Old 09-26-2001, 02:28 PM   #1  
ZAN

Default Exercise and Why so important!

There are many reasons for not doing exercise, you don't have time, you don't like it, muscles hurt but it is so important to do something.

I have started with a mini trampoline or rebounder . Its great I feel like a kid and the benefits are great.

Here is a little something I read, so get moving!

Top Ten Reasons People Exercise:

Percent of participants of fitness activities age 18 and older who said the goal was somewhat to very important. females are the top answer, men the last

Females

Males

Improve self-esteem 76.2%

Time for self 75.3%

Enjoy exercise 77.9%

Keep flexibility 75.6%

Time for self 79.3%

Enjoy exercise 76.1%

Reduce stress 80.5%

Build strength 76.5%

(tie) Keep flexibility 81.3%

Reduce Stress 77.1%

(tie) Cardiovascular benefits 81.3%

Feeling good after 81.7%

Muscle tone 84.3%

Weight control 81.8%

Increased energy 86.0%

Cardiovascular benefits 81.9%

Feeling good after 86.6%

Increased energy 83.0%

Most cited reason for exercise, females:

"Weight control!" 87.5%

Most cited reason for exercise, males:

"Muscle tone!" 84.7%

Source: Fitness Products Council/IHRSA/American Sports Data, Inc., Reprinted in SGMA?s "Tracking the fitness movement" reports.

Top Ten Reasons People Do Not Exercise!

Apathy! /"Don?t care to."

Lack of understanding of the benefits/"Low priority."

Embarrassment/Social discomfort

Injury/Health problems/Chronic physical discomfort

"Boredom!"/Lack of variety

Distance/Inconvenience

Expense of equipment, clothes, memberships

Discouraging/?Not enjoyable."/Bad experience with delayed onset muscle soreness ("DOMS")

No energy/?I?m too tired."/Lack of discipline/"Too hard? there?s got to be an easier way!"

Number one excuse: "No time in my busy schedule!"

Okay , anyone relate?

I now bounce around while watching tv, and the thing cost me $42 bucks, my kids jump on it, no special clothes. And if I don't have time to do all at once, I do a bit here and there. And did you know that 5-8 minutes of bouncing equals a mile of jogging, and that this is 68% more, more effective than a treadmill.

okay done my info -mercial

Wanted to share

Suzanne
Old 09-26-2001, 08:45 PM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Suzanne let me add to the list of reasons to exercise

-to increase metabolism -that will increase your fat loss, increase your energy, allow less problems when you fluxuate in your eating habbits

-exercise releases a hormone called GSH (growth stimulating hormone) this hormone is the reason that young kids can eat so much ans still stay slim. we have had markedly decresed production of the hormone but physical exercise especially (weight training) will cause the increased production. why di i want this??? it helps us sleep better, it helps us with our skin tone (not as many wrinkles or flabby skin) it helps us burn the callories that we take in by stimulating the muscle growth which will increase our metabolism.

-to shape us. so we are not saggy when we lose the weight

- mood elevation

just to name a few.

thanks for the thread Suzanne i needed to refresh my mind on why i am going to the gym.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:27 AM   #3  

Default Another reason

OK Nasus, you're so smart.
I thought I could be a "smart chick" on this one being the owner of 11/2 Curves (#2 opening Oct. 22nd!!!!)

I can only ad one more thing to that:
As we get older our bones get more brittle and we get more clumsey If we build muscle now (or even when we're "older") it helps our balance and control as well as cushion the bones beneath the muscle so if we fall we don't break as easily.
And for those of you asking, No, FAT does not cushion as well as lean muscle tissue!