Old 12-04-2001, 08:47 AM   #1  

Question Can I ask you all a question?

I have a question for all of you...I have been here before and I have been on low carb diets before...the problem is when people start telling me how unhealthy it is I get scared and I stop...I don't know how to deal with that...how do you all cope with people telling you what you are doing is wrong or bad for you? Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated...this is the only diet that has ever worked for me and I want to get back on track without all the criticism from others...HELP
Old 12-04-2001, 08:59 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default A Bit of Tough Love

Why are you even discussing it with them - unless they are dieticians or bariatricians? The best way to deal with these folks is to smile and ignore their questions and change the subject.

First of all you need to be absolutely convinced that this plan is for you. Have you read the books? Did you go back and re-read all your other posts and the responses? If you do plan to defend this type of diet, you need to do your homework.

By the way, did you talk to your doctor about the plan? Seems to me one of your posts dealt with a blood sugar issue.

Good luck but you need to rely on knowledge and skill.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:18 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Melk

First of all every person is different and every diet works differently for each one of us sooooooooooo whats good for you may not be good for them and vice verse. You do what is right for your body.

Some folks might even be jealous and try to make you stop......DON'T

I wouldn't even discuss it with people its none of thier bussiness anyway.
You go for your Dream and DON'T give up !!!!!!!!!! what ever it takes but always do it safely.

Love Leens
Old 12-04-2001, 12:59 PM   #4  

I have to agree with the others, you shouldn't be discussing this with others anyway. You can avoid the sabotage by keeping it to yourself and when you have lost all the weight then they'll ask what your "secret" is! We here are the ones that can truly appreciate the struggles and the dedication it takes to stay with a WOE so come here and talk to us if you need to! Good Luck to you
Old 12-04-2001, 06:46 PM   #5  
Slimwithin

Melk, I understand your problem. It's hard not to want to discuss dieting with your friends and acquaintances because, let's face it, dieting is a big topic these days. Everyone seems to have an opinion too which doesn't make it any easier. If you're not around food it's much easier to avoid the topic totally, but if you're in a social situation and your friends ask you why youdon't have a piece of cake or a cookie ..."One little taste can't hurt you" it's difficult to explain. I think your best answer would be to say, "My doctor wants me to limit the amount of carbohydrates I take in and I DO feel better when I avoid sweets and starches". No need to even mention weight loss.
If they also question why you're avoiding bread, you can simply say "I seem to have developed an allergy to wheat products"...no need to mention the carbo factor at all.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:56 PM   #6  
Give Peace A Chance !

I don't think there is any need to lie or soft soap the subject with your friends. You need to let them know that they will have to respect you and your choices as to what you will do for your health and you'll do the same for them. I think it comes down to a matter of plain RESPECT

When you have people that truely respect you they accept that you are improving yourself and have done your research and made the best choice for you, although it may differ from what they may choose for themselves.

Don't take this off of them , put them in their place and let them know they will have to respect you like you respect them. Plain and simple.