3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Looking Good, Feeling Great (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great-204/)
-   -   How do you keep shorts from riding up? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/looking-good-feeling-great/284667-how-do-you-keep-shorts-riding-up.html)

TofuSprinkles 07-11-2013 01:53 PM

How do you keep shorts from riding up?

So... It's summer and I live in the south. I've got a few pair of good looking shorts that covers just enough but not too long to look frumpy.
However... here's the age old question I've always wanted answers for.

How do you keep them from riding up when you walk?
It has been the great issue that keeps me from wearing these lovely shorts. Standing is fine, but the moment where you get out of the car, I'd have to discretely adjust them because they've went up at certain awkward places. Then if I were to walk beyond certain distance, I can feel them riding up in the middle. I know it is awkward because I've seen it happen on other people. You can't just pull at them right in public while you are walking. Is there a solution to this? :?:

amandie 07-11-2013 02:00 PM

I definitely want an answer to this too. My shorts still ride up and I'm constantly adjusting although not as much when I was 230.

TofuSprinkles 07-11-2013 03:14 PM

I tried to wear those body shaper short shorts under before too. That did not work out either. the shaper goes up and then so does the shorts.

hhm6 07-12-2013 02:35 AM

Oh man I hope someone on here has some ideas for this because I wanted to ask the same question a few days ago! Thank you for asking!!!

I see girls running in really cute nike shorts and have stopped to ask them about them riding up and they told me that issue hasn't come up:?: Really?!!

Are those body shaper shorts above the knee? I was thinking those would work, but looks like they don't :(

Leaves 07-12-2013 05:39 AM

Still having this problem even now I've got down to the 130s, I guess it's just how my body is built, I see no inner thigh gap developing here! I just pull them down again to be honest, but try and do it discretely by giving one of the legs a quick tug. I've seen plenty of other people doing the same though, so I imagine that it's an issue for lots of us!

Other than attaching a bit of string and then tying it onto my shoes, I don't know if anything can be done! :shrug:

Hello Nurse 07-12-2013 08:27 AM

Ugh, I hate this. I have a double whammy because I have a flat butt. So I have the shorts riding up in the crotch while simultaneously sliding off my butt. So I'm constantly hiking them up in the back and tugging down in the front. Certain shorts do it worse than others. I also try to do the "discrete" side step to attempt to shake the shorts out from the middle. I'm sure it's much less discrete in life than it is in my head, lol!

dehtripper 07-12-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaves (Post 4791259)
Other than attaching a bit of string and then tying it onto my shoes

Haha, that just such a great mental picture. Probably not practical but...

I dunno but I've found more issues with cheaper, ill fitting (both too big or small) shorts to be the worst. What kinda of shorts are they? Like athletic ones? I recently bought some better quality cycling short-shorts and they pretty much stay in place, even when sprawling around on roller skates (derby). But I have cheap yoga shorts that wouldn't put up with any of that. I find jean shorts just fine since the fabric is stiff enough. I'm am a full-on rectangle body shape without thigh gap, just for reference.

To be honest though... even if they do ride up, as long as all import "bits" are covered, I just wear it anyhow. And remind myself everyone else is probably having some similar issues, so why bother dedicating brain space to caring. :o

TofuSprinkles 07-13-2013 11:47 PM

I've got shorts ranging from lace ones from Bar III (the least riding ones) from Macy's, one from Gap (rides sometimes), and there was one with Calvin Kline that just can't wait to ride up ";/ These CK ones are completely unwearable if I want to actually walk even just to my car, it's like 5 steps, tug, 5 steps, tug.
I've found that lighter shorts are tolerable when it rides up a lil, make a "wider" step haha, it'll fall back down. But there are some with heavier material, those are uncomfortable when they ride up, and they can't be adjusted unless you actually do the full tug.

Underwater 07-14-2013 03:20 AM

Well for me, starting at about 165 or so mine stopped riding up. I wear the Old Nave 5" inseam denim shorts and some Target baggy athletic shorts.

MAK247 07-14-2013 07:55 AM

I like the fitted athletic kind because of this. That being said, I hate how they look so I rarely wear shorts out in public. I did see some at target that had 2 layers, a spandex layer and a loose short over them, I thought about picking up a pair but I'm trying to keep from spending a lot of money on clothes right now. :(

Annik 07-14-2013 07:59 AM

I don't wear shorts for this reason.

Wonder though about those golfer/tennis player skirt shorts? Would they work?

LucreziaBorgia 07-14-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annik (Post 4792493)
I don't wear shorts for this reason.

Wonder though about those golfer/tennis player skirt shorts? Would they work?

Mom wears them all the time, she never had such issues.
I'd say give them a try.

cupcakegirl0909 10-23-2014 04:39 PM

your prayers have been answered

Hi! I know its been awhile since the question has been asked. But i have the answer!

Its so simple! Take deodorant and put it on the place that your shorts ride up and they stick to the deodorant.

Hope it helps!! :):carrot:

faiora 10-24-2014 12:12 PM

I think it's mostly about getting shorts that fit properly, have the right cut, and have a long enough inseam. That means trying out lots of shorts until you find the right ones for your shape. That said, it's going to be a lot tougher for some people than others.

For me, as long as the shorts are long enough that the hem is about 1" past the point where my thighs rub together, they don't bunch up. But my thighs rub together most of the way down (I do still weigh 285 lbs) so that rules out a lot of shorts.

The other thing that could help is reducing sweat, because the shorts will stick more and bunch up when they get damp. Some people use talcum/baby powder, some use antiperspirant (most deodorants probably would not work). If you want to use a natural product, the Soapwalla deodorant I use (it's in a blue jar) might - it keeps my armpits pretty dry, anyway, and it has natural clay in it.

You could also work on toning your thighs, which I imagine would help (although that's more of a slow, long term solution obviously). It would change your shape a bit. My guess is that it would be better to tone them in a less vigourous way than squats and lunges - maybe try cycling? That's less resistance over a longer time so might give you a more gradual and fine toning. But I'm no expert, so it would probably be best to ask a fitness trainer or someone else who knows about toning muscles.

toastedsmoke 10-27-2014 04:58 AM

The number 1 way to keep shorts from riding up in my opinion is not wearing them at all unless you have a boyish/child-like figure with the thigh gap. Womanly thighs or even thighs that touch and shorts are not a good match unless one enjoys constantly digging in the crack in public. For that reason, even though I live in the tropics with year round very high temperatures with high humidity, I never wear shorts, ever.

That said, if you're feel you must wear shorts, try a walking short. You know the long, trouser-like knee-length shorts? Because they're fitted and the length is long, it's a little harder to get that much ride up.

Alternatively you could wear skirts which can be just as light and airy and if not more so than shorts and if chafing is a problem, you can do bike shorts underneath. Or light weight pants y'know the linen-esque kind with the drawstring waist that blow in the wind?