Skirt sizing frustration

• I *&^@ hate skirts. I don't understand how they're sized.....at all.

I bought two skirts at a yard sale today. They're both size 14, and even though I'm wearing size 10/11 in pants, I decided to get them because they were cheap and very cute and I hoped maybe they would fit me okay.

I tried them on when I got home and they're not even close to fitting me. Not too BIG, but too SMALL. So I measured and the waistband is 30 inches. The waistband on my size 10 jeans is 34 inches. That makes zero sense! How can a size 14 be that much smaller than a size 10? WTH?
  • I would probably say that it could be vanity sizing or that maybe the brand runs in a different countries' sizing.
    I doubt you would have had such a big size difference if you had bought the skirt at a store, but since it was from a yard sale, you may not know how old the skirts are, so it could be vanity sizing over the years. But it sounds that you most likely bought a size 14 UK which seems to be roughly a size 8 US.
  • My guess is your jeans are newer and therefore have "vanity sizing" built in.

I wear an 8 in jeans, but we both know I shouldn't be anywhere near an 8 lol
  • It's highly likely that your jeans are "vanity" sized. Skirts and shorts etc usually follow "real" sizing, while the jean manufacturing business has thoroughly hopped right on the vanity size bandwagon.

ETA: You can check by measuring your waist. If your waist is 29" or a bit smaller, you're a "true" sz 10. A 14 would be 32" waist.
  • I'm starting to think that skirts follow vanity sizing, too. I bought 2 skirts from Title 9, size M, and they are too big. There is no way I am a size S. But I placed an order last night for the same skirts in S, so we'll see.

For the yard sale skirts? I'm betting they are older. Also, I'm finding that with my older clothes, they have a lot less give than newer clothes. Fabrics seem to be a lot more stretchy now. My old jeans are 100% cotton, which I like. I can't find 100% cotton jeans in the store anymore.
  • I am sorry to say, but you are probably not a true size 10/11 but you usually wear pants that are vanity sized. The skirts are most likely true in size, which is getting harder to find now a days.

With the mix of true size and vanity sizing going on, its important to always try it on or have a good thorough look at it and not even pay attention to the number on the tag. I have shirts ranging from XS to XL based on odd sizing scales. I tend to wear the exact same pant brand which, depending on the jean, can be 32" or 31", also known has a 11/12 for these jeans.
  • All of this could be very well be true - vanity sizing, age of clothing, etc.

But when it comes to skirts I think it also has to do with how they are designed and how they are expected to fit. Skirts seem to be created for women who are shaped like this: /\ You know, with a waist?

I pretty much measure 34 inches from my chest (bra band) to my hips. I don't have that "narrowest part" where your waist is supposed to be. And when I do that thing where you bend sidewise to see where you bend because that's supposed to be your waist? It's about 2 inches below my bra band and 5 inches above my belly button. I don't think that's my waist. Or is it? Why would I want to wear pants/skirts all the way up there?

The only jeans/slacks that fit me properly are lower rise, like an inch or so below my belly button. "Mom jeans" fit me as horribly as skirts do. Do they make low rise skirts?

Surely there are other non-waisted women who find skirts frustrating?
  • With a 34" waist you could wear a sz 14 skirt from Style J. (They make the best skirts IMO.)
  • Also, if you bought them at a yard sale they could have been altered. I've had all of my size 22 and 24 pants taken in so they're about a size 18 now.
  • Just to clarify: this is not just the yard sale skirts.....it's skirts in general. The ones I purchased at the yard sale just pushed me to the point of frustration that I created this post.

Over the past few months, I've occasionally tried on skirts but never found anything that fit. And then this afternoon I went through my bin of "maybe these will fit someday" clothes. NONE of the skirts fit...not the 12s, not the 14s, not the 16s. They are different vintages, different designers, different fabrics, etc. but none of them fit. So, yes, I think it really is about how skirts are designed and how I am shaped.

Apparently I'm a total freak since no one has chimed in to say they also have this problem.
  • I never buy anything without trying it on and I don't care what number the size says on the tag.
  • Quote: Just to clarify: this is not just the yard sale skirts.....it's skirts in general. The ones I purchased at the yard sale just pushed me to the point of frustration that I created this post.

Over the past few months, I've occasionally tried on skirts but never found anything that fit. And then this afternoon I went through my bin of "maybe these will fit someday" clothes. NONE of the skirts fit...not the 12s, not the 14s, not the 16s. They are different vintages, different designers, different fabrics, etc. but none of them fit. So, yes, I think it really is about how skirts are designed and how I am shaped.

Apparently I'm a total freak since no one has chimed in to say they also have this problem.
    No, you're not the only one to have this problem. I have straight shape. My waist is only 3 inches smaller than my hips. I frequently have trouble buying both skirts and pants that have fitted waists.
  • Quote: No, you're not the only one to have this problem. I have straight shape. My waist is only 3 inches smaller than my hips. I frequently have trouble buying both skirts and pants that have fitted waists.
    Thank you! Now, if we could just find a solution...