Old 02-10-2003, 05:28 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default can we get a little history on you?

ever wonder how/why some people know all that STUFF they share? and know it so well? take a look at dyan's answer on water softeners, and you'll see what i mean.

so, my question is this: what kind of work do you do? what were you trained for [especially for you SAHM who i KNOW did something else before the kids]? what would you prefer to be doing?

i'm just so curious about everyone!!!

ok. i'll start. i'm a very old medical editor and writer, currently the editorial director of a company that produces continuing medical education. i've analyzed literature and data, done a whole lot of literature research, and written for consumers, business, industry, websites, magazines, regulatory submissions [mostly for hazardous waste contractors], and devised litigation strategies for product liability cases.

what would i rather do? not sure. something that would benefit society... and let me sleep later!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #2  
Slimwithin

How the heck can anybody top that, Jiff? You must be very talented.
I've had a varied career, some jobs more interesting and fun than others.
I started out as a steno in a law firm (boooorrrrrring). Then a variety of secretarial positions. Then, a few years off for motherhood and, when both kids were in school, part time at a small weekly newspaper typing up all the articles. I even had my own cooking column.
Then we moved to northern BC where I spent a couple of years managing three apartment blocks (for my sins...that's a quick way to a nervous breakdown) We got free rent of a 3 bedroom apartment and hubby was free to do outside contracting jobs. I absolutely hated it though. Then came three years as Chief of Continuity at the local radio station writing advertising copy and making sure they all aired at their designated times. This was fun but stressful. Radio people are all nuts.
Then we moved to Vancouver and I took some computer courses. Worked as secretary for a YMCA program director for a few years, then a few more years at the Workers' Comp office doing a variety of jobs. Oh, and meanwhile, for the past 30 years I've done the books for my hubby's construction business from our home office. That's my only job now besides looking after home and garden.
What would I rather be doing? Anything but paperwork. Actually, I've been thinking about taking a course in flower arranging but not sure if I actually want to work in that field. I don't think it pays very well and I do enjoy being at home most of the time. I'd also like to take some painting classes. I've done the decorative painting thing but I'm talking real painting in oils ...especially portraits. I have a habit of drawing faces all over the place.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:58 PM   #3  

I am truly the jaqueline of all trades myself so to pinpoint one talent is difficult. Push comes to shove, I went to university for English and went abroad to teach English as a Second language. Now in amongst all of that, I have secretarial/promotional/fundraising experience. And I can make a Subway sandwich (don't even wanna talk about that job!) And I fool around with web and graphic design. And I can do hair and make up from my modeling days. And I know just about every wood working tool known to man and what it is used for. K, is that enough? LOL Oh and of course my current full time positon: Domestic Vice President of Human Resources and members of various sub-committees, like Caterer, Laundress, Secretary, Conflict Resolution Negotiator, Maid, Chauffeur, Hostess, and many others.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #4  

Where to begin... I graduated with a BED fully intending to teach the rest of my life. Worked one summer as a respite worker with premature infants and decided this was where my heart was. So for three years I created a small business of caring for preschool children having various types of special needs. I loved the work but after a year of working with child welfare I found I couldn't go to sleep at night because I was worried about the kids.
So I went back to teaching and did so for a few years. I got married, moved to Halifax N.S. and decided what I really wanted was to stay home and have my own family. So here I am 5 years later with a 2 1/2 year old and a house full of other people's children. The housework never seems to end but I am able to watch my little guy grow up and hopefully someday have another little one.
I plan to write when I my kids go to school and the house is quiet. I actually intended to become a journalist but changed my mind 3 weeks before university to follow a guy.
I like being home and not having to feel rushed so whatever the future holds this is where I will be!!
Old 02-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #5  
CatGal

Default Ok, so you are all more interesting than I am...

I went to college for "Fashion Buying and Merchandising". Worked in the Garment District in NCY for about 5 years. I was in accessories (belts) and clothing (mens & womens casual wear). Then in 1991 I lost my job. GOOD! I hated it! Hated the commute, hated the field.

So, I went back to doing collections work for a bank, yep... That is what I did while going to school. Long story short (I have been with my company for 11+ years) my official title now is Director of Implementations & Conversions. I help financial institutions bring up Visa/MarsterCard products. I am pretty good at my job and it is interesting. My company frustrates me sometimes, but who's doesn't.

I plan on entering the field of Motherhood sometime in the next year of so...
GinaMarie
Old 02-10-2003, 08:08 PM   #6  

I started out working in the secretarial/accounting field where I worked for 5 years and then I became a stay at home mom for 3 years. After my son turned 2 I went to work at a school as a secretary/bookkeeper. I left there and have been at my current job for 8 years now. My current job is a 9-1-1 dispatcher. I love my job but hate my hours so I put up with it.

I think this topic was a good idea. It gives everyone an idea of everyone's background.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:18 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

First time I went to school, I took office management, and ended up working in Hotels for many years.

Second time I went to school, I got my real estate liscense.....had a client fall thru a barn roof, and promply quit!!

Third and last time I went back to school, I trained to be a correctional officer (jail guard) Worked in the local jail back home, and LOVED it!!! Applied to Kingston Pen, and got a job as a c.o. got home after the offer, and my now exhusband had a fit about my working in "such" a place. I was to a point where I was going to pack up and go without him......further MY career. But in the end opted to save the marriage. Went back to work in the Hotel business for several years

Left husband...........moved to southern ontario, and managed a large chain store for about 2 yrs.

Found current husband on line moved here, and opened up a gift shop with a northern ontario flare, and I make furniture out of twigs.

What would I like to be doing? If I could get into another correctional officer position without freaking out hubby, I would. lol, but since that isnt going to happen I will continue on with my happy little life just the way it is.

Robin
Old 02-10-2003, 08:21 PM   #8  

You all are really interesting - women of many talents!

Let's see, I started out as a graphic designer and have done that for 20+ years. I owned an antique store, a whitewater rafting business (fun, fun, fun!), a graphics business and a candy store. I've also written for and edited newspapers. I worked for a greeting card company too (no, Peach, I didn't write the cards). What this all tells me is I'm getting to be really old! Dang.

Currently, I'm the queen of ebay and enjoying it. Leaves me time to be a mom and most importantly, a softball coach. Ya gotta have priorities!

Chickadee
Old 02-10-2003, 08:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Tee-hee-hee!! Anyone need a massage, manicure, pedicure, acrylic nails, perm, straightener, pin-curls, finger-wave, haircut, or even a wig? I am YOUR woman. I trained for cosmetology in high school, got my license just before graduation, and had the absolute GROSSEST job in the history. Men's hair replacement. Surgical men's hair replacement. Try sewing a toupee onto a stranger's scalp. Shudder!!!

Of course, men being thousands of times pickier than women, that job didn't last long. I also worked at a daycare (my first job where I decided NEVER to have kids ) and several grocery stores. Was manager of electronics department at Target for a couple years, that was sooooooooooo not fun. Ummm, waitress at the Waffle House, then my ultimate job: telemarketing!

That's right, if you can sell it, I have telemarketed for it. Knives, water softeners, jewelry, caller id boxes, security systems and free cemetery spaces. That's how I came to my current job as Administrator of the cemetery where I started working in 1994 as a telemarketer.

Currently I am a glorified secretary with a ton of responsibility that I do not get paid enough for. It's gratifying work sometimes, and aggravating most of the time. Oh, and you should hear the jokes.

It's nice getting to know you all!

Oh, I forgot to tell you what I want to be when I grow up! A writer of those torrid romance novels you hide in your home because you don't want anyone to know you read them. I have a great imagination but absolutely no talent!
Old 02-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #10  
CatGal

Default OOPS!

I forgot to tell you what I would rather be doing!

I would rather be independantly wealthy and spend my time working in an animal shelter, particularly with cats!

Or I would settle for something that made more of a contribution to society...
Old 02-10-2003, 08:54 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

oh this is sooo cool!!! you are all so talented and patient, and, diversified, and, well, words fail me!!! believe it or not!!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 09:51 PM   #12  
workin' my way back down

Sheeesh! And I thought that I had a varied work life!!! I started out in (working) life studying to be a translator at the UN (French major).. left school before my degree, became a bi-lingual secretary (gave up the chance to live & work in Provence for 1 year - ALL EXPENSES PAID and receive a salary too!!!! - because bf was coming home from Vietnam in 3 months! - duuuuh shows how dumb girls can be!!! ) Worked till dd1 was born, stayed home till she was 2 and then got a job as a legal secretary -- did that til for a while (HATED it) and did home typing until dd2 was born.... when she became 2, I went to work at the IRS as a clerk, got promoted to secretary ... then quit to go back to college. Got accounting degree,then passed my CPA exam, worked for large CPA firm, small CPA firm, for a bank as an internal auditor, then worked for myself in my own practice.... when I couldn't stand that anymore, I went BACK to school and became what I do now: diagnostic medical sonographer.... (of course, at this time of year I also do income taxes "on the side")..

What would I really love to do? Hmmmmmm - I'm with Sherrie - I read so many trashy novels, that I want to write them and be as glamorous as Barbara Cartland!!!!! (too bad I have nooooo talent!)
Old 02-10-2003, 10:04 PM   #13  
WW Moderator

Well I went to college right out of high school, and partied my way right through half of it when I decided I didn't really know what I wanted to do, other that be a wife. So, stupid lovesick me drops out of college and marries husband number one. That marriage failed miserably 8 years and 10,000 beers later (him not me) so I meanwhile spent the rest of my time working at my college job, the Plasma Center. (much like the blood bank, but we pay you)

I worked my way into management a couple of years into it, and I have been stuck in middle management for the last 12 years. I was the manager, had a nervous breakdown in 1998, stepped back down to Asst Manager where I have been much more content ever since. I mostly hire, fire, put out everybody's fires,
answer questions, and manage the units of plasma that people have donated according to federal guidelines.

I have no windows, and nothing but flourescent lights and gray walls, so my dream job is something with sunlight and maybe some real fresh air. I don't want to spend the rest of my life enforcing rules that a corporate office made, that I had no creative input on . I don't get to be creative anymore. I just 'do as told' and that just sucks. I want a creative job, where my input matters. I also want a job that I can be flexible with so I can homeschool my son!
Old 02-10-2003, 11:39 PM   #14  

I originally wanted to become a vet. I graduated high school at 16 and was accepted at Guelph University. My mother thought I was too young to be so far away from home and begged me to remain home for an additional year. I do so ... bad move on my part. I worked for a vet for the year and attempted to get back into the University .. no go .. So I took a few courses at the local college and then when I couldnt take it anymore where I was living (the city that is) I randomally chose to take a two year course in Correctional Services. I graduated with honours .. but due to some anger management issues I had chose to work with Young Offenders. I have worked in this area for almost 20 years now in some way shape or form. I have held management positions, front line, worked with autistic children and in a variety of settings. When my DH got a job in southern Ontario, I continued to work in the field until I became so upset with the care and custody the kids were receiving and quit on a stress leave. I now run a specialized foster home program in my own home. I specialize in assessment and receiving of mostly teenagers but occassionally I do receive very disturbed younger children. Due to my background, most of the children I receive are very high risk and need constant supervision and counselling and structure.

What would I rather be doing .. I think a mixture of the two .. I would love to breed cats or small dogs. But unfortuatly, one of my cats was infected with FIP and all six of them carry it so until they all pass away, I will be unable to breed cats. I dont think it would be fair to breed dogs in our current home as we have limited space for that. Plus, I dont know that much about showing anything Any tips Ruth??

So in a nut shell thats me
Old 02-11-2003, 06:54 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

What an interesting thread! I'll add my CV when I have time.
Dog cuddling and coffee by the stove is on the agenda right now.