Old 01-22-2004, 03:50 PM   #1  

Default Your opinion on how I'm doing

I am following a low-carb way of eating. I'm doing it on my own, though, I guess. I'm kind of doing a mix of Atkins and South Beach, I guess. Like, I'm not eating ANY starches of any kind right now, but am eating at least one fruit a day and lots of veggies (probably three cups or so). No sugar, but here is a sample menu:

B:
Decaf coffee with cream and splenda
1 svg. egg beaters with 2 slices american cheese (low fat)
2 healthy choice turkey sausage links

Snack:
Celery with peanut butter
apple

Lunch:
a salad with chicken or left over meat from dinner the night before

dinner
an atkins recipe usually with vegetables

snack:
ricotta cheese dessert made with sugar free, fat free pudding,
or skim milk and fruit, depends on what I feel like at the moment.

I'm not eating any potatoes, only a limited amount of carrots, maybe one whole carrot a week, no breads, no pastas, no rice, unless it's Atkins approved, no sugar.

Hoping that this is okay. What is your opinion?
Old 01-23-2004, 12:18 AM   #2  
Slimwithin

Welcome WeightyLady
I guess the true test of your combo diet is whether or not it's working for you. There are a lot of people who hang around here who have come up with their own version of one diet or another. If you lose weight and are feeling good, then obviously it's working.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:09 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by weightylady
I am following a low-carb way of eating. I'm doing it on my own, though, I guess. I'm kind of doing a mix of Atkins and South Beach, I guess. Like, I'm not eating ANY starches of any kind right now, but am eating at least one fruit a day and lots of veggies (probably three cups or so). No sugar, but here is a sample menu:

B:
Decaf coffee with cream and splenda
1 svg. egg beaters with 2 slices american cheese (low fat)
2 healthy choice turkey sausage links

Snack:
Celery with peanut butter
apple

Lunch:
a salad with chicken or left over meat from dinner the night before

dinner
an atkins recipe usually with vegetables

snack:
ricotta cheese dessert made with sugar free, fat free pudding,
or skim milk and fruit, depends on what I feel like at the moment.

I'm not eating any potatoes, only a limited amount of carrots, maybe one whole carrot a week, no breads, no pastas, no rice, unless it's Atkins approved, no sugar.

Hoping that this is okay. What is your opinion?
Hey WeightLady. Sounds like you are doing very well. I am doing my own low-carb kind of thing too. I did have a huge bagel this morning but I know I burned it off. I worked the heck out of my treadmill today and I am doing yoga tonight.

This is what I had today:

Breakfast:
1 bagel with fat free cream cheese
1 small vanilla yogurt

Lunch:
1 low fat chicken salad sandwhich on reduced calorie Wonder bread
1 cup of Campbell's Soup At Hand (Cream of Chicken)

Snack:
Baby carrots and grapes

Not sure what we are doing for dinner tonight. I might have a large salad and a slice of pizza. Friday nights we don't cook. So I will have to see.

I agree with Linda though. If it's working for you then that's the point. Anyway good luck with your weight loss and look forward to seeing you around.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #4  

Weightylady, I think you had a good low carb day. Both Dr. A and SBD allow you to add an apple back relatively early. I'd say, keep up the good work!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #5  
Slimwithin

Well, Missy, I can't see anything on your menu that is remotely low carb. Low calorie and low fat, yes indeed, but I wouldn't call it low carb. That's just MHO tho. What the heck do I know?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:46 PM   #6  
workin' my way back down

Missy, I must agree here with LindaBC , it's not at all low carb, but if it works for you, who are we to say?
WeightyLady...... sounds like you're ontarget to me - actually, your menu sounds kind of like mine, except that I'm not having fruit........
Old 01-23-2004, 08:41 PM   #7  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Missy, first let me say that I am happy your eating program is working for you. Just for curiousity I ran your carbs through fitday.com and came up with (depending on size and sf or not) between 78 and 102 carbs for the early part of the day. I would be more inclined to say you are eating low calorie low fat rather than low carb. Now the only reason I bring that up is I don't want someone lurking and thinking they can have all those carbs and be low carb.

Weightylady, sounds like you are doing good. I haven't read the South Beach Diet book so I don't know about their guidelines. I am waiting for Dana Carpenter's book as she outlines some of the programs in there. There are so many different programs out there to choose from.

Sue
Old 01-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #8  
Princess in Training

Your menu isn't low carb...as the others said. But if it is working and you are not hungry, great!

For your information....
egg beaters is higher carbs than plain eggs.
American cheese is higher in carbs than natural cheese
Healthy choice meats increase starches and grains usually
If you're eating regular peanut butter, it is LOADED with sugar
Ricotta cheese is mildly carby-and you shouldn't eat more than a 1/2 cup
Sugar-Free puddings/jello is made with aspartamine, which has a serious reputation for stalling weight loss.
Skim milk has more carbs than whole milk or cream
Eating a carrot causes a drastic blood sugar spike, I'd be careful there
"Unless it is Aktins approved" Please please please, draw a line right now between what Dr Atkins recommends in his books and what "atkins nutritionals" says. The Dr's books are *NOT* the same thing as the company selling bars, shakes, etc. All the low carb junk food is not meant to be consumed regularly. Atkins himself said the vast majority of our foods should come from unprocessed sources of vegetables, meat, dairy (cheese), nuts, berries, and whole grains. Some people can occasionaly have some of the Atkins products, but from the reading I've done, if you stall (don't lose weigh or inches for 4 weeks) they are nearly always the first thing you'll have to quit. Better to not get used to them, I say!

If you are happy with your current menu, maybe try to start counting points via weight watchers to manage portion control?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:42 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Weighty lady you are doing just great.

Missy I can not say any more that what was said before. Go back through the book. the reason for the lower carb is to reduce the insulin production which causes the problems with weight. I was in great ketosis untill I just started to eat a few things. My meals are usually

b-3 eggs soft boiled on a slice of atkins toast (6 ECC)
s- not much if I get anything
l- either a low carb shake or bar or some tuna with cheese (warmed up to resemble a tuna melt) meat or similar
dinner meat and veggie loads of both

just having that silce of toast and shake is throwing me out of ketosis, if what your goals is to go low fat and cut the calories than you are doing great. You will lose weight. You meal is a lower carb diet and you are eating the right kind of carbs. (lower glycemic carbs) Most people eat about 200 grams of carbs daily and most of that are the high glycemic carbs. So honestly you are not doing bad, but yogurt unless you eat the whole fat and same with the cheese and most foods, are stabelized with carb solutions, which is counter productive. the SB diet I understand combines a lower carb and low fat diet into one. the Carbohydrate Addicts diet is similar but alows you to eat your carbs at one meal. Balanced with vegies and protein per serving.

We don't mean to scare please post a reply to let us know where you are in the diet so we can understand if you are not fullly aware of it you are doing a differnt plan.