/Low Carb yogurt, its 3 carbs per serving & has 2 grms sugar (made with Splenda). I've been eating this over a year now and it has not stalled my weight loss.

As far as not counting the actual carbs on the yogurt container, I believe you are referring to this:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-12-2007 at 07:13 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I eat the Dannon Light & Fit Low Sugar/Low Carb yogurt, its 3 carbs per serving & has 2 grms sugar (made with Splenda).

me too, I love that stuff, wonderfully creamy. If you arent on induction and are allowed a few more carbs in your day, mix this yogurt with equal parts cottage cheese to make a meal, and have added protein.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #4  
Hello Friend

Jerseygrl, Thanks for the link that is what I meant. I will look for that Dannon kind next time I go shopping. I dont' think safeway carries it I looked for any that said lowcarb but coulbn't find any, so I'll have to go elsewhere.
I did buy one with no sugar or starch added, It only contains milk ing. and bacteria. so I'll use it sparingly till I know how it effects me.
Thanks for your responses.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Be sure to read the labels...for example, Dannon All Natural Plain contains 12 grams sugar per 8 oz serving! Even those that say "no sugar added" tend to be high.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #6  

The sugar in no-sugar-added yogurts is lactose. It part of the milk. It's not what you're limiting when you're trying to eat lower-carb or lower-sugar.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
The sugar in no-sugar-added yogurts is lactose. It part of the milk. It's not what you're limiting when you're trying to eat lower-carb or lower-sugar.
Being lactose intolerant, I tend to avoid most yogurt although....I've had no issues with the Dannon Light & Fit Low Carb/Low Sugar type or with greek yogurt, which I only eat occasionally.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I get my Dannon Light and Fit at Safeway, and I have been to more than one Safeway and always found Dannon Light and Fit. I eat it every day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #9  
Hello Friend

thanks, I will look again next time I go, mabee they were out. I have been eating about a third of a cup of the stuff I bought, O Organics, plain yogourt for the past 3 days and am still loosing. so it seems to be ok. Is the dannon stuff flavored? what do you eat it with? I have been mixing mine with the carb free chocolate syrope from walden farms and it is soooooo Good.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

The Dannon Light & Fit Low Carb/Low Sugar yogurt comes in 5 flavors - Peaches & Cream, Raspberries & Cream, Strawberries & Cream, Blueberries & Cream, Vanilla Cream. My grocery store only carries the Strawberry and the Vanilla. I usually mix the vanilla with English Toffee DaVinci's and some chopped almonds or walnuts. It's Yum-o!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I buy the Dannon all natural yogurt plain. I have no problems with stalling on it. I count the 4 net carbs per cup instead of the whole carb count - per the go diet. Dana Carpender also backs this up. I don't buy the other stuff - low carb or not - lots of it just ain't yogurt - it's got lots of stuff added in. Especially the not low carb stuff - they add food starch and more - I thought yogurt was yogurt until I started reading packages. Also, Sour Cream ain't just sour cream. I look for the DAisy Pure & Natural sour cream - it's actually JUST sour cream.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

When I want an occasional endulgance, I treat myself to Fage Greek yogurt. That stuff is pure heaven!! Strained yogurt made from grade pasteurized milk & cream & live, active yogurt cultures. The 5.3 oz container has 5 carbs & 5 gr sugar. Very rich, very thick, very creamy.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Be sure to read the labels...for example, Dannon All Natural Plain contains 12 grams sugar per 8 oz serving! Even those that say "no sugar added" tend to be high.
Yep...same thing goes for any "low fat" or "reduced fat" products. They tend to make up the taste with extra sugars. Eat carefully
RunnerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/179/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
When I want an occasional endulgance, I treat myself to Fage Greek yogurt. That stuff is pure heaven!! Strained yogurt made from grade pasteurized milk & cream & live, active yogurt cultures. The 5.3 oz container has 5 carbs & 5 gr sugar. Very rich, very thick, very creamy.
I second the Fage Greek yogurt rave, I eat the total 0% - not because I'm cutting fat particularly, but I prefer the texture, and the protein content is slightly higher. It's as basic as yogurt can get - just milk and bacterial culture, and so good.
I eat about 1/2 cup at a time usually with some chopped nuts, it's 60 calories, 10 grams of protein, and 4.5 grams of carbs.
Yum.
Amma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 196.8/196.8/132

Height: 5' 6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amma View Post
I second the Fage Greek yogurt rave, I eat the total 0% - not because I'm cutting fat particularly, but I prefer the texture, and the protein content is slightly higher. It's as basic as yogurt can get - just milk and bacterial culture, and so good.
I eat about 1/2 cup at a time usually with some chopped nuts, it's 60 calories, 10 grams of protein, and 4.5 grams of carbs.
Yum.
guess this is something i'm gonna have to check out. thanks for the tip, ladies!
carrieanne is offline   Reply With Quote