Old 04-14-2002, 07:44 PM   #1  

Default Has anyone in this forum lost weight on adkins?

I was wondering if anyone had lost weight on adkins and kept it off. It seems almost too good to be true. I eat all the cheese, meat, cream cheese, pork skins, sour cream I want.
I sure do miss potatoes, rice, and bread though.
Please give me any advice you can.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2002, 07:55 PM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Hi jen. I have been on a similar diet, called Protein Power. from my numbers you can see that i have lost about 65 lbs. this has been slow and steady over almost 2 years. with some ups and downs. I will add that at first i was eating all the fat i could but then i found that when i cut some of the fat i did better, i maintained 1600 cal level atleast.

the one thing that i must add is that in any diet the failure rate is 95% so when you hear that peole gain from going off atkins the do going off WW and any other weight loss plan. I know many people doing thie WOE for 5-6 years and have maintianed and are alive and doing great. so success is more a matter of determination, and support than the actual woe. (although I believe in the low carb) when you go off atkins you never actually go off it unless you stop it completly, the actuall procedure is to slowly add carb 5 a week til you stop loosing and that isyour maintainace carb level you can tweak it but if done properly you will not gain like many people think you do. I hope i answered your question with ou brining up too manymore.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking ME ME ME

I was able to lose weight on Atkins! And even though I cheated like crazy, I still weigh less than I did when I started! So I'm at it again! I love this program, I don't find it too restrictive because YOU CAN EAT EVERY SECOND THAT YOU ARE HUNGRY! As long as you eat low carb. That's simple!

The benefits for me have been more health related than weight loss related. Since I started eating this way, I have been experiencing NORMAL hormonal function and PCOS-related aggravations have calmed some.

I love Dr. Atkins!

That being said, don't cheat! Every time I cheat I throw myself into pits that are very hard to climb out of. I start the old eat carbs/crave carbs cycle! And, it stalls my weight loss, dang it! Why do I do it? I have no idea, but I'm trying to stop. This week I have been EXTREMELY good but am still showing no loss. Of course, since I don't weigh and my clothes are already pretty loose, how WOULD I know??

Good luck to you! Post often, ask questions, and we'll try to answer you. There's a great group of people on this forum!
Old 04-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #4  

Hi Jen,

I have lost weight on Atkins. The first time I started the diet I did it to letter and also bought Ketone sticks to see that I was in ketosis. I always need proof! The diet worked I lost weight!

Now after several years of wishy washing dieting I started Atkins Diet again and I am going to follow it to the letter.

It has been five days now and lost 1 pound. I am only going to weight myself every Sunday. So I will post loss/gain next Sunday.

Do you have his book? It really helps to read that as you go!

I also find that I am focused on just following the diet not the 60 pounds I need to lose! It makes the whole process more bearable. I also try and feel positive that I have in fact finally started again.

I am new to this site and it is really good, everyone is so nice!

Good Luck!
Old 04-15-2002, 09:23 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi,

I did atkins a while ago........and I lost in the beginning, like the first 2 weeks but then nothing after that. It was very frustrating to me. So then I decided to do CAD.

I had great luck with CAD but then got pregnant and gained a ton. So now I've been struggling starting any kind of diet.

Today, I started again but low carb with low calories.

Wish me luck !! lol

Love, Leens
Old 04-15-2002, 05:14 PM   #6  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Thumbs down

Ok, I'm on day 3 of Atkins. I feel ok. I'm kind of tired and lethargic though. I don't have a scale; how lame is that? I guess I'll buy one tomorrow. I bought the Atkins advantage bar and I'm sorry but the thing is TERRIBLE. I also bought some carbo-lite chocolate squares; those were pretty good.

Are people out there losing on this? And if after induction if I modify the diet will the pounds go right back on?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:25 AM   #7  
Still trying...

Talking Atkins success

Hey guys. I went on Atkins for two weeks a while ago and lost about 12 lbs. Then I went off for a long time, but I'm back now and committed, and I have lost 5 lbs since I started a week ago. I forget who asked if you'd gain weight once you end Induction, the answer is yes and no. Yes if you go back to eating exactly like you did before, and no if you follow Dr. Atkins' 4 phases for a low-carb lifestyle. It isn't just a diet, it's a life change that you have to be willing to make. (God, I know I sound like a commercial, I think it's because I'm partly trying to convince myself, lol) Oh, and I also wanted to add that even though the Atkins program on its own is great, you MUST excercise to really see results and don't forget the carbs in your drinks! If you eat all low carb foods and then go drink two Cokes you really aren't following the plan, so make sure you watch out for little stuff like that. Also, for the person who said they felt lethargic, that's normal for the first few days while your body adjusts to ketosis. That feeling will go away soon.
For anyone interested in Atkins, I realy suggest you read the book, or at least check out the website www.atkinscenter.com I believe. There's some recipes, success stories, instructions, and a lot more info up there.
Finally, I'm just getting started on this program again so I honest can't say at this point what will definitely happen in the long term. But if you guys are interested in hearing about it let me know and I'll come back and post successes/failures of the program, at least as they relate to me.
Good luck everyone!
-Turtle
Old 04-16-2002, 10:16 AM   #8  

Unhappy headaches

I'm on day 4 now of Atkins. I have a headache. It started last night and it's continuing this morning. Will this end? Also, I haven't.....well, I haven't gone to the bathroom since saturday. I am drinking coffee in the morning which usually does it for me but nothing. Should I consider a laxative? My fiber is coming from the salad I have at lunch. Help.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:09 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

diet coke head youar e really having a tough time aren't you. youmuat have been really addicted to carbs. were you getting shaky before it was time to eat ??? it sound slike you were having a really bad insulin resistance. poor girl

several things i did responmd about your headach that should pass in a few days, as for the feeling drained it is the boody switching over the fuel and that also is the cause of the headaches it si protesting and saying use the carbs and that is from the insulin resistance

as for the constippation are you taking any supps??? the recommended ones are

potassium -required for the muscle contraction and when you start out and pee up a storm it is common to have the potassium get low. so you MUST replace it very important

magnesium - that also is important for the muscle contraction not as important as the potassium and many do not take this but i do cuz if i do not then i get constipated. so for you it may be a good idea. (thin Milk Of Magnesium)

when it ake my mag i usually take it in a mag /calcuim/zink combo.

the other thing is how much cheese are you eating???? and are you eating enough fats?? (natural lubricant) and enough water the stools need to be hydrated. so there are severl things you can do. the water will aslo help with the headaches. too..
Old 04-17-2002, 06:21 AM   #10  

Im loving it.
Been on Atkins just on 8 weeks and have lost 10 kilos/22pounds.
Ive never felt better in my life and no more migraines and my skin has also improved heaps.
i get to eat all the good stuff
Old 04-18-2002, 11:23 AM   #11  
Still trying...

Default Question for Bee...

Hey Bee,
First of all congratulations on all the weight you've lost, that's awesome! Secondly, I'm following Atkins too and I wanted to ask if you had any tips and at about what rate you lost the weight. I'm almost at the end of my second week of Induction (it'll be two weeks this Sunday) but I really haven't been losing much. Between the first Sunday and Thursday I started on Induction, I lost five pounds. But since then I've lost nothing! Do you think I'm doing something wrong? The last time I did this (a few months ago) I lost like 12 pounds in two weeks, but this time my scale just sort of stopped. Any ideas???
Thanx,
-Turtle
Old 04-23-2002, 08:52 AM   #12  

Angry It worked for me

I did Atkins Induction for 2 weeks several years ago and lost 11 pounds, almost painlessly! If I remember correctly, I had some headaches for the first few days but then felt pretty good (though never that burst of energy that some people experience).

It was hard for me, though, to be fixing dinner for the family with potatoes, rice, pasta, etc., so I switched to CAD. It worked really well for me -- I lost an average of 2-3 pounds a week, and best of all my cravings were GONE. The interesting thing was that when I cheated, I would start going crazy with cravings, but if I buckled down for about 24 hours they would subside.

Eventually I slacked off, after a 55 pound loss. Having gone through a second pregnancy, I've got 45 pounds to lose to get back to that point, then about 50 pounds to get to a "normal" weight. My plan is to start Induction when I get back from vacation in a few weeks ... I got a "starter kit" for a really good price on the Atkins website (vitamins) to get me inspired to start and to try out their supplement regimen.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2002, 11:35 AM   #13  

Unhappy

Well, I lasted 4 days on Atkins. I had to quit; my body felt nasty with all of that fat. Here I am again, starting over. I WILL make the 2 week induction. I think last time I was so obsessed with it; this time it's one day at a time. I think it will work. I did feel different even after 4 days last time. We'll see.
I am addicted to carbs. Bagels in the morning, bread with everything. I'm Italian, I'm supposed to have bread with everything.
Wish me luck on round two. The goal: Monday, May 13th I will have made it.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:14 PM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good luck DCH,

You know if you really want to do low carb and have some bread (I love italian bread to, with lots of butter mmmmm ) okay okay, there are other diets like WW/Low Carb and CAD and others.
Check them out before you totally go off the diet.

Love, Leens
Old 04-30-2002, 08:04 AM   #15  

I agree with Leens - when I did the Atkins Induction for 2 weeks before, I just about went crazy fixing things like rice, potatoes, pasta, bread for my family and not being able to have any. I switched to CAD and continued to lose weight at an average of 1.5-3 pounds a week. I'll note here that I did the old CAD, not CALP which is much more stringent about what you do with your reward meal ... and I won't say that it was the best thing to do or that it would work for everyone else, just that I lost weight doing it that way.

Pen