Old 01-22-2003, 10:02 AM   #1  
CatGal

Thumbs up Week 3 Results - Frustrating!

Hi all! Today was my week 3 weigh-in and I am still not seeing any results!

Recap: I lost 5 pounds on the two week induction period...

This week, I did all the same things, only I walked on my treadmill 3 times for 20 minutes this week, hoping it would kick my metabolism in gear!...

So... I GAINED a pound!

I don't know... My ketosis sticks are turning purple, which is just about the only positive result that I am seeing. Anywhere from small to large... But my measurements have not changed and either has my weight, really...

I can't say that I am ready to give up, because I actually like eating this way... but if I am not going to see results, what is the point?

I have made my fitday journal public...

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=CatGal68

Thanks chicks!
GinaMarie
Old 01-22-2003, 10:07 AM   #2  

Hi Gina,
Don't get discouraged. Sometimes with Atkins we lose internal fat (fat surrounding the organs), which won't necessarily show up when you measure and as we all know, with Atkins, when you lose fat your body compensates with a little water gain until it evens out. Are you drinking enough water? I might up the exercise a little bit too. Don't worry about 1 pound.

I'll check out your fitday journal too and see if I can come up with any suggestions...
Old 01-22-2003, 10:13 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

GinaMarie
Just took a peek at your fitday......get rid of the bars and muffin thingys!!! They will stall you faster than anything else. I know they say that they have only so many carbs etc. But it will stall you and make you feel like your running in place. Diet sodas do the same thing. (for me anyway) but it wont hurt to cut them out for a week and see if you have a loss.

Try eating a veggie for snacks instead. Big ole bowl of broccoli with butter and parm cheese, or a ceasar salad with bacon bits. Make up a pot of curried meatballs, and have one or two of them at a time for snacks (they are good cold too)

Your doing great GM, dont give up now.......you can do it!!!

Robin
Old 01-22-2003, 10:21 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I didn't have time to look but definitely ditch the bars and muffins! They fool your body into thinking it is getting sweets! Thre are also those evil hidden carbs in there.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:11 AM   #5  
CatGal

Default I knew it was going to be the bars!

I knew you were all going to tell me to ditch my bars! I LOVE my bars! They keep me sane... But I will do it for a week and see what happens. My theory was that I would limit myself to one non-whole food thing a day. A diet vanilla coke, which is a real treat for me, a bar in the afternoon, some Atkins muffins with breakfast, but lately I have become lax. Eating a bar in the aftenoon and then lo-carb chocotale at night... I don't understand why that would stall a person, but I will sacrifice and see...

Thanks!
Gina
Old 01-22-2003, 11:28 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just two words.... EAT CLEAN! You don't want all those funny things in your precious body, do you?
Old 01-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #7  

I copied this from the Atkins website:

Slow Weight Loss and Plateaus
FAQ 1-10 of 10
Could eating Advantage bars be impeding my weight loss?
This varies by individual. If you have reached a plateau and are not losing weight, try omitting the bars until weight loss resumes. Alternatively, you could exercise more to burn the extra calories or try eating only half a bar. Remember, each bar contains approximately 220 calories and these added calories could be affecting your overall weight loss. The controlled carb way of eating has an advantage over low-fat diets in that you can take in more calories and still lose more weight, but don’t regard that as a license to overeat.

What is carb creep and how can I avoid it?
When you start adding back carbohydrates as you move from Induction into the progressively less restrictive phases of Atkins, some people begin to lose track of how many grams of carbs they're eating. If that happens, you are likely to regain the pounds you've lost. That is why it is very important to increase your daily carb intake by only five grams each week and to introduce only one new food at a time. That way, you’ll also immediately notice if a new food is causing you to experience cravings that lead to over-eating. Another way to stay in control is to keep a food diary so you can spot troublesome foods before they set up a pattern of cravings and gorging. For example, if you find after eating nuts, you are hungry again in a few hours, cut out the nuts and see if the hunger disappears.

After months of following Atkins, I started cheating. What's the best way to get back on plan?
When someone "cheats," they often experience carbohydrate cravings caused by unstable blood sugar levels. The first thing you need to do is go back on Induction for a week or so to get your blood sugar level under control. When you are no longer craving foods high in carbohydrates and your energy level feels stable, you can move beyond Induction again. Pay careful attention to what happened that led you to "fall off the wagon" and make sure not to let it happen again. But don’t fall into the trap of being too strict and denying yourself completely; this could lead to more cheating. Giving yourself an occasional treat—within your carbohydrate threshold—is part of the Atkins approach.

I lost weight on Induction and for the first few months on Ongoing Weight Loss, but now the scale just won't budge. How do I get off this plateau?
First, before you assume there is a problem, ask yourself some questions: Are you feeling better? Are your clothes fitting better? (You may be losing inches, not pounds, because muscle weighs more than fat.) Are you still losing, but at a slower rate? You may just need to continue a bit longer, making slight modifications. These include:

Decreasing the number of grams of carbohydrate you are consuming by 5 or 10 grams.

Increasing the amount of fat and decrease protein.

Finding and eliminating "hidden" carbs in the form of lemon juice, processed foods or medications that may contain sugar.

Increasing your activity level.

Consider replacing new medications that may affect your metabolism, such as hormone replacement therapy or antidepressants, after consultation with your physician.

Drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily.

Cutting back on artificial sweeteners, cheese or excess protein.

For other possibilities, including a sluggish thyroid and yeast overgrowth, see the Overcoming Obstacles area of our Web site.

My sister and I are both doing Atkins, but she is losing weight much more quickly than I am. What's my problem?
First, assuming that you are doing Atkins properly, recognize that there may not be a problem at all. Different people will respond to Atkins differently; some consistently lose weight while others do so in stages. Don't compare yourself to others and become overly concerned with short-term results. Also, make sure your expectations of weight loss are realistic. Atkins is designed to lead you to your natural ideal weight. For many people, that may still be more than they wish to weigh. We strongly recommend that you manage your expectations in a real and healthy way.

Second, remember that success on Atkins should always be measured by more than just the scale. Consider the following questions and think about how they apply to your experience on Atkins:

Are you experiencing more energy and vitality throughout the day?

Are your clothes fitting you better?

Are you experiencing less between meal cravings and hunger?

Have your blood lipid tests improved?

Are losing weight, but at a slow pace?

Have you lost inches?

If you answered “yes” to any of the above, then you have the right plan for the rest of your life. Continue to stick with it, modifying it as you go along to make it work for you, and you will continue to see suitable health enhancing results.

Can't you lose weight without exercising?
You may be able to lose weight without exercising, but it is not recommended. Exercise not only speeds weight loss and enhances muscle tone, it also offers a host of other health benefits. Many studies have shown that inactivity is a serious risk factor for heart disease; more recently, lack of exercise was linked to a greater risk of developing cancer.

Regular aerobic exercise strengthens the heart muscle and widens the arteries that supply extra oxygen-rich blood to weaker areas of the heart. This is why cardiologists at The Atkins Center prescribe exercise, along with a controlled carbohydrate diet and nutritional supplements, to cardiology patients.

I am unable to get into ketosis even when I consume no carbohydrate. What should I do?
Some people do not produce enough ketones to show up in their urine. If you are experiencing a reduction in your appetite and an improvement in well-being and are losing weight or your clothes are feeling looser, there is no need to do anything differently. Remember, the lipolysis testing strips (LTS) are tools; making them change color is not the sole object of the game. If you are not losing weight, you either have a strong metabolic resistance to weight loss or you are consuming “hidden” carbohydrates in the form of sweetened salad dressing, breading, etc. Then follow Induction strictly for five days. If the LTS still haven’t changed even slightly, make sure you are not consuming excess protein and measure your salads to make sure you are not eating too many veggies. Still no change? Try cutting out tomatoes and onions, which are relatively high on the glycemic index. You may also benefit from nutritional supplements such as L-carnitine, hydroxycitric acid (HCA), and chromium—all of which aid in hunger reduction or weight loss. You may also need to step up the frequency and intensity of your exercise program.

I have been able to do Atkins successfully but now that I am in Pre-Maintenance, my appetite increased. Why and what can I do to manage it?
Appetite can return when you are no longer in lipolysis. Or you may have added a food that may be causing your blood sugar to become unstable, contributing to hunger or the re-emergence of cravings. Examine what you’ve recently added and determine if it contains sugars or refined grain. Be sure that you are maintaining a regular intake of protein and fat and, if eating more of acceptable foods assuages your hunger, eat a bit more. If all else fails, stop the most recent additions until you get your appetite under control.

Doesn't ketosis lead to loss of muscle mass?
On the contrary, because the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM is high in protein, it is more likely to build muscle. Only people who are following very low-calorie diets lose muscle mass, because their protein intake is inadequate. The Atkins approach, however, is not calorie restricted (although it is not an invitation for gorging, merely a recommendation to eat until you are no longer hungry) and protein intake required offsets any possible loss of muscle mass.

I suspect I may have an underactive thyroid. Could that be why it is so difficult for me to lose weight?
Your thyroid gland's main function is to regulate the speed of your metabolism. So it is not difficult to understand that if it is underactive—the medical word is hypothyroid—your slowed metabolism makes you more resistant to weight loss.

To ascertain whether you have hypothyroidism, your doctor will do blood tests to evaluate your production of thyroid hormones T4 (also known as thyroxine) and T3 (your body converts T4 to T3), as well as another hormone called TSH. However, these clinical tests do not catch all cases. First think about whether you are experiencing any of the signs of an underactive thyroid. These include sensitivity to cold, weight gain, hair loss, fatigue and lethargy, depression, dry skin, chronic constipation, poor nails, poor memory and elevated cholesterol levels. If so, there is a simple way—the Barnes technique of basal metabolism—to ascertain if you are hypthyroid.

Simply take your temperature orally four times a day (before each meal and before you go to bed) for four days. Average your temperature each day, and if it is consistently below 98 degrees Fahrenheit, you are likely to have hypothyroidism. If it is significantly lower, you almost definitely do, and you should bring this information to the attention of your physician, who will likely prescribe thyroid hormone replacement therapy. (Do be aware that not all doctors take basal metabolism as seriously as they should.)
Old 01-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #8  
CatGal

Default Thanks Tilly!

That was the second place I sent this morning after posting here. I read the FAQ, but I just don't want to believe them... I will dump the bars or at least cut back and see...
Old 01-22-2003, 12:34 PM   #9  

I know, it's sad. I like the bars too and sometimes they really get me through the day. But I also think a principal of this way of eating is to eliminate the cravings, which can only be done by giving up sweet things...but even so, the bars are better than cheating on other things!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:19 PM   #10  

Default Weighing in

Don't give up! When I started my diet back in December, I gained 5 lbs before I started losing any. Now I've lost a total of 17lbs within 4 weeks.

Again, don't give up. Keep trying!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:58 PM   #11  
CatGal

Default Here is an update!

Auburn - Thanks for posting your encouragement! I hope that I have a breakthrough soon, before I have a breakdown!

For all the others that posted advice: I gave up those Atkins Advantage Bars in the afternoon (replaced them with cheese and pepperoni) and my keytone readings shot WAY up! Although I have not seen any movement on the scale, I am hopeful... Yes, I am a bad girl and weigh everyday!

Again, I have to thank you all for helping me out! This is not easy, but with support it is livable!
GinaMarie
Old 01-24-2003, 04:42 PM   #12  

GinaMarie--

What is it with us?? I started right after you--remember? Now I am in the same predicament I do allow myself a couple diet pepsi's a day--but I don't do the bars or muffins and I am not seeing any loss--I even saw a few friends yesterday I haven't seen since I started this--you know how people who don't see you as much can usually tell better if your losing weight.....well...nothing!!

I'm gonna keep trying--just know you are not alone!!

mis
Old 01-24-2003, 05:07 PM   #13  
CatGal

Mis - I don't know what is going on! All I know is that my body is being a real pain in the A** about this!

I hope what happened to Auburn happens to us and we lose 17 pounds in 4 weeks!

I added excercise 3x/week for 20 mins to my plan last week, even that didn't help!

I think you can get diet cola that is not made with aspartame. Either RC or Diet Rite, I don't remember which. Maybe that will help you out?

Hang in there! We can be in it together!
Gina