Old 07-26-2002, 06:44 PM   #1  

Wink Great Grammie

The doctor has put me on the low carbs program last week and I have been doing well on it I have been reading all of the messages for the last week and using many of the sugestions.
I am 72 years old and pretty set in my ways and not too happy about having to do this. I am allowed to have up to 130 carbs a day and I have been well under that amount. I feel sluggish and tired most of the time I am sure that will change when I get rid of some of this weight I started at 241 and today I am at 237.5.
I am drinking more coffee than I should hoping I will get some energy.
I get loss sometimes so if I don't reply to someone its not on purpose.

Trixie
Old 07-26-2002, 08:44 PM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Hi great Grammie!! Trixie just a great name for a great grammie!!

Well it looks like you have lots of leeway. You will find that you will in a few days feel more energised.

Why did the doc put you on a low carb diet anyway??

First question I have are you on any other medications? and do you have medical issues that need to be taken into consideration. If you feel uncomfortable with answering on such a public post please feel free to pm me. that can be done by clicking on the pm button up on the top of MY post. or if you like you can email me. [email protected]

I can not suggest anything for that untill I know what meds you are on if any. for now just keep plodding along. drink your coffee but do make sure that you drink a lot of water. I know I know that makes you run but believe me after a short time you will have enlarged your bladder so you do not have to run so much and believe it you will get more contol over your bladder too! (speaking form one who knows)

BIG question??? how do your legs feel?? do the feel loggy but yet jumpy at the same time???
Old 07-27-2002, 07:21 AM   #3  

Hi Sue
Doctor put me on low carbs because of my weight mostly I take high blood and arthritis medecine. My legs and feet hurt mostly I think its from the weight when I sit and watch tv late at night my legs get jumpy I think that's just circulation in them.
Trixie
Old 07-27-2002, 07:46 AM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

your BP meds. that is what I am most concerned with. many of them are potassium sparing which menas that you wil retain potassium. when doing this diet you should take supplemnts and ome of the most important ones is potasium, the reason for that is the water that you release from your system also releases much [potassium. when my pottassium gets low I find that my legs just do not want to do anything although my mind does. when i lay in bed my legs feel like they want to continue going even though i am dead tired. this jumpiness is signs that the potassium is low. with this in mind what you need to do is watch for these symptoms and if you start to have them to take a supplement. I do not want you to start though with out consulting your doc. if he is suggesting a low carb diet then you have a gem of a doc. I know you are questioning his motives now but honestly it works not only for your weight (which does not just drop off over night) but for your blood pressure, cholesterol and once you get past this tired ness you will find that you feel great and how did you live your enitre life feeling so down (you did not even know it) You will be running circles around your grand children. Look at RUTH she runs circles around us!!!
Old 07-27-2002, 07:47 AM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

By the way what are you doing up so early!!!????
Old 07-27-2002, 12:11 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Hi Trixie! Welcome to 3FC and to low carb. I wasn't happy when my doctor told me to do low carb, either. I loved potatoes and pasta and rice and I wanted to do a low fat diet so bad so I could have all these things. It took me about a year to realize he was right, and that it wasn't so bad! Now I am very happy with low carb. It didn't take long. Sticking with it for a few days, reading all the great recipes and listening to the WONDERFUL people here on the low carb board helped so much. Good luck on this way of eating!
Old 07-27-2002, 01:44 PM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

Actually Jennifer you hit on the biggest KEY to this. many people feel they have to give up things they thought they loved. well that they loved but there is so much tochose from check out the recipe section and it that is not enough I have a 120 page book you can down load and use. with many different things. that way you can not use the excuse that you are tired of the food. thereis just too many ways to eat..............
Old 07-27-2002, 04:46 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

hey there grandma trixie!!! so nice to have you here!! these wise ladies have hit on a key point: focus on what you CAN have, and enjoy it! having 130 grams of carbs per day actually gives you some wiggle room for your favorite things. and that's important. you can probably work in some of your can't-do-without favorites with some planning.

so, low-carb fruits go a long way to satisfying that sweet craving [especially with a wee dab of heavy cream!!] plus your vitamins and antioxidants and you can save those carbs for a little bit of mashed potatoes and gravy with your slab of pot roast!

think of your 130 grams of carbs as $130 that you get to spend every day. one day you'll spend $50 on a jacket that's on sale, and the next you'll buy some shoes or something for the grandkids.

it's a pick and choose kind of thing.

don't suffer. it'll make you cranky and you'll end up feeling miserable and deprived.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:16 AM   #9  

Good Morning everyone hot and muggy allready a/c working full blast. I have been keeping well under 100 carbs for the past week without any problems. I made low carb french toast with strawberries that was very good and I felt like I was cheating I don't think I will have any problems with sticking with this plan.I read where some one was keeping at 20 carbs I don't think I could do that. Guess doctor knows best. Thank you for all the advice.
Trixie
Old 07-28-2002, 08:38 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

great news, trixie... but you ARE staying to hang out with us, aren't you??? please??? we're such a nosy bunch, but very kind..
Old 08-02-2002, 08:39 AM   #11  

I got lost for a little while but I am back again. I am not having any problems except I would like the bread that I am avoiding I am still cleaning up the carb foods on hand I don't have anyone to use them and I don't want to waste them, I give the dog some of the things like last night I made spagetti and that was the last of it. I know I can have more carbs but I am trying to keep under the amount the doctor said I can have i don't care if I go into Ketosos I just want to lose weight. I am walking the dog only around the block (I have problems with knees and hips ) I am trying. I really enjoy reading all of the posts here and used many of your sugestions.
Trixie
Old 08-02-2002, 09:05 AM   #12  

Trixie, here is a suggestion you can take or leave : my mom is about your age, and I've been trying to get her to do the same thing ... strength training! I don't mean joining a gym and pressing hundreds of pounds, I mean getting some light hand weights and doing some simple exercises. You can find a book at the library. The reason I suggest this is that I am one of those people who has never really gotten that burst of energy other people talk about getting on the low carb, but I do find when I do a little weight lifting I start feeling more energetic! And this happened from the very first time I did it!

Again, this is just a suggestion -- I'm not saying you necessarily want to get buff, but try it! You might like it!

Pen
Old 08-02-2002, 02:52 PM   #13  
Hang In There

Sorry I haven't been able to welcome you before now Trixie, but i had knee replacement surgery las Friday and it's taken me a while to feel good enought to try to catch up on all the posts.

I have a suggestion to help you from "getting lost" on the threads. If you will check "subscribe to this thread" on the threads you want to keep up with, you will be emailed when someone posts, then all you have to do is to click on the link and you will automatically be sent to the right spot. It helps.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:24 AM   #14  
Trying to find my way.

Trixie how are you doing with this?? just checking in to see if there are any problems that you can think of.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:10 AM   #15  

I have some weights and pick them up once and a while (seldom) and books how to use them I will start to be more dedicated to using them. I try to walk the dog early while the coffee is brewing I find that its cool out and nice to come home to.
check out subscribe to this link so I can keep up with you
I am not having any real problems got the blood test results back and entered them in the Atkins site (just to see how I improve) I went to Walmart and bought some of the Atkins products the protein drink and a box of bars (ugh) can taste the brewers yeast I cut them in small squares in have them in the refrigerator take a little piece when I am desperate. Called 3 handymen to fix some things around the house andwas told they would be here only 1 came and wants $55 and hour have about 8 hours of work I may have to go with him if I can't get anyone else. No more men alive that could help me with this work.
Trixiel