Old 03-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Would love your low-carb ideas

I've been stuck at the same weight (fluctuating between 133 and 135 pounds) for like FOREVER. I realize the last few pounds are the hardest to get off and I also know that changing your meal plans can 'shake' things up a bit and I was thinking of reducing (although not completely eliminating) carbs for a while.

So what does everyone here do for tasty low-carb meals and snacks? I'd love to hear some ideas
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Linda,

My suggestion is to keep eating what you have been eating, except cut out any breads, pastas, sugar/sweeteners. Up your protein and veggies.

I think I remember seeing your before and after photos, and (if its you Im thinking of) you look great.

I wouldnt suggest going "Atkins" if you have been eating low fat, lower calorie. Atkins will just add the fats you had taken away and gotten used to not eating.

But do eat lower carb with your fat intake about the same except for the fat content you get in your protein.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #3  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
Hi Linda,

My suggestion is to keep eating what you have been eating, except cut out any breads, pastas, sugar/sweeteners. Up your protein and veggies.

I think I remember seeing your before and after photos, and (if its you Im thinking of) you look great.
Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
I wouldnt suggest going "Atkins" if you have been eating low fat, lower calorie. Atkins will just add the fats you had taken away and gotten used to not eating.
Oh no no, I don't want to do that. I eat healthy 95% of the time and watch fats very carefully. And I don't want to start any particular diet (I personally don't believe in diets) but your suggestion is a good one, I need to cut back on breads and pastas. Most of the bread I eat is whole grain and usually the only time I eat pasta is when it's included in one of my Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice meals. But I do need to cut back on both.

I'll admit I love bread and eat it frequently. Wheat muffins, wheat pitas, tortillas, etc. So it's not that I don't eat BAD carbs, I just need to cut back on them. So I was wondering what all of you low-carbers do to make your meals a little more exciting.

I love lean meats and veggies!

Also, another question, how many grams of carbs do you all shoot for per day?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Ok, my opinion is decidedly biased, because I have been within 5 lbs of goal only once in my life at 155 lbs. in highschool (I was there like five minutes before my doctor lowered my goal from 150 to 140 lbs, and I unfortunately went off my diet that day because I was sure I would never be able to make it to 140).

You can not believe how much I regret, not keeping my goal at 150, or even changing it to 155 (I had been struggling to get under 160 for months and months) to give me a taste of victory before deciding if I really needed or wanted to lose more.

Anyway, my opinion is that if you can look in the mirror and say, "I wouldn't feel the need to change a thing, if the scale read 130 instead of 133/135" then you ARE at goal (or should be).

Personally, I think "goal weight," should be a range (maybe for you that 125 - 130, but maybe it's 130 - 135) rather than a single point, at least I know that's how it's going to have to be for me, otherwise I'm going to feel "great" at 149, and terrible at 151, and no one but me is going to see a difference between the two.

Even if you ultimately decide to try to lose "a little more," maybe some time practicing at "being at goal," will help you determine if you really need to lose more, or if it's "magic number" thinking.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:57 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Personally, I think "goal weight," should be a range (maybe for you that 125 - 130, but maybe it's 130 - 135) rather than a single point, at least I know that's how it's going to have to be for me, otherwise I'm going to feel "great" at 149, and terrible at 151, and no one but me is going to see a difference between the two.
Oh, I agree, a weight goal should never be a single number or you'll drive yourself crazy trying to get there. I give myself a range. 130-135 is where I'd like to stay.

And it just occurred to me that's where I am.

Duh????????

OK, slap in the face taken, LOL.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:18 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

For some of the best low carb recipes on the web, have a look here:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

All the best to you!!

Kim

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
For some of the best low carb recipes on the web, have a look here:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

All the best to you!!

Kim

Thank you, Kim, it's appreciated
Old 03-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #8  
LLV

That site is wonderful! Most of the recipes have pictures as well and I'm a very visual creature. I won't even buy cookbooks unless every single recipe has a picture to go with it, LOL.

Thanks again for the site, I've already started a grocery list. Since I eat very low fat, I'll be doing quite a bit of substituting (for the butter and the cheese, mostly) but the veggie recipes look great as well. I've GOT to make that broccoli and bok choy dish!