3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Low Carb Archive (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-archive-42/)
-   -   new and confused! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/low-carb-archive/10403-new-confused.html)

melk 10-22-2001 08:45 AM

new and confused!

Hello everyone :) My name is Melissa and I think I need some help. I had been on the Atkins diet about a year ago and lost 50 pounds. I have since gone off and the weight, I think, is slowly comming back. I don't see much of a difference on the scale, but my clothes don't fit the way they used to. I want to lose more weight, at least another 30 pounds, which would bring me down to around 150. I know I could do it with the Atkins diet, but I am worried about all the things I read and hear about the diet. They say that it might help now, but down the road it could lead to heart and kidney problems because of all the fatty protein. I don't know what to do. I know that I can't eat meat and cheese for the rest of my life. But maybe a modified version of the diet could bring me in for the long haul.

I could really use your experiences and help at this point. And some encouragement too. :o I check in at least twice a day. I just found this site yesturday and it instantly became my favorite. I hope I can finally do this now! Thank you all in advance for any help or suggestions you can give me! Big Hugs to you all :o Mel

Leenie 10-22-2001 10:54 AM

Hi Melissa and welcome !!

If your afraid of the Atkins diet you might want to try the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet or Weight Watchers Low Carb....these diets alow (in my opinion) more carbs than atkins.

Hope it helps.
Love, Leens :dizzy:

peach pit 10-22-2001 12:57 PM

Hi Melissa and Welcome!

I agree with Leens that perhaps you may want to consider a different program if Atkins is making you nervous. (although some people's tests have actually improved while on it) Run don't walk to your nearest library and check out CALP and Protein Power. Also check out the ww/lc board and the Sugar Busters board on this site. Lots of good info there!

Good luck and keep posting so that we can get to know you!

peach

melk 10-22-2001 09:55 PM

Hey Peach! Thanks for the advise! I never thought of it before but I think before I got the atkins book, I think I bought Protein Power and never did read it! I will have to hunt it out! Thanx again! :) Mel

nasus40 10-22-2001 10:50 PM

I am a big PP fan here and they do have a new book out called PP life plan you may want to check it out from the library. i hear it is a great read if you want to go that way. they go on the stages and the trick is to SLOWLY introduce the carbs back in the diet when you get to goal. that is where you probable went wrong but PP has many things in it they talk about transfatty acids, good fats and bad fats so they go into much detail. i do go to their web site and get mauch info there and help when i am confused. but they i think are more concious about the fat as well as the types of carbs. i do believe the new atkins also does the same thing rather than the old one. but please do nt hesitate to ask any questions we will help.

Dneees 10-23-2001 07:21 AM

Atkin's article

Hi Mel, Sue and everyone else ! :)

I'm still undecided myself which "diet" I'm gonna follow ? Right now, I'm just counting my carbs and trying to limit them to 20 a day. Guess I'll check out Protein Power also. So Sue - how long has it taken you to lose your 58 lbs. so far ? (if you don't mind me asking) :)

Mel - you might want to check out this week's First for women magazine (quickly before it's gone). It's the 10/29 issue. It's got a Great article in it about the Atkin's diet and a couple of people are finally speaking out in his defense saying that it works and it has no effect on kidney function or bone density. That study was from Duke University ! However, I do see in the lower right hand corner of page 2 of the article... Dr. Atkin does say that the diet may be too rigorous for pregnant women or people with kidney disease. (Of course you can't be on WWs anymore if you're pregnant either.)

I guess once we check them all out - we'll be able to decide which one we can stick to - for life ! :)

Good luck and have a Great day ! :) Denise

melk 10-23-2001 08:53 AM

Hello Denise! :) I will have to try to get my hands on the article. See where I get confused is here:

About a year ago I went to my doctor for some problems I was having with feeling tired all the time. He tested everything and everything came back fine. So he had me take a glucose test where I couldn't eat anything for like twelve hours before the test. I went to the lab first thing in the morning. I think I started at 7:30am. First they took my blood to see what my starting point was. Then they made me drink this god awful stuff that was like really really surgary sprite. I had to come back at 8:30 to check the blood again. And then again at 9:30. Before I left at 9:30 the nurse told me that would be the last time I would be able to leave because the affects would be kicking in at any time. Boy was she right! I went to a store to buy some magazines, thinking I would be at the clinic another 3 hours. By the time I was heading back for my 10:30 check, I was starting to shake and sweat. (It was like November in Wisconsin-which is cold) I had to take my coat off by the time I got back I was so hot. My legs were shaking so badly I didn't think I would make it inside. The nurse grabbed me and helped me into a chair, took blood for the last time and got me a candy bar. She said under normal conditions I should never reach for a candy bar because it will just raise my levels and then drop them again more rapidly, but she needed to get me stable.

So to make a long story longer :dizzy: My doctor told me I am glucose intolerant and suggested I follow a low carb diet. I had his permission to go ahead and I did do it for quite awhile after that. But that is when I started hearing all the bad stuff. At first I told myself that it was just people who were jealous saying all that stuff. They didn't want people to lose the weight. They wanted me to stay fat forever. But the more I heard, the more unsure I became. Like I said, I guess I will have to try to find that article. I don't have kidney problems. I had stones once, like 6 years ago, and sometimes get infections, but other then that, everything is ok!

Thanks for listening. I hope you will check back with me! Big Hugs to all :o Mel

Ruthxxx 10-23-2001 09:01 AM

Mel, Go with what your doctor says! It sounds as if you are a Type II Diabetic like me. My glucose levels were way out of whack. After low-carbing for well over a year, I am perfectly normal now for all tests. Your kidneys should have no problem if you drink all your water.

Ignore the nay-sayers! Remember, people used to think the world was flat and there were some who said computers were just a craze like the hula-hoop! It's not that they want you to stay fat - they are just worried about your health. I just thank folks for their concern and smile politely - no sense arguing.

DonDar 10-23-2001 09:56 AM

Welcome Melissa!

The nay-sayers are dwindling in numbers and low carbing is becoming widely favored. You have made a wise choice. Post often, it is a great addition to any slimdown effort!

Hope to see you around,

jenny
:smug:

nasus40 10-23-2001 11:48 AM

mel grab you book and read it thoroughly, that will explan all that has happened to you i have a mild case of the same but it is when i eat too much sugar i start to get hypoglycemic, and have the same thing. get back on low carb immediatly that will lead to diabeties wehn you are older and then you will have more problems i have never felt better than i do now. i went to a wedding this weekend ans was able to dance a whole dance all at one not just ready to give up after the first 1 min!!!!I dances several dances!!! i even danced the twist for the whole time twisting the entiretime!!!! WOW

no i do not mind you asking how long it took me i have been doing PP sicne july 2000 BUT i have taken some hiatiuses about 6 months worth and have droped from a very tight 22 (24 actually) to a size 14!!!! i have my 14's on right now and they feelgreat and they are not tight!!!! I was at the gym this morning and ran on the treadmill. i did it in spurts of 2-3 min with rests but i did it and had a great time!!! I LOVE IT!!! i have had stalls and months of not eating to the fullest but i really have been trying to get to goal in a slow pace. My goal is to have about 15% body fat i started with a lean body mass of 94 lbs which would bring my goal weight to about 130, but my lean body mass is about 130 now so my goal weight is closer to 150.

so welcome girls and any questions and help just ask!!!

melk 10-23-2001 12:17 PM

You guys are all so great! I can't believe I found this site! Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement! This is soooooooo great! I feel better already! Now, if I could just find a website this great for my english setter, life would be perfect! :lol:

I will keep checking in with all of you! I have decided to start my plan on Monday. I know this sounds like a cop-out or something, but we already have groceries for this week and I don't want them to go to waste. I have been making small changes already though. Like last night we had tacos for supper. I just had mine without the shells! But we go full force on Monday so I can stock my fridge with what I need over the weekend!

Big Hugs to you all!~ Mel :D :D :D

Dneees 10-23-2001 02:51 PM

Protein Power book

Hi Mel and everyone else ! :) Hey Mel - if you can find that Protein Power book of yours - I'd read it ! I've got them both and I think the Protein Power one reads better than the Atkin's one. I'm not sure exactly why ? but maybe there's less defensiveness ? Not that it isn't justified with all he's had to put up with ! It's funny how people at lunch were all giving me a hard time about low carbing and especially Dr. Atkin's - when they have not only not lost weight in the 10 years I've known them (while attending TOPS) but they're even heavier ! Don't they see it's not working ? !!! One had even tried the Zone before herself ! I wish I'd thought to point that out ! :) Anyway... I was so impressed with how well Sue is doing - that I left those lunchmates and walked down to the bookstore and bought myself not only the newer version of Protein Power but also the little booklet for my purse ! :) I'm not a mean person but I'm gonna enjoy getting thinner and thinner each week when I meet these people for lunch and who knows ? Maybe someday... they'll ask me again how I'm doing it ! :) :) Let's read those books of ours Mel and we can start this together ! :) Take care and I'll TTUL ! Denise

Dneees 10-23-2001 03:01 PM

To Sue

Hi Sue ! Thanks for the info ! Congrats on your running on the treadmill today ! I used to like to do that too. :) Eventually... I'll get back to it. I even want to get back to weight training again. So, how come you want to go so low with your body fat % ? That's awfully low from what I've been reading. According to Covert BAiley - 22 % is about right unless you're on hormones or birth control pills in which case you're allowed a bit more. Wow - you've sure built up the muscles ! :) I've got some extra ones that I can afford to lose myself. Not that any of them are working very well right now. BTW - how tall are you ? I'm 5'4" and with the muscles I have... he's got me figured for a goal weight of about 167. That will probably go down tho if/as I lose some of this extra muscle weight. We'll see, I remeasure in a week or so.

I've been telling everyone how you've inspired me so I ran out and bought the Protein Power new books today ! :) I'm looking forward to reading them later on today. Thanks for the idea !!! :) I'm hoping they might be a little easier to follow than the Atkin's that I've already got. Well, gotta run and pick up the little one from school ! Talk to you later ! :) Denise

Chickadee 10-23-2001 06:15 PM

Hi Melk
I don't have much advice about Atkins, because I'm a devoted CAD girl. So why am I posting here you ask? Because I have two wonderful, sweet, gentle, adorable, trim-needing English Setters sitting at my feet snoring right now! (Oh yeah, a black lab too!) Are they the best dogs or what? I grew up showing them and ever since have always had at least a couple of show-dog rejects living with me.
A day without an English Setter is like a day without Protein...or something like that!

[IMG]C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\Family\Desktop\dog2.gif[/IMG]
Okay, it's not a setter but it's a dog!
Chickadee

melk 10-23-2001 10:07 PM

to chickadee!!!

Oh my god! I thought we were the last people in the whole world to have a setter! This is the first one we have ever had and I could sure use someone to talk to about her. Would you be my "puppy buddy"? :^: My email address is [email protected]. Please let me know if you can help me! I searched for 3, count them 3 hours this morning and found nothing of use to me! Thank you thank you thank you!! Mel:D :D :D :D

PS Dumb ?---What is CAD? Is that carb addicts? Let me know, I feel so unknowing! :lol: