Old 10-27-2001, 11:06 AM   #1  

Default Low carb symposium/Dept. of Agriculture

Thought somebody might be interested in this article. The participants were - a Moderator, the Under Sec. of Food, the Sec. of Agriculture, Dr. ATKINS, Dr. SEARS, Dr. BETHEA, Dr. Keith-Thomas Ayoob, Dr. Denise Bruner, Dr. John McDougall and Dr. Dean Ornish.

Actually, the symposium is called the Great Nutrition Debate but looking at some of the familiar "faces" - I'm interested to hear what they all had to say ! It's a bit old Feb. 24, 2000 and it's unedited (which might be interesting) but I still think it may be interesting to read. Rather lengthy - 135 pages but I flipped the printer paper 1/2 way thru (printed side up) and did it on the other side too.

Just thought I'd share !!! Denise
Old 10-27-2001, 01:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Can you post a link?

I'd like to read that, can you tell us where you found it?

Sherrie
Old 10-27-2001, 02:51 PM   #3  

Hi Sherrie !

Sorry, I thought I'd included it before ! It's at www.usda.gov/cnpp/Seminars/GND/Proceedings.txt . I haven't got to read it myself yet - maybe later. Enjoy !!! Denise
Old 10-28-2001, 12:08 AM   #4  

Talking I can't believe i read the whole thing!

I sat here until I almost turned into a zombie, and I read that transcription, and I wanted to cry. Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, you name it. We are at risk for it. Simply because we eat too much, or too little, or too much of the wrong thing and too little of the right thing. All these doctors sit there and say we see these results, we see these symptoms, and we help these people. They do it differently, and they argue about it. The fact is, Dr. Atkins and Dr. Sears have helped people and Dr. Ornish has helped people, but in different ways, on different diets. They NEVER said, try this and see if it works for you. I think maybe I'm more confused than ever.

I know how I used to eat, and it turned me into a 267 pound version of myself. Now I eat the Atkins way, and I am reaping the results. I bought his book for less than $5 and I don't buy his vita-nutrient supplements, his bake mixes, his protein bars, or any of the things that are "putting money in his pocket." I would buy this man a Christmas gift if he would take it! That is how dramatically he and his research have changed my life.

I wish people would be more open-minded and less critical of him and his way of eating, which has been copied by Protein Power, the Zone, and even Lean for Life. People have to do what they are comfortable with, eat what they choose, and live with the results!!

Sorry, I tend to get defensive. Getting off my soapbox now.

Thanks for the link!

Sherrie
Old 10-28-2001, 07:23 AM   #5  

You're welcome Sherrie ! I've not gotten to read it yet. Hopefully, at lunch today. BTW - how much have you lost so far on Atkin's ? (if you don't mind my asking) I'm still deciding which plan to follow ? Sounds like you're doing Great ! Take care, Denise p.s. Do you have his newer book ? I'm sure if you wrote to him or called (it's all in there) - he'd love to hear how you're doing ! I think you can also leave a message on his website site. TTUL !
Old 10-28-2001, 09:09 AM   #6  

I read the article, and I am more convinced now than ever that the Atkins program is the one for me. I am a strong Atkins supporter. In another life, I lost over 70 pounds on his program. Because of many variables, I regained all my weight and more; after keeping it of for over 5 years. I have recently lost 50 pounds, and have 29 to 35 more pounds to lose...and I WILL lose it. ONLY this time, I will stay on the maintenance program the rest of my life.

Undertand...this is truly not a DIET...it is a new way of life. It's all in the reprogramming of your mentality toward better health and a new you.

Lee
Old 10-28-2001, 10:53 AM   #7  

Talking Congrats, Lee!

Wow! I know you can do it, you've already done it once, and I am in awe of you! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who loves Atkins, no matter how foolish people say I am. I feel healthier now than I ever have on any other so-called diet, and the results are showing.

At my heaviest I was 267, and through starvation I was able to lose to 198. Then I got pregnant, and after I had the baby I weighed 212. Well, those pound looked so lonely I decided to add some more to a nice "round" number at 230. I decided recently that if I didn't take myself in hand I would be at 267 again really quickly, and I researched programs on this site. I asked a million questions, looked at people's stories, and read voraciously. Atkins stood out as something I could do for the rest of my life.

My first induction I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks, which I thought was wonderful. Keep in mind, this is all pretty recent. Then, TOM came and I was a bad girl!! However, I only gained back 1 pound, so I realized that even when I was cheating, I was still being careful, because I remember what the book says.

So, starting tomorrow, it's another induction for me, and I hope to lose 10 more, and go on to KEEP ON PROGRAM!!! Who knows, slowly but surely, I'll be 150 again. The last time I weighed that much was in 8th or 9th grade, I think!!

Enough about me, I tend to ramble. Everyone have a great day!!

Sherrie
Old 10-28-2001, 07:21 PM   #8  

Did anyone else notice how "mean" people were to Dr. Atkin's ??? Even the moderator threw in a pot shot in the end ! I think my blood would have been boiling !!! Take care, Denise