Old 02-21-2002, 10:52 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Thumbs down for jaelynn

sorry it took me so long to see your message.. i'm not on line very much these days.

i use a protein shake from GNC that has 55 grams of protein and less than 7 grams of carb. can't remember the name, but it comes in alpine vanilla [gross!!!] chocolate [not too bad]. i mix it with about 6 oz of lactaid 1% milk and a scant teaspoon of ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa. oh, and some ice cubes. it tastes better really really cold. now, if only i could figure out a way to turn this into something resembling ice cream i'd be a happier woman!!!!

the crazy nutritionist said that we could add extracts or sugar free jello powder to the shakes to make them taste better or different, but the dingbat didn't mention the need to melt the jello in a little boiling water before mixing the shake [the little granules of gelatin are FOUL!!!]. but, in my opinion, nothing helped the vanilla and i had to return it.

and then i tried mixing in some crystal light powder. much better taste and texture, but still not enough to save this particular brand of vanilla. another sister gave me a good soy-based vanilla, but it only has 23 grams of protein and 15 grams of carbs, and i need more protein.

there's a website... www.vitalady.com she will send you 1-oz samples of protein shakes for 2 bucks each, with a 10 buck minimum order. i haven't tried this yet, but lots of folks in the support group have, and they report good success.

hope this helps....

keep up the good work!!!
Old 02-21-2002, 11:22 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Try Scotch in the shake, Jiff.

I laugh at your signature line every time I see it.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:15 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd LOVE to have scotch in it, but not for a few months... drat!!!

and glad you get a giggle from my line...

another favorite, and one that has been called the family motto, is

LOVE WITHOUT IRRITATION IS JUST LUST.

it's from a Neal Simon play, but i don't remember which one...

many hugs....
Old 02-25-2002, 11:30 AM   #4  

Hi, Jiffy--

Thanks for the tip. I have Designer protein powder, which I've been adding to fruit and yogurt. The vanilla is still pretty awful, but I'm almost done with the can, and I will move on to the chocolate. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, but you've reminded me to try some stevia, which I have in the cupboard somewhere, and wasn't bad.

Scotch sounds like our best bet....Thanks for the tips! jaelynn