Old 11-21-2002, 07:52 PM   #1  
Slimwithin

Default To all you fans of Christmas

I just have one question. Well, I have more than one but I'll only ask one at this time.
When you put up your tree and all your decorations so blessed EARLY...like Dec 1 or sooner....how the heck do you dust and vacuum around them all? I'd have dust webs hanging from them after three weeks if I put them up so early and I don't even have forced air heat (which, I believe causes dust to fly up and form those cobweblike tendrils).
How do you not get sick of all that glitz and STUFF all over the house. I'm not Mrs. Clean...far from it...but my tree goes up MAYBE 7 days before Christmas and it comes down FOR SURE on or preferably BEFORE New Years Day. I love it for one...maximum two days and then it starts to grate on my nerves.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:25 PM   #2  
Mommy x 4

S/C/G: 230/160/150

Baaaaahhh Humbug Linda. LOL

I love to have my tree up early, I dust around it, I don't have too many knick knack items to clutter up my house. I love the soft glowing lights on the tree, my little light up village and various xmas candles and wreaths.

I tend to put away other items so I don't get a cluttered look, as for the Glitz, I am rather flashy myself so I fit right in, ha ha ha!
My xmas lights come on the 20 th of Nov, my tree goes up by the 25th of Nov. I take my tree down on Jan 2.

I think it is to each their own, my sister goes way beyond what I do and I am not sure how she lives with every room in her house decorated. I tend decorate my living room, kitchen and a centerpiece in my dinning room. Wreath on front and back door, window stickies (for baby) on living room and sliding patio doors.

I won't tell you when I start to play xmas carols ha ha ha ha

Merry ho ho!
Old 11-21-2002, 08:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Linda, I notice that my daughter loves Christmas, from the time she was in her walker and ran across the room smack into the tree and knocked it over. Needless to say, from then on I put up the 3 foot tree on the bar FAR out of her reach. Unfortunately, it's a MAJOR pain to clean around it, hence the short season at my house. I just don't have that much cheer in my heart, I guess! Besides, I have enough to clean up around here without the tinsel and fake pine needles and broken glass ornaments. Hmph!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:09 PM   #4  

Jingle bells, jingle bells...oh hi Linda--humming a merry tune and you ask about cleaning? Well, I always get a real tree--I love the pine scent. people ask me how to preserve my tree--very simple--7UP! Works wonders. I fill up the reservoir with the stuff and as it gets sucked up then I half and half the formula with water and 7. Falling needles? No problemo--quick once around the tree with the vac and they're gone. Tinsel? Don't use it--doggers can die if they eat it and I get my sparklies from the garlands and strategically placed lights.

As for the rest of holiday decorating the trick is buying things that make you happy to display, if you don't like it--dont put it out! Andit never looks cluttered as the "everyday" items get put in the Christmas box as the Christmas stuff comes out. That way they won't get lost and they will get switched back as the season ends.

Buck up and enjoy the holiday! (MMM..and I am a HUGE fan of holiday scented candles--got one that smells like gingerbread!)
Old 11-22-2002, 06:54 AM   #5  
she who must be obeyed

Linda, boy do I understand your question. I love Christmas, but when it's over I'm always glad.

We have put our tree up as early as the first part of December. Like Pooky, I think it was Pooky said, I just clean around it.

As for the little cob-webbie things. My ceilings, 18 foot in the family room (we thought it was a good idea when we bought the house, and it really is) attract the little stringy cobwebs. I have a LONG handle I use wrapped with a dust cloth to get them out of the high reaches. I have neighbors who wrap a tennis ball with a dust cloth and "throw" it at the cobwebs. I haven't tried this one.

We usually go home on December 26th so the afternoon of the 25th we strip the tree and take it out.

As for the other sit around stuff, sometimes I put it out sometimes I don't. I don't do basements (meaning, the only time I venture down there is when we have a tornado warning) so if someone else wants to bring the stuff up I will use it.

Linda I understand the "grate on your nerves" comment. You just like everything in order.

Debbie