Shoe size change :/ What to do?

• So I've started my weight loss journey about a month and half ago. It's been going quite well, but I now face a new problem.

My wardrobe.

Clothing wise, not a big problem. But shoes...!

My feet has changed from a 7.5/8 to a 7/6.5. No matter how much I stuff or put little pads at the back of my old large selection of shoes, it does not fit properly, so walking is really uncomfortable. I never anticipated that your feet would actually change sizes when you loose weight, so I am now stuck with a ton of shoes in sizes I cannot wear. I've got about 40 more lbs to go to my goal, and I'm assuming this will happen again.

So at this point, should I purchase more shoes, or should I figure out a way to stuff the shoes I have now and make it fit some how...? I do need nice shoes for work as well as client visits. In addition a wedding in Feb. How do you guys handle this problem?
  • I would buy new shoes.
  • I would actually go take a look at a thrift store, or outlets if you can. No point spending huge amounts of money on new things when you're still going to be changing. I'd look into getting about 2-3 pairs of decent shoes: 1 pair of walking shoes/sneakers, 1 pair of boots (I like ankle boots...no worry about the boot not zipping up my calf and looks good with jeans or dress pants. Something with this kind of style), and a pair of pumps/small heels that can be worn with multiple things (aim for a neutral color like white, black or tan).

My clothes are just starting to look a little odd on me...the busts aren't filling in as much (not happy about that ), and the fit is just barely starting to look loose. I know I'll have to start getting some new things that fit better, and the first places I'm going to look are thrift stores and goodwill, and try to find things that can be worn multiple different ways so I can maximize my small budget.
  • That sounds inconvenient, but seeing how important shoes are for our health, I would buy a pair of new shoes if you can afford it. Maybe see if you can scope out some sales and retail outlets? And perhaps in the meantime, just buy a replacement pair or two and wait to replace your entire shoe wardrobe until you reach goal.
  • I went from a 9 to a 8/8.5. I bought an entirely new shoe collection.

OH RATS. This just broke my heart.
  • I would buy a new pair or two to tide you over if you can afford it. even payless level will work for a little while.

I would avoid getting shoes from a thrift shop if you can (unless you can tell they were never or rarely worn) once shoes are "broken in" to one persons feet, another person buying and wearing them can cause problems to the second persons feet because the pressure points are likely in the wrong places.
  • My foot shrunk 1.5 sizes. For me there was no getting around it...I had to buy all new shoes. Like the above poster said I would try to buy a pair or two of new versatile shoes in the meantime if you can.
  • Be careful buying used shoes. Really examine the soles -- if they're man-made, over time, the material doesn't hold up well. I've had several pairs of Clarkes that looked barely worn, but the soles crumbled with a couple of wearings -- kind of like dry rot. I think they were older than I thought they were...even though they looked new.

Try zappos for shoes online, too. They have free returns, and you can search for a particular style you may see in a store and they might have a better price online.

I use a lot of stick-on shoe accessories, too -- the pads that go inside the shoe at the heel and in the ball of the foot to keep your foot from slipping. I've used Dr. Schoals (sp) inserts, too. It just helps fill up the shoe, and makes it fit a little better.

Enjoy your new petite feet!
  • I lost a shoe size too! When I have to, I wear two pairs of socks!
  • I have had to do the same. I was a size 9 before I gained weight and got up to a 10.5 (wide) at my max. At least I know approximately where I will end up. I lost most of the shoe size early on. You may lose more width, but not much more length.

I invested in good runners at my current size, that was essential. I brought shoes that are less reliant on an exact fit, unlike standard court shoes, or have adjustable straps. I think it has settled now. It seems like the last area that plumped up and was the first to refine. I hope so am going on holidays and planning on buying expensive shoes soon.
  • I think my feet have gotten a little smaller too, although maybe not a whole size smaller....while I don't notice it in my sneakers, I did notice it a lot this summer, where the sandals that fit last summer don't fit well this summer and my toes stick out past the front end...because I could put my feet farther into them now...drove me nuts lol
  • I would get new shoes. Ill fitting shoes cause too much pain, and your feet are so important to life, that it's not worth wearing shoes that don't fit.

My favorite store for inexpensive shoes is Forever XXI. I have found ballet flats for as little as 5 bucks; it's a cheap way of just getting something to have on your feet. Sometimes Old Navy has them on sale too. And at the outlet mall, I can usually get Sketchers on a Buy One/Get one 1/2 off deal.
  • Go to a reputable place, get your feet sized and buy at least one pair of proper fitting and comfy shoes!

Trust me you do not want to have trouble with your feet! Plantar Faciatis, (spelling?), along with other foot issues, sucks!

The PF, I had to crawl up the stairs in the morning from our bedroom, my feet hurt so bad!
  • Plantar Fasciitis certainly is a nightmare, and so slow to heal. Properly fitted shoes with good arch support is key to preventing all sorts of other painful foot issues from blisters, calluses, and bunions, to achilles tendonitis, and even stress fractures.

Padded hiking socks or wearing two pair of thick socks can help in a pinch, but really only works for casual shoes and if your feet don't sweat much. Not much fun indoors or during warm weather.

Buy the best shoes you can afford. It really pays in the long run. If possible, buy shoes that have some adjustibility built in. Shoes with ties or straps across the instep that can be tightened up if you lose a bit more foot weight.
  • Quote: So I've started my weight loss journey about a month and half ago. It's been going quite well, but I now face a new problem.

My wardrobe.

Clothing wise, not a big problem. But shoes...!

My feet has changed from a 7.5/8 to a 7/6.5. No matter how much I stuff or put little pads at the back of my old large selection of shoes, it does not fit properly, so walking is really uncomfortable. I never anticipated that your feet would actually change sizes when you lose weight, so I am now stuck with a ton of shoes in sizes I cannot wear. I've got about 40 more lbs to go to my goal, and I'm assuming this will happen again.

So at this point, should I purchase more shoes, or should I figure out a way to stuff the shoes I have now and make it fit some how...? I do need nice shoes for work as well as client visits. In addition a wedding in Feb. How do you guys handle this problem?
    First of all congratulations. Secondly-your feet must have had fat on them too--otherwise you wouldn't be having to buy new shoes--so congratulations on that too.

As far as your foot bone structure and tendons--they don't shrink, if anything they grow with age. You're just probably looking at your true foot size--before you gained all the weight.

If it were me--I would be dancing all the way to the shoe store for more shoes ha.ha. Just go buy some comfortable shoes that you can wear most of the time--and get down to your goal weight--then do some serious shopping for others if you want them?