Old 04-05-2002, 11:39 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default a long-overdue thank you

well, ladies. it's like this. i've known for a long time that there had been a tremendous amount of support on this board during my unfortunate incarceration, but until now, i didn't have the courage to read the threads. it was just all too close for me to handle.

but now, i've read most of them, and all i can say is THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART

i always had the sense that i wasn't in control of the healing, and now i know why... it was all those prayers, warm thoughts, hugs, everything, from all of you. too many to name individually.

when i was admitted to the hospital, i couldn't walk two steps. or stand for more than 10 seconds. even with the cane

when i left the hospital, i could walk about 15 feet with oxygen and the cane

when i left the nursing home, i could walk down the 40 foot driveway without oxygen but with the cane

on november 6, the first weigh in since leaving the hospital, i had lost 75 pounds. and was wandering around without oxygen, but with the cane. could walk about 50 feet, but could stop and catch my breath standing up, rather than sitting down.

right after thanksgiving, the pulmonologist said i didn't need oxygen

and now, i use the cane for reaching for things, not for walking, unless it's late at night and my leg is swollen, or i have to walk a long distance, like a mall. or get the dog's attention.

and i've been doing 45 minutes of raul every morning this week. and doing laundry, and groceries and all kinds of other stuff.

if it hadn't been for your support, i doubt that i would be doing this well...

my next official weigh in is april 17. it'll be at least a total of 180 pounds.

oh, and for the record, welbutrin and zyban are the same thing. the generic name is buproprion. it's a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, which is one part of the complex serotonin cascade, kind of on the other end of the process. it acts very much like prozac, except that it's active on dopamine.

it's been helpful in getting people to stop smoking [nicotine binds the dopamine in your brain; the zyban/welbutrin unhooks it and you no longer crave the nicotine, since you finally have some dopamine available to you. does it make sense that you're making your dopamine levels worse by using nicotine? it's the same principle of craving carbs...]. it's been theorized that there will be some long-term applicability to other addictions, like FOOD.

now, all i need is a job.

oh. and one more thing [yes, i could just keep going like this]. i noticed that peachie didn't tell ya'll about her own adventures in the nursing home [unless i missed it.] she was in the elevator on her way to see me, with her new painting projects. unfortunately, the head of the arts and crafts dept was on the elevator as well, and oohed and aaahhed over peachie's efforts. and then tried to recruit her into helping the residents paint!!
Old 04-06-2002, 12:14 PM   #2  

Oh my Jif, you were up late last night!

You are so very welcome, Peach may be your biological sister, but we here at 3fc are your cyber-sisters and we were pulling for you and praying so very hard for your success. It must have been a very difficult decision, but it sounds like you make the right choice for you.

I am so proud of you and so glad to have you back on the boards, your fingers speak such words of wisdom.

(((((((((LUV & HUGS))))))))))))
Old 04-06-2002, 01:53 PM   #3  

Jiff, these gals were and are amazing!

and...the arts and craps lady is now occupying your old room...sorry! did I forget to tell ya?

peach
Old 04-06-2002, 07:21 PM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

JIff you bring tears to my eyes. Your very welcome. I have been folowing your progress and am so glad to see you make souch wonderful improvements!! and well to hear it from your point of view WOW you have gone to heck and back.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:35 PM   #5  
Senior Chicky

Jif ~~ The power of prayer and love from all our wonderful friends here is amazing! I am so very glad that you are doing so well.

Glad to have you back in the hen house!

Janice

PS ~~ Peach, think I didn't notice the "craps" comment?
Old 04-07-2002, 11:03 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I saw that too but hoped it was a typo
Old 04-08-2002, 09:10 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

Default you two know peachie better than that!!!!!

of COURSE she meant it!!!!

Old 04-08-2002, 04:30 PM   #8  

Of course it was a typo! I meant to put an f in front of arts!!!

I am so ashamed!

peach
Old 04-08-2002, 04:34 PM   #9  

Default LOL!

Oh Peachie! You crack me up!!!

Jiff, BTW, thanks for the sweet message!

Kel
Old 04-08-2002, 05:40 PM   #10  
Livin' La Vida Loca

Jiff -- thanks for those details of your amazing story (I'm thinking book here -- you could even put in a bunch of that chemistry stuff to impress the eggheads!)

I don't think I've ever told you this -- but you're special to me. I know we're all "special" (take that any way you want!) -- but you're 'specially special.

And now, I'm remembering to thank God for answering all those prayers! I'm so excited to hear about you getting your life back! You've been given such a gift -- and so have we because we're getting to share it with you.

Hugs and happy tears!
Cherie