Old 04-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #1  
LLV

Default How many grams in carbs do you eat per day?

I just went through my fitday logs and noticed I'm eating between 100-150 grams of carbs per day. I'm thinking this may be a little too much and quite possibly why my weight loss has stalled (actually it's gone up a few pounds as of late from adding in more calories to maintain). So I need to drop back again and was thinking of backing off of the carb calories as well. Thought maybe that would help get my weight back down.

So I was wondering, what would you consider to be high carb? Am I eating too many? What does everyone here shoot for in grams?

Thanks!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I just celebrated 3 years on Atkins. My carbs per day are between 25-30. Mainly vegetables & salad.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #3  

Well, I am on day 6 of induction and have no ideal. I do not log anywhere. However, I do read everything to make sure no carbs or very little and if there are any carbs in it, I limit it to a small serving. I just don't eat anything not on adkins. I have lost only 2# so far which I think is because the ketosis has not yet curbed my appetite and I think I am eating too much cheese (have slowed down considerably on this). Maybe next week I will lose more.
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #4  

By the way, your weight loss is impressive. I don't know how you have been eating, but most of the major holidays are gone that sell candy and junk for them, so this time of year is easier as we can always take a salad to a BBQ and ask that they not marinade or put sauce on any of our meat.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I just celebrated 3 years on Atkins. My carbs per day are between 25-30. Mainly vegetables & salad.
Oh my gosh, I know I could never eat that little of carbs, LOL. I'd go bananas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemylife View Post
By the way, your weight loss is impressive. I don't know how you have been eating, but most of the major holidays are gone that sell candy and junk for them, so this time of year is easier as we can always take a salad to a BBQ and ask that they not marinade or put sauce on any of our meat.
I've never really counted carbs. Your body NEEDS a certain amount and I think Atkins induction is way too low. However, I sometimes think I eat a little too many of them.

But everyone is different, whatever works for them!

Thanks for the compliment
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

LLV, after switching from Atkins to Calorie Counting about 4 months ago, I try to stay at 50-75 carbs per day. I almost always have Oats or Whole Wheat Pancakes with SF syrup for breakfast. I try to have salad with grilled meat for lunch on most days. Then I have grilled or broiled meat, salad and green veggies for dinner. Snack is usually fruit. Even though I'm no longer really doing Atkins, it helps me to keep my carbs at the lower range.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
LLV, after switching from Atkins to Calorie Counting about 4 months ago, I try to stay at 50-75 carbs per day. I almost always have Oats or Whole Wheat Pancakes with SF syrup for breakfast. I try to have salad with grilled meat for lunch on most days. Then I have grilled or broiled meat, salad and green veggies for dinner. Snack is usually fruit. Even though I'm no longer really doing Atkins, it helps me to keep my carbs at the lower range.
I think that's a very good idea. The last couple of days I've been eating about 80-90 grams of carbs per day. I suppose that's a little better than 150. And when I looked at why my carbs were that high, it's because I was eating things like English Muffins, buns for sandwiches, tortillas, that sort of thing. I eat a lot of pita bread and that's always the whole wheat. But I was slipping back into some white bread habits there for a while. So it's not really that I need to worry about fewer carbs, I just need to make sure my carbs are of better quality, rather than white breads. Like one day most of my carbs came from whole wheat pita bread and lima beans, which was good.

But white breads and muffins and all that? I need to back off of that stuff.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

LLV,
You are correct, everyone is different. I eat mainly veggies & salad. For me, keeping my carbs between 25-30 has worked very well. I've completely cut out bread, potato's, rice, pasta, sugar, caffeine and although Atkins allows it, I limit cheese to probably less than 1 oz a day (I found it stalls me). I drink a lot of water...128 oz a day. I try to avoid snacks. I realize everyone is not this strict but...it works for me!!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #9  

Jerseygyrl, when you say 20-30 a day, do you count the cheese and salad dressing into that count?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
LLV,
You are correct, everyone is different. I eat mainly veggies & salad. For me, keeping my carbs between 25-30 has worked very well. I've completely cut out bread, potato's, rice, pasta, sugar, caffeine and although Atkins allows it, I limit cheese to probably less than 1 oz a day (I found it stalls me). I drink a lot of water...128 oz a day. I try to avoid snacks. I realize everyone is not this strict but...it works for me!!
That's right, it's whatever works for you

As long as you don't feel you're depriving yourself. I definitely couldn't do that. And I'll admit, there's no way I could live without pasta and potatoes. Rice? Meh, you can have it. And I really don't eat potatoes all that often. Not white potatoes, anyway. I eat a lot of sweet potatoes. But live without pasta? Eeeek! I'd end up in a straight jacket!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemylife View Post
Jerseygyrl, when you say 20-30 a day, do you count the cheese and salad dressing into that count?

Absolutely! I don't eat much cheese..just a small pinch of shredded mozzarella or cheddar on my salad. I use Ranch dressing that is 1 carb for 2 Tablespoons.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
But live without pasta? Eeeek! I'd end up in a straight jacket!
Funny thing is...I'm Italian and I've never really cared much for pasta! Give me spaghetti squash with low carb alfredo sauce...Yummo!!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

LLV, I still use the low-carb whole wheat tortillas and occasionally have some wheat bread. I got so used to not eating bread that it really doesn't bother me much. My wt. seems to do best when I eat fewer carbs and more protein as it keeps me full longer. But, I do need the wheat because of the problem I have with my tummy. My breakfast is the main difference in how I eat now. Plus, I eat liberally of most any kind of fruit. I've had wheat pasta a couple of times, but not very often. I prefer sweet potatoes over white potatoes. I still limit peas, corn, rice and almost never have any sugar or white flour. After all the cheese that I ate when I was on Atkins, I've found that I can live without it for now. Someday I might want cheese or eggs again, but not now.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Funny thing is...I'm Italian and I've never really cared much for pasta! Give me spaghetti squash with low carb alfredo sauce...Yummo!!!!!
Mmmmmmmm, spaghetti squash. I love that stuff.

Quote:
LLV, I still use the low-carb whole wheat tortillas
I tried those and didn't like them. I didn't like the texture. So when I have a tortilla (I like wrapping veggies and stuff up in them), which really isn't all that often, I just have a regular flour tortilla.

Quote:
I prefer sweet potatoes over white potatoes.
Actually, I do, too. In fact I'm having one for lunch today.

Quote:
I still limit peas, corn, rice and almost never have any sugar or white flour. After all the cheese that I ate when I was on Atkins, I've found that I can live without it for now. Someday I might want cheese or eggs again, but not now.
Yes, I imagine one would get a little burned out on something if they ate it too often. I know I've burned myself out on a few foods as well.

To this day I can't look at a carrot stick, LOL.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #15  
Dieting Diva

My average carbs per day have been between 90-103 for the past three months. April was a slow month on the scale and that is when I had the higher average.
My big carb sin is a low fat granola bar. It's around 100 calories, has a slight drizzle of chocolate and 22 carbs. It's my little something to eat when I miss eating chocolate or a sweet.
I also eat grapefruit and yogurt which have about 20 carbs.
I don't miss bread either, it also went with butter which really made me fat.
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote